Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2018 6:24:22 PM EDT
This topic is probably going to be one of the more bizarre ones posted in here but I’ve  been with my department for a year and a half now and still can’t figure out a good way to get in and out of my belt in a hurry to go to the bathroom.

Usually I just wait until I can go home on lunch break and take the whole set up off or spend 30 minutes fighting my vest, keepers, suspenders, and belt to use the toilet.

Nobody else seems to have this problem here and I’d ask the other deputies but it’s a small department and the last thing I want is to happen is to be known as the guy who can’t go to the shitter on shift.

Any tips?
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 6:41:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
This topic is probably going to be one of the more bizarre ones posted in here but I've  been with my department for a year and a half now and still can't figure out a good way to get in and out of my belt in a hurry to go to the bathroom.

Usually I just wait until I can go home on lunch break and take the whole set up off or spend 30 minutes fighting my vest, keepers, suspenders, and belt to use the toilet.

Nobody else seems to have this problem here and I'd ask the other deputies but it's a small department and the last thing I want is to happen is to be known as the guy who can't go to the shitter on shift.

Any tips?
View Quote
Sounds like you have too much crap on your belt and if you are not careful you'll end up with crap in your pants. I always removed my belt. I had a nylon belt with a Velcro underbelt so I didn't need any keepers. I also moved my baton, flashlight, and admin junk to my vest. I could drop my belt in under 5 seconds and my external carrier didn't take any longer to get off if necessary.

If department regs refs dictate the equipment you wear you might be hosed.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 8:00:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I wear an outer carrier in the uniform shirt pattern with badge, nameplate, ETC.... My shirt has an embroidered badge and name.

I wear suspenders on my gunbelt so I put the gunbelt on and keeper and Velcro system it into place then place carrier over the suspenders.

Just take the outer carrier off then slide suspenders off and go normally.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 10:45:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I can be out of my belt in about 20 seconds. About 45 seconds to put it on and run the keepers through. Must be the over 2 decades I have doing it but I don't remember it being a huge task even when new.

J-
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 12:01:02 AM EDT
[#4]
I see Alabama in your location which means you probably still use concealable armor. I'm sorry for your discomfort.

We use external carriers. I take my carrier off, undo my belt keeper which is next to the pistol and the belt flops over like any regular belt. Many years ago I had to wear a vest under my shirt and it sucked and never was designed to take a dump while working. It takes me longer to clean up than it does to put all my crap back together.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 1:29:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Never wore a duty belt with suspenders, so I guess that must add a bit of difficulty tothe operation...

I always popped off my keepers, then took off my duty belt and hung it on the hook on the back of the door... never took more than 10 seconds to get off and maybe 30-45 seconds to get back on.

Left the concealed armor on...
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 5:12:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I see Alabama in your location which means you probably still use concealable armor. I'm sorry for your discomfort.

We use external carriers. I take my carrier off, undo my belt keeper which is next to the pistol and the belt flops over like any regular belt. Many years ago I had to wear a vest under my shirt and it sucked and never was designed to take a dump while working. It takes me longer to clean up than it does to put all my crap back together.
View Quote
We just got these armor carriers and new uniforms last March but they don't have any attachment points for any of the stuff that sits on my belt.

I can't mount anything to my carrier unfortunately. The only things I can put in it are my latex gloves, note pad, pens, and cuff key which all fit in the small breast pockets.

My belt has a 2 magazine pouch, holster, baton, 2 cuff cases, CAT 9, Taser,  radio, and Streamlight on it. I wear 4 keepers that are attached to the suspenders which run up under my external carrier.

Then I have a Leatherman, telephone, benchmade, wallet, and keys in my pants which does a bit to weigh it down more.

Sorry again for the bizarre post guys. It's looking like this is a problem that's unique to me.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 9:44:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Just follow one of your coworkers into the bathroom and see how they do it.

Link Posted: 8/7/2018 11:50:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Just eat MREs and not drink 1 gallon of water per each and you'll make it all shift without needing to poop.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 11:57:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 10:05:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Wait a while and you'll be pro with time.  If you're married, nothing like having the wife follow a trail of belt keepers laying on the floor starting inside the front door that lead to the bathroom to ask if you're ok.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 7:19:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Never wore a duty belt with suspenders, so I guess that must add a bit of difficulty tothe operation...

I always popped off my keepers, then took off my duty belt and hung it on the hook on the back of the door... never took more than 10 seconds to get off and maybe 30-45 seconds to get back on.

Left the concealed armor on...
View Quote
There it is! The ole hang it on the hook
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 4:54:16 PM EDT
[#12]
https://www.511tactical.com/womens-pdu-go-pant.html

Link Posted: 8/14/2018 11:35:29 PM EDT
[#13]
It's all about the underbelt. Get one with a buckle.

First unclip and secure radio Mike so you don't floss yourself when you stand up,Undo duty belt, undo underbelt buckle, drop trou in standard fashion, for a pro move tuck shirt tail under back of vest, complete movement and sanitation, fix shirt, pull up pants and fix underbelt, adjust tuck, buckle gun belt. It's still a pain in the ass but saves time.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 7:19:32 AM EDT
[#14]
We don't get a scheduled lunch break, so you can't plan on that. More or less, schedule your dumps before work. Don't eat too much on duty that'll end up with you needing to take a dump on shift. Know where the public restrooms in your zone are that are ok to use. Advise dispatch that you're busy for a few minutes so they aren't status checking you or trying to send you somewhere while you're on the throne. Make sure that in your haste to drop  your duty belt you didn't accidentally key up your portable so everyone can hear you taking your dump
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 6:51:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
https://www.511tactical.com/womens-pdu-go-pant.html

View Quote
If 511 made those in tan I'd be looking up female to male size chart conversions so I could order a pair for my fat ass.

Fortunately it isn't as big of a problem as it was last week thanks to another poster's recommendation of an under belt with buckle.

That and some slightly longer keepers that are easier to snap on and off have solved the embarrassing problem.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 11:25:12 PM EDT
[#16]
If ya got to shit you got to shit

Take gun out lay it on flat surface

Undo my keepers

Drop belt or hang it

Take duce
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 12:08:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Just ask your coworkers what works for them with your setup. Nothing to be embarrassed about. Everybody poops.

Actually it's on them for not telling you. Leaving rookies to figure out how to best shit on their own leads to missed calls, guns left in stalls, and bathroom pops.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 12:18:14 AM EDT
[#18]
I know there are times when the urge sneaks up on you.  But try to stay on top of it.  Stay ahead of the curve and do a risk mitigating sit down once in a while.

Also, never trust a fart.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top