Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2018 10:28:49 AM EDT
I am prior LE and I have a previous diagnosi of PTSD and depression that was duty related. I have wanted to go back into LE and didn't know if this was possible. Especially in Tennessee?

I am not medicated and have learned to live with my "new normal". I just didn't know if disclosing this to a PD or during the psych tests would eliminate me if I applied.

I will always carry the thoughts and memories of my experiences with my. I don't know how anyone cannot. But it did not and would not prevent me from doing my job. I was returned to duty and was never removed from duty due to fitness for duty issues.

I really want to get back into LE, but I don't want to get denied either.

Any input or advice?
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 7:37:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am prior LE and I have a previous diagnosi of PTSD and depression that was duty related. I have wanted to go back into LE and didn't know if this was possible. Especially in Tennessee?

I am not medicated and have learned to live with my "new normal". I just didn't know if disclosing this to a PD or during the psych tests would eliminate me if I applied.

I will always carry the thoughts and memories of my experiences with my. I don't know how anyone cannot. But it did not and would not prevent me from doing my job. I was returned to duty and was never removed from duty due to fitness for duty issues.

I really want to get back into LE, but I don't want to get denied either.

Any input or advice?
View Quote
Not sure. I'm guessing that it would be department to department dependent and how your pysch went. I know we have officers at my place that have PTSD both from military deployments and/or on the job stuff and they (we) never have an issue. Also being on meds is not an auto disqualification (again at my place at least, but I suspect most places would be the same). If you need them don't hesitate to get them.

It may be a HIPPA thing that they can not force you to reveal and not sure if the Dr could tell them but may fail you based on your tests/interviews.

Good luck and hope you can figure out what the deal is in Tn.

J-
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 8:43:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Not sure. I'm guessing that it would be department to department dependent and how your pysch went. I know we have officers at my place that have PTSD both from military deployments and/or on the job stuff and they (we) never have an issue. Also being on meds is not an auto disqualification (again at my place at least, but I suspect most places would be the same). If you need them don't hesitate to get them.

It may be a HIPPA thing that they can not force you to reveal and not sure if the Dr could tell them but may fail you based on your tests/interviews.

Good luck and hope you can figure out what the deal is in Tn.

J-
View Quote
I'm hoping it isn't as big of a deal as I think it is. I loved police work and nothing gives me the sense of satisfaction, accomplishment and purpose that police work did. I am just more concerned with being rejected than anything.

Like you said, I think it may be department dependant. I just worry that one rejection will affect opportunities at other agencies.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 9:00:30 PM EDT
[#3]
As already mentioned, I'm sure it would have to do with the individual department psych test.  I was just speaking to a couple guys from different departments at court last month and they had several officers who worked with them who were diagnosed PTSD due to prior military service, but they had been hired by their respective agencies.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 1:03:40 AM EDT
[#4]
This is TN.

There, for the most part, aren't individualized department psych testing. There is a POST physical and POST psychological. Both of them basically say, dear doctor, do you think the applicant above is capable of doing the job? Check yes or no

If you really worry about the testing, go pay for a test.

If it's a small department, and they are hurting, you're prolly going to be ok. If it is like Memphis/Nashville/Knox city, the interview is going to be the issue.

The real issue is, how do you know you're going to be solid? You get on with a college department, it may never come in to play. You get on at a place where shots might be fired, are you going to freeze up and leave your shift in the lurch? That's the only question. The rest are technicalities.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 10:37:44 AM EDT
[#5]
We have hired several people that were treated for PTSD. (former military)  It's never really been an problem as long as the documentation is there.

The real snag is, when the background shows you covered up or faked your  treatment history .  We've fired several officers for that.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 2:46:36 PM EDT
[#6]
If you don't have it before, you'll have it after
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 12:45:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Probably depends on the person who does the hiring. Unless it would effect your ability to do your job, I don’t see how they could exclude you unless you were super bad off. I’m not even sure they can ask you.

I have C-PTSD and I function just fine in society, I can get a little sad over some odd things and sometimes keep to myself, but that’s about it. Mainly I get upset when people hurt other people. I know lots of local LE who I am flat out amazed they not only were hired, but are still employed.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 1:44:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
QFT

J-
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 2:38:34 AM EDT
[#9]
as stated, it really varies from dept to dept...it also can come down to time from last incident (if any) or how long ago the situations that created your PTSD took place. Obviously, the more time that has passed without any issues coming from it, the better. I would disclose it and let the chips fall where they may.
I have PTSD, my time as a LEO only added it to what was already there.
Something to think about. How much more can you absorb and still "manage it" and is that worth it to you? to family? to just general happiness in life?
How many bad memories and triggers is enough?
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 9:54:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
I was going to say the same thing. Everyone seems to focus on vets and PTSD but I can guarantee more LEO's, fire fighters, and EMS workers have it than don't. It might take longer to develop...or it could happen during a bad call your first day out...who knows...but you'll likely end up with it to some degree if you don't have it when you start.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 12:14:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 4:45:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes. Several have it at our agency and many had it when we hired them and the agency knew it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 5:14:17 PM EDT
[#13]
This is going to come up on your background--so I'll be that guy:

Does your duty-related stress have something to do with why you left your old agency?  Your old agency may not even have to elaborate on it, but the one you're applying to may put 2 and 2 together.

It depends on the psych eval and what their doctor concludes as well.  Lots of ifs, but keep in mind the conversation about why you left will be looked into closely.  They'll look to see if you had performance issues at work, and was their administrative drama related to it, etc.  Again, all things they will look into.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 5:27:27 PM EDT
[#14]
You're gonna get more. Why?

Especially if you're prior LE. Unless you only did it for less than 5 years. Then you'd probably know better.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 10:16:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Yes, lots of active officers work with PTSD. I had it for some time after getting ambushed and shot on duty by carjacker/robbers. No reason to bar you from work if it is controlled and treated.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 11:25:51 PM EDT
[#16]
PTSD IMHO is more widespread than people know. It was harder on me the older I got and the years I served. At year 26 I had to disable out. It just depends on the person and if you begin to have performance issues. I think younger Officers may have it and not even know it. When you are young, you are more resilient and being in good physical shape may take a lot of the symptoms away. When you have GAD from PTSD, it is time to look at meds, then it may be time to get out. It is not so much the street that made me have the symptoms as much as the day to day chain of command and deadlines coupled with injuries and age.
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 12:10:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I would imagine if you shop around for the write Chief or Sheriff and shrinks willing to certify you as good to go...
then you would be.

Everyone should who works in a stressful environment needs good solid strategies for dealing with stress or it could
eat you up...it does a lot of people regardless of prior diagnosis or not...

No one wants to hire anyone who is already scored enough to easily break again...on the other hand sometimes
the experience, and other strengths brought to the job would be a bargain for some dept.

Good luck..shop around...and find a place that won't go out of it's way to break you.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 5:14:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
This
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top