Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2018 11:22:34 AM EDT
Gloved up or not, blood gets on you.

Ive seen guys dump a bottle of alcohol over their arms all the way down to ripping open a million little alcohol wipes designed to disinfect skin prior to an injection.

What would you add to your kit in order to perform this after action function?
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 11:26:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Carry around the pint bottles of hand sanitizer. I keep a couple bottles in the work vehicle along with packs of wet wipes. [disinfecting type] I've taken BATHS in the stuff after walking out of nasty houses.

I use the CoreTex brand. Works fine.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 2:24:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Hospital grade wipes
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 2:43:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I carry hand sanitizer bottles and Lysol in a spray can. I typically use the Lysol when there is actual body fluids on me and just use the hand sanitizer when I'm not sure. I also carry several rolls of the heavy blue paper towels.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 8:21:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Ask the medics what they use and then use what they have.

I have a large bottle of hand sanitizer that I use frequently, not for good amounts of blood though.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 8:51:30 PM EDT
[#5]
If your skin is intact you’re likely in good shape but if your skin is damaged you may not be able to do much.

Soap and water are absolutely the way to go if at all possible but I do use the wipes intended for our equipment if nothing else is available. Probably not manufacturer recommended but whatever.

https://www.tri-anim.com/wipe-dynarex-sani-cloth-bactericidal-tubercolocidal-virucidal-xl-product-34650-3862.aspx
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 10:58:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Our medics carry some stuff that comes in a shaving cream type can and foams up when you use it. They give us some if we need it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 7:14:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Our medics carry some stuff that comes in a shaving cream type can and foams up when you use it. They give us some if we need it.
View Quote
This is what we carry on the fire apparatus and ambulance.
Soap and water is still the best decon method, if you have access to it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 9:54:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Bleach
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 10:25:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 10:33:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Talking after sexy time, or walk up on a car wreck?
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 11:07:53 AM EDT
[#11]
This was years ago but our medics always used hydrogen peroxide.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 11:22:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Carry around the pint bottles of hand sanitizer. I keep a couple bottles in the work vehicle along with packs of wet wipes. [disinfecting type] I've taken BATHS in the stuff after walking out of nasty houses.

I use the CoreTex brand. Works fine.
View Quote
Pints, quarts, gallons.  Bring enough to party!  The ones with a push top dispenser are easier to use and get some volume into play.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 1:53:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Hand sanitizer is good in a pinch, but get something with >70% alcohol. A lot of cheaper brands lack alcohol concentration.

If hand washing is possible, get a bottle of Hibiclens. That's basically a surgical scrub that will kill everything on your skin.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 2:07:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If hand washing is possible, get a bottle of Hibiclens. That's basically a surgical scrub that will kill everything on your skin.
View Quote
This.

Betadine type liquids will kill everything as well, thats a wound care product, but it will stain your skin and everything else it comes into contact with. It's not a cleaner, it's just something that you would apply and leave it.

I would not trust so-called "hand sanitizers" with genuine biohazard. Bottle of rubbing alcohol would be better.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 2:45:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 1:46:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Cavicide.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top