Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2018 7:48:54 AM EDT
Whats states are you in, and what are the restrictions on Civilian (non-felon) vehicle carry of rifles?

If its allowed, what are the restrictions? Loaded/Unloaded?

I am in Texas where there are no restrictions. I am curious what other states are allowing/requiring.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 7:57:01 AM EDT
[#1]
AZ you can drive with a loaded rifle across your lap unless you hit the res.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 8:03:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Ohio rifle can not be loaded which means only decent truck gun has to have a detachable mag.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 8:21:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Florida is legit as long as you have a CCW or it is "securely incased". A cardbox counts.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 8:30:12 AM EDT
[#4]
New York - rifle or shotgun must be unloaded in chamber and magazine while in a motor vehicle (includes boats, btw).
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 8:38:42 AM EDT
[#5]
No loaded firearms in the vehicle
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 9:57:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Oklahoma; Rifle can't be loaded in vehicle, partly due to road hunting during deer season.  Just another reason to have an AR pistol, not AR SBR, loaded and ready to go in your vehicle.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 9:58:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
New York - rifle or shotgun must be unloaded in chamber and magazine while in a motor vehicle (includes boats, btw).
View Quote
NH - Same. - Teh fish cops are convinced that everybody would be poaching.

Constitutional carry of a loaded handgun is OK, tho.
So a AR style pistol loaded is OK, but a SBR is not, in a vehicle.

Meh - fish cops.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 10:07:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Oklahoma; Rifle can't be loaded in vehicle, partly due to road hunting during deer season.  Just another reason to have an AR pistol, not AR SBR, loaded and ready to go in your vehicle.
View Quote
Edit to clarify...……."have an AR pistol, not AR SBR, loaded and ready to go...…….", NOT ready for road hunting or poaching, just ready to go for legit reasons!!
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 10:10:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Florida is legit as long as you have a CCW or it is "securely incased". A cardbox counts.
View Quote
Do I interpret that to mean that with my CCW the rifle does not have to be securely encased?
What about when I have a passenger who doesn't have a permit?

I'm thinking about getting a locking quick-access rack.  Right now my AR pistol is in a safe under the rear seat.  Pretty secure, but not immediately accessible.
I asked about the 'cop car' racks before, and the answers I got pretty much dismissed the idea as being illegal.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 1:13:46 PM EDT
[#10]
No loaded rifles or shotguns in vehicle, SBRs are ok though.

ETA: with a license to carry
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 5:55:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Florida. Long guns are good to go loaded without being in a case etc. I have a overhead gun rack that holds two loaded rifles, everyday. 100% legal. Handguns are a different story unless you have a ccp.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 12:01:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Long guns need not be cased... CASE LAW has determined that their size renders them "not readily assessable".

State v. Weyant (2008) unloaded gun is not readily assessable.

State v. Boswink long guns in cab of truck are not readily assessable.

Mitchell v. State (1986) rifle lying on back seat provided no PC to arrest.

Then you have this part of FSS 790.25(5) which reads in part:

Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use.

During hunting season you will see lots of long guns in plain view, loaded and unloaded.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 11:24:48 AM EDT
[#13]
And, of course it goes without saying but I will say it anyway ... sadly New York City is not like the rest of New York State. You cannot have a long gun in NYC without a permit/registration.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 5:58:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Unloaded, and the gun and any loaded magazines must be in separate compartments.  A mag holder with a flap satisfies this requirement.

SBRs and SBSs can be loaded if you have a LTCF.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 7:06:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Michigan. Unloaded and cased.

J-
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 8:00:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Rifles and shotguns must be unloaded here.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 8:14:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
AZ you can drive with a loaded rifle across your lap unless you hit the res.
View Quote
Same in NM.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 8:42:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Texas has no laws regarding the carrying of long guns (rifles or shotguns) in motor vehicles.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 10:21:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Illinois - Unloaded and in a case or shipping box.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 5:45:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Another for AZ. Unrestricted for all weapons.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 3:56:47 PM EDT
[#21]
In PA, long guns (rifles & shotguns) must be carried unloaded in vehicles.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 4:33:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Missouri rifles, shotguns, and handguns are all good to go fully loaded and uncased.

The NPS used to write all of us hillbillys tickets when we hit the Ozark National Scenic Riverways because at the time firearms couldn't be loaded and had to be encased when in the park in a vehicle.

Thanks for the CARD act and removing that prohibition President Obama!
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 4:39:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Louisiana. Carry whatever you want however you want in a vehicle.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 7:51:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Idaho-
Rifle can be carried with magazine in the weapon, no round chambered.
-As long as the person carrying is a non-felon.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 7:55:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
In PA, long guns (rifles & shotguns) must be carried unloaded in vehicles.
View Quote
And loaded magazines must be in a separate "compartment". Magazine pouch with flap or a pocket on a case counts.

SBRs and SBSs are exempt though and can be loaded in the car if you have a LTCF.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 1:48:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Long guns need not be cased... CASE LAW has determined that their size renders them "not readily assessable".

State v. Weyant (2008) unloaded gun is not readily assessable.

State v. Boswink long guns in cab of truck are not readily assessable.

Mitchell v. State (1986) rifle lying on back seat provided no PC to arrest.

Then you have this part of FSS 790.25(5) which reads in part:

Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use.

During hunting season you will see lots of long guns in plain view, loaded and unloaded.
View Quote
Also, to be clear, no CCW needed for loaded or unloaded long guns in the open in the vehicle.  

Not that everyone knows that.  One of the SO deputies was at my house and I showed her the loaded AR in the rifle rack in my truck. "Well as long as it conforms to the three step rule or whatever it is."

There are no steps lady
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 2:00:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Washington - rifle must be unloaded (in the hunting regs) no RCW covers this.
Definition of "loaded" is a bit ambiguous.

With a CPL - loaded handgun in car is OK - so loaded AR pistol is OK.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 8:59:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Rifles ok in cars in Oregon.  Don’t need to be cased.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 4:23:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Meh - fish cops.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh - fish cops.
"Loaded" by the newest definition in New Hampshire means the rifle can readily be fired by a pull of the trigger. So if you have the safety on, it's no longer considered loaded. It will probably get updated, because Fish and Game has complained about it, but that's how it is right now.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 4:34:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Unsure about Kentucky law, but my truck gun stays unloaded due to employer policy.
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 4:41:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 8:40:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Indiana.  No rules & no LTC needed.  You can carry it however & wherever you want in your vehicle or in public.  You can walk down the street with a Barrett .50 cal rifle slung over your back but you can't carry a .22lr pistol without a LTC.

The only exception is if you are shining.  No firearms, bows or crossbows allowed.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 10:43:45 AM EDT
[#33]
TN allows anyone legally allowed to own a firearm to carry a loaded firearm in their vehicle.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 9:38:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Nebraska prohibits loaded shotguns in a vehicle. Rifles are good to go
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 3:04:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 8:21:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Can you imagine if you got pulled over wearing a bandoleer of shotgun shells with a shotgun in the car?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can you imagine if you got pulled over wearing a bandoleer of shotgun shells with a shotgun in the car?
You haven't?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top