Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/6/2018 12:59:13 PM EDT
I recently started working for a police department and will be on the road. We are solely issued the giant Mag Lights for our vehicles, so essentially every officer is forced to purchase their own light. So now I am in the search for a light.

Would most recommend a rechargeable battery or the standard battery type?

I know surefire is top notch with their quality, but do others trust Fenix and Streamlight for daily use doing police work?

I would appreciate the help in narrowing down a decision. My must haves are a pocket clip, over 250 lumens, and under $200.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 1:32:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Why pocket clip? Why not on your belt?

I carry a Gladius light on my belt and have a rechargeable Steamlight LED in the car. I use the Streamlight the most.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 1:59:44 PM EDT
[#2]
https://www.powertac.com/

I probably have 7 of the warriors, no problems with any of them.. great weapons light.

Funny story:    X girlfriend is an engineer for Amtrak. One day she borrowed one of my warriors for an overnight run . While turning the engine around at the “Y”at 3AM, she shined the light up at the cab blinding the operator. He said it made the trains headlight look like a toy and ordered one that morning.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 6:59:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Get the most powerfull maglite conversion you can from Malkoff and tell everyone you have no idea why theirs doesn't work as well.
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 4:14:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I’ve been using a fenix tk20r and I’m very pleased with it.
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 5:29:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm issued an LED Maglight.  I like it and use it mostly, but I also carry Surefires.  I usually keep one in my pocket so I always have a light.  I use a Surefire G2X or 6P.
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 5:33:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 10:06:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Streamlight stinger led for your belt and whatever flavor of small back up light for your pocket.
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 7:31:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I've carried a Streamlight Stinger XT on my belt for 20 years. Looks like shit but works like a charm. Couple of bulbs and batteries over the years and upgraded the head to an LED a few years ago.

Also carry a Streamlight ProTac HL USB in one of my cargo pockets. Is USB rechargeable/programable, has a strobe function, is bright and has a decent run time for the output. Has a pocket clip. No issues in about 5 years with this as my backup light.

Remember like a lot of things in life, 1 is none, 2 is one.

J-
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 9:37:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Surefire makes some good stuff. And I go with the 123 lithium type instead of a rechargeable. I've had too many rechargeable lights die when you need them and by keeping a supply of batteries you're up and going again. Also have a second light; kind of like the back up gun concept.

And get used to buying better gear than your dept issues.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 4:02:01 PM EDT
[#10]
My current light is a Fenix PD35 TAC with 123 batteries, and I love it.  I prefer not to use a rechargeable light, because I want to be able to just swap out batteries and go, instead of having to wait 6 hours for my battery to recharge..  I keep a couple spares in my external carrier just in case.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 3:09:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Not a cop here, but I do play weekend EMT

Myself and many of the guys at my unit use the Nitecore P12.  They're compact, bright as hell, take drops just fine, and they can use either 123's or 18650's.  I prefer 18650 since you can recharge them, and I carry a spare battery in my go bag.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 7:39:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Streamlight is my go to handheld light these days. I have 3 or 4 different ones I use for work and at home, and none have ever failed me in the past two years of use. I got tired of surefire and switched to streamlight, and had zero problems since. The "protac HLX" is what you seek for a super bright tactical light, while the "Polystinger LED" is what you want for the general flashlight, EMS scene, direct traffic, lost child search, stand around light.

After surefire's "less than upstanding" problems with sales and their ever increasing prices, I just cant see paying for the name when streamlight makes just as good a product, maybe even better for half the price. I have had surefire lights fail, and their customer support was less than quick and helpful. Coworkers have told me the same kinds of stories with their lights. There is nothing surefire makes that streamlight doesn't make a comparable model.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 5:12:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Streamlight stinger led for your belt and whatever flavor of small back up light for your pocket.
View Quote
This is my set up, and I have never had any issues.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 8:27:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Invova T4R or Fenix RC20. Both are much brighter than the Streamlight Stinger.
Inova warranties their lights for life. My old T4 wasn't charging properly after 10 years with the same battery. Sent it in and got a new switch and battery for free.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 11:38:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Surefire E2D LED Defender Ultra.

600 Lumens (2.25 hour run time)
5 lumens low output

Should be $160 with the LE discount.

