Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/26/2018 12:37:03 PM EDT
Does you military/reserve time count towards your federal pension time with federal agencies?

As in 10 years service then moving on to the FBI... does that count towards your 20 year retirement....
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 12:45:34 PM EDT
[#1]
It can if you "buy it back."  Talk to HR about it and they will give you the forms...
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 1:06:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Only active duty time counts towards your .gov retirement.  So if you deployed as a Guardsmen/Reservist on Title 10 orders those would count but your drill weekends and AT don't count.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 2:39:40 PM EDT
[#3]
If you are going into a law enforcement job with the 6C enhanced pension, its back end time.  For LEO special retirement under FERS you must serve the minimum number of years (20 yrs at age 50, 25 yrs at any age) in a LEO covered position to get an enhanced pension calculation. Buying back your military time will give you a larger pension, but will not count toward time in the covered LEO position.  Again, if you don't do 20/25 in a covered position, you entire pension is based on the regular civilian formula.  So yes it can shorten how long you work on the LEO side, but you will lose the enhancements by leaving "early."  Otherwise the time bought back military time or other federal employment is added on with a reduces value (1%) to the 20/25 base years.

The formula looks like this:
Pension = [Years of LEO service up to but not exceeding 20 years × average high 3 year salary × 0.017] + [# of years of service exceeding 20 including all other LEO/military/regular fed service × average high 3 year salary of exceeding service ×0.01]

Also - if you don't do a full 20/25 of LEO covered service, you also lose the FERS supplement.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 4:20:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Active duty time is added on the back end, if you buy it back.

Still need to do 20 or 25 depending on your age.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 12:43:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Others have covered it.  It counts on the back end so you'll have to complete your 20 or 25 years of service in a 'covered' position.  It's not automatically counted and you'll have to buy it back.  It does count for calculating how much annual leave you accrue each pay period though.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 12:03:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you are going into a law enforcement job with the 6C enhanced pension, its back end time.  For LEO special retirement under FERS you must serve the minimum number of years (20 yrs at age 50, 25 yrs at any age) in a LEO covered position to get an enhanced pension calculation. Buying back your military time will give you a larger pension, but will not count toward time in the covered LEO position.  Again, if you don't do 20/25 in a covered position, you entire pension is based on the regular civilian formula.  So yes it can shorten how long you work on the LEO side, but you will lose the enhancements by leaving "early."  Otherwise the time bought back military time or other federal employment is added on with a reduces value (1%) to the 20/25 base years.

Pension = [Years of LEO service up to but not exceeding 20 years  average high 3 year salary  0.017] + [# of years of service exceeding 20 including all other LEO/military/regular fed service  average high 3 year salary of exceeding service 0.01]

Also - if you don't do a full 20/25 of LEO covered service, you also lose the FERS supplement.
View Quote
Good info...  one nit to pick:  It's not 6c if you're FERS.  That was for CSRS, of which I doubt there are many CSRS LEOs left.

It's now 12d.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 5:14:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Good info...  one nit to pick:  It's not 6c if you're FERS.  That was for CSRS, of which I doubt there are many CSRS LEOs left.

It's now 12d.
View Quote
For CBPOs its covered under public law 110-161.  and yes, have to buy back military time.  if you are retired already from the military then you have to forfeit your retirement check to buy back 20+ years.  Not worth it there.   I bought my 10 years of Active duty back and it counts on the back end for the coverage.  I however and in a position of being grandfathered in as our coverage did not begin until july 2008 which I know you know since we both work for same people.  the essence though is 12d coverage - the public law just added us to the mix under fers enhanced.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 1:23:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It's now 12d.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pension = [Years of LEO service up to but not exceeding 20 years  average high 3 year salary  0.017] + [# of years of service exceeding 20 including all other LEO/military/regular fed service  average high 3 year salary of exceeding service 0.01]

It's now 12d.
I'm under FERS and it still shows 6C on my LES
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top