Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2018 12:42:55 PM EDT
Gentlemen, I am in the process of a nasty divorce in which custody is a major issue.  My soon to be ex was attempting to use my non traditional schedule to deny temp. visitation while we slowly grind ahead.  I recently discovered through my attorney that my agency released my schedule to her through a foia request.

I am a bit chapped that I was not even given notice that the schedule was released weeks ago without my knowledge.  Aside from common courtesy issues I can also see officer safety concerns with this type of situation.

Does anyone else have any experience with this type of situation or suggestions moving forward to at least ensure notification occurs when schedules are released?
Thanks
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 1:53:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Your chief, chief deputy, shift sg should have discussed that with you, I know in my county the SA decides what to release FOIA wise, and will redact what is sensitive.

I agree she should not have been given material that now sits in the public domain, like in the court records open to anyone that cares.

What did your attorney say, he should have been given notice of that discovery.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 2:30:45 PM EDT
[#2]
No notice.  Her attorney just did a foia.  I don't know much about foia but I am surprised things like officers addresses and schedules aren't exempt.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 11:05:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No notice.  Her attorney just did a foia.  I don't know much about foia but I am surprised things like officers addresses and schedules aren't exempt.
View Quote
Depends on the agency... I know my agency (Fed LE) has denied multiple FOIA requests in the past few years for Agents names and addresses citing security concerns. With all the antifa/blm/wanna be freedom fighters, the last thing HQ wants to do is hand out a list of peoples homes to have these thugs publish on the net and then have a crowd show up at someone's door...

To the OP- As for shift schedules, did she get just your past work times? Or did she get what you will be working for the future? If its future work schedules, seems to me a quick conversation and request to your boss could change things enough to negate that FOIA info and put them back to square one
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 5:49:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Future schedule.  Thanks for the responses.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 6:34:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Future... wow that is all sorts of jacked up. HUGE security issue, as well as potential for shenanigans  like " i saw officer XYZ in his patrol car screwing a girl while on duty..." obviously you deny, she says she saw it AND YOU WERE ON DUTY at the time in question...
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 7:02:26 AM EDT
[#6]
People don't think working in the public sector be like it is, but it do.

Sadly, I think you're pretty much screwed. Pretty much everything is discoverable under FOIA.  Here in Michigan a few years ago the State Police was forced to release every MSP employee's name and what they were paid. I can't remember if their addresses were included or not, but it seems like I remember that being public info as well - at least the address on the paycheck.
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 11:36:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Dude, it sucks that you're going thru this & that the ex is trying to use your schedule against you.  I personally don't think it will go very far.  You are not the first/last officer on some messed up, rotating, on call, unhealthy/unnatural schedule to go through this.

I don't see a way to prevent the release of schedules through FOIA request.  Our's was discussed publicly when we went through meet & confer to settle it.  And if a citizen calls in to speak with us, dispatch tells them they will leave an message & when we're expected to be back at work.  Hell, even the info packet we give people involved in crashes tells the days/shift we work.

Good luck with the future.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 11:17:00 AM EDT
[#8]
FOIA does not apply to information that could cause harm.  Any agency releasing that kind of info needs to put a stop to it quick, fast, and in a hurry.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 12:29:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 5:19:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top