I know there are many who say brand xxx is "just as good", but Surefire lights are tough as hell and work every damned time.  They are the benchmark for all other tactical flashlights.  It's all I use for duty work.

https://www.surefire.com/illumination/flashlights/e2d-led-defender-ultra.html
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 2:06:46 PM EDT
[#16]
How many flashlights do you want? 1 or 2?

I use a large rechargeable Stinger LED HL for general outside work and area searches and a small one for vehicle searches.

I find the large one kind of a bulky pain to use when going under seats and small area. I bought a small Streamlight stylus pro which can be charged through the MDC via a USB cable.

I work days now so I don’t use my large one very often at all but still can find a use for the small one.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 8:21:14 PM EDT
[#17]
For a belt light I still use a stinger.
If your agency allows it, wear a clipmate on your uniform to keep your hands free
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 3:50:41 PM EDT
[#18]
For heavy duty law enforcement flashlight get one of these and skip the cheaper, flimsier, Fenix. 1,500 lumens output and uses the rechargeable 18650 batteries which are the best type for highest power output for regular sized, hand held flashlights. Under $200 so it's in your price range. All of my EDC flashlights are Elektrolumens, which has unfortunately stopped making lights. Because they were way ahead of their time and were producing high lumen LED hand held lights since at least 2004. They are machined out of a solid billet of aluminum and use the 18650 rechargeable battery. Surefire has been way behind the ball on these lights and only this year did they finally catch up with these new Dual Fuel 18650 battery powered LED lights rated for 1,000 and more lumens, finally! If I was in the market for a reliable, tough, and powerful LED flashlight, I'd definitely get one of these new Surefire Dual Fuel ones. I have several Elektrolumen lights with the same rechargeable 18650 batteries that are over 10 years old and the batteries are still good.  The rechargeable 18650 battery are the same batteries that Tesla Motors uses in their electric powered cars. They use something like 4,000 18650 batteries to power each of their cars.

Link to Light
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 7:39:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Our PD has been using Streamlight products for years and they've proven bullet proof. When I was on patrol I carried a Strion rechargeable. They also make a High output version but the battery life is less. For day to day patrol work I'd recommend a rechargeable one. If you use it infrequently then a battery model.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 8:10:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Flashlight technology has changed so much over the years.  When I started I used to carry the Surefire 9P which was proprietary battery and battery charger, but you got more life and light than the original 6P style.  Several years later, I switched to the Streamlight Stinger, because you didn't have to take the battery out to charge it, and I'd had really good experience with the full-size Streamlights we carried in patrol cars.

Then everything started going LED, and the light and run-time of what I had didn't even begin to compare with all the new technology.  I was able to buy LED conversions for the Stinger and for the full size Streamlight, and that let me limp on for another 5 or 6 years.  Just last year I bought one of the USB rechargeable belt size lights that has the 3 intensities, strobe, and SOS functions.  It's nice to be able to charge it from the computer in the car and not have to worry about taking it home and plugging it in at the end of every shift.

I've heard good things about Surefire, Streamight, Fenix, and several other makers.  The most important thing you want to remember is run time, focused beam that you don't have to mess with all the time, and that it fits on your belt and has a holder made that is approved by your department.

For in the car we still use the Streamlight, just now it's the LED/Incandescent combination.
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 9:31:09 PM EDT
[#21]
I used to be a straight up flashlight snob.

(I still sort of am, my pistol light cost more than the pistol... but I digress).

I started out with the Streamlight SL15.

Currently, we are awash in a sea of gimmicks and mediocrity. I am currently carrying a wal mart bushnell 800 lumen light on my security guard gunbelt. It is a solid 'meh' at a very reasonable price.

Almost two years now, plenty of run time, high med lo strobe, USB rechargeable. Meh.

I want something belt-mountable, not longer than a tallboy beer can or wider in the grip than a fat cigar or wider in the head than a pop flare can, that recharges in-light via the same stupid plug as my phone, body camera and everything else, with a tint-eating, building-washing lightsaber mode, a medium (don't blind me trying to illuminate small white painted room mode) mode and a nav / paper writing mode, that doesn't pulse so bad I can't take night pictures with it, 1500 lumens on the high side, 10 hour shift worth of medium run time, thumb operable, I can hit people over a series of years with it without depopulating the LED or something else surface mounted in it, no evidence collecting bezel, enough roughness to make it not slip and roll under the car all the time, but not so rough it pills up where it touches my uniform, waterproof, and bring it home around $150.

if it has to be plastic, it's got to be a good plastic. Prefer metal.

Yeah, bring me that.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 6:16:01 AM EDT
[#22]
What is everyone using for a hands free light? I use a streamlight stylus pro at night for writing purposes. Just clip it onto my shoulder strap, or passant, and it seems to fall where I need it. I also have a rechargeable headlamp for a bit brighter hands free and perhaps walking. Just wondering what everyone else uses
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 1:25:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Buy once, blah blah blah. Don't buy cheap junk. It's cheap for a reason.

Definitely get a rechargeable light. If you do any actual "police" work you'll burn through batteries lickety split.

Streamlight is the cheapest I'd go. I carry both the Strion LED HL and Surefire Lawman on my belt. Both get charged daily after shift. I don't think they're making the Lawman R1 anymore, so you'll have to look at their equivalent. My Strion actually just died after about 4 years of life so I'm in the market for another one. I'm not sure if I'll stick with Streamlight or not.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 2:14:46 PM EDT
[#24]
I’ve tried a ton a lights and so far my favorite is Streamlight’s HL-X but that new Surefire Fury might be on my best soon.

Fuck this site. Now I bought the Fury.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 1:44:45 AM EDT
[#25]
I like my fenix. 1000 lumins, USB micro rechargeable, different modes, and it hasn't broken in almost two years of daily use on night shift being dropped and banged on stuff.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 10:12:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I like my fenix. 1000 lumins, USB micro rechargeable, different modes, and it hasn't broken in almost two years of daily use on night shift being dropped and banged on stuff.
View Quote
How often do you charge it?
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 1:18:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I usually plug it in when I get home. The only time I have ever spent a whole battery was when directing traffic for hours after it had been in use a bunch already. I also keep a charging cable in the car to plug it in on down time if I use it a whole lot. Much better in my opinion than hoping I have some spare 123 batteries in my gear. I'm sure there are better lights out there, but they will be hard to find for 100$.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 2:11:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
For heavy duty law enforcement flashlight get one of these and skip the cheaper, flimsier, Fenix. 1,500 lumens output and uses the rechargeable 18650 batteries which are the best type for highest power output for regular sized, hand held flashlights. Under $200 so it's in your price range. All of my EDC flashlights are Elektrolumens, which has unfortunately stopped making lights. Because they were way ahead of their time and were producing high lumen LED hand held lights since at least 2004. They are machined out of a solid billet of aluminum and use the 18650 rechargeable battery. Surefire has been way behind the ball on these lights and only this year did they finally catch up with these new Dual Fuel 18650 battery powered LED lights rated for 1,000 and more lumens, finally! If I was in the market for a reliable, tough, and powerful LED flashlight, I'd definitely get one of these new Surefire Dual Fuel ones. I have several Elektrolumen lights with the same rechargeable 18650 batteries that are over 10 years old and the batteries are still good.  The rechargeable 18650 battery are the same batteries that Tesla Motors uses in their electric powered cars. They use something like 4,000 18650 batteries to power each of their cars.

Link to Light
View Quote
I am pretty much a Surefire snob but I would suggest doing some additional research on this light.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 2:18:30 AM EDT
[#29]
We're issued the Fenix PD35-TAC, with a usb charger and an extra battery. I work nights and really like this light. I have an extra Surefire in my car and Surefire on both my pistol and rifle, but honestly I have seen no reason not to used the issued Fenix. It's a great light and I don't find myself swapping batteries often at all.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 9:35:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Years ago I carried a Streamlight SL20. It was a great flashlight, but heavy and bulky. I was one of the first to buy a stinger when they first came out. Great light in a smaller package. I always carried two spare batteries in my patrol bag.

So, now after I’m retired Fenix, Olight, Nitecore and Streamlight have super compact rechargeable lights that produce 1k lumens of light or more. Each weigh about 1/4 that of a stinger and at least three times brighter.

My biggest problem with Fenix, Olight and Nitecore is