Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2018 8:11:45 PM EDT
First off I don't need/want any tips on passing. My question is how long do these things take? I've given myself a 3 hour window from my current position to go take it. Is that enough time? I've already filled out the questionnaire for it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 9:03:28 PM EDT
[#1]
3 hrs should be plenty. 4 hrs if you want extra margin for delay getting started. Realistically, it shouldn't take more than about 2 hrs but can take more sometimes.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 9:03:45 PM EDT
[#2]
taken a few in my time, less than 30 minutes for each one. then again it was maybe a 20 question test with a DOZEN OR SO PREP QUESTIONS.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 3:26:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Its hard to say as you didn't say what kind of poly the FD is giving you, length depends on the type of Poly. Not all poly's are the same .

It can be a "full scope" background, which goes back to your childhood and goes over everything from stealing money from moms purse, to drugs, to doing weird things with animals and your hatred of chili with beans...

Or it can be a "limited scope" (I have also heard some refer to it as an "employment trust") poly which only addresses certain things like theft, criminal acts, etc.

I took a limited scope poly that addressed national security and foreign contact for a specific task at work and it was only three questions, each was asked three different ways. With the hook up, prep questions, test, break down and scoring I was out in an hour.

What department is this that does poly graphs for the FD? Never heard of an FD using a poly for their hiring process before. Its expensive and unproven voodoo.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 4:49:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Pretty much any department over 85 to 100 firefighters does it in Texas.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 10:20:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I actually called this morning to say I couldn't make it and I'd reapply next year. The polygraph examiner himself called back and said he'd wait around tomorrow if I could make it and it'd take two hours. He may be a complete ass in person but he seemed pretty chill on the phone and this is a department that loves DQing people for being 30 seconds late to interviews or written test so I was pretty shocked.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 10:35:06 PM EDT
[#6]
The examiner probably doesn't get paid unless he actually does the test.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 10:37:37 PM EDT
[#7]
WTF?????
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 10:43:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I actually called this morning to say I couldn't make it and I'd reapply next year. The polygraph examiner himself called back and said he'd wait around tomorrow if I could make it and it'd take two hours. He may be a complete ass in person but he seemed pretty chill on the phone and this is a department that loves DQing people for being 30 seconds late to interviews or written test so I was pretty shocked.
View Quote
Why wouldn't a department DQ someone for being 30 seconds late?
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 7:25:18 AM EDT
[#9]
yeah three to four hours should be enough time
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 5:21:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Breedy is spot on. I don't personally know you so please don't take offense if you already know this, but in the fire service, you need to be 30 to 45 minutes early for everything, every time. Interviews, tests, shift change, etc. Always be there early.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 6:06:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Breedy is spot on. I don't personally know you so please don't take offense if you already know this, but in the fire service, you need to be 30 to 45 minutes early for everything, every time. Interviews, tests, shift change, etc. Always be there early.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree, which is why I called two hours before my appointment to let them know I couldn't make it. Anyways I went through it today and it almost went too smooth. I got there an hour early and he took me on back. I was there a total of 45 mins and he said I'd being going onto the next phase. Hearing all horror stories made me want to ask if that was it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 2:58:11 AM EDT
[#12]
I don't get why you need a polygraph to be a fireman. L.A. County is close to 3000 uniformed personnel and doesn't do polygraphs. Backgrounds are very thorough though.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 9:23:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I don't get why you need a polygraph to be a fireman. L.A. County is close to 3000 uniformed personnel and doesn't do polygraphs. Backgrounds are very thorough though.
View Quote
I'm pretty much of the same mind regarding polygraph tests and my department is considering giving them for the next round of hires. Ultimately all a polygraph will tell you is if someone is being truthful, what is done with that information is up to the Chiefs.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 6:59:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm pretty much of the same mind regarding polygraph tests and my department is considering giving them for the next round of hires. Ultimately all a polygraph will tell you is if someone is being truthful, what is done with that information is up to the Chiefs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I agree, only the big 3 departments in my state do it. The weird thing is you do the polygraph before they start your background investigation. In my opinion it'd be easier the other way around.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 10:44:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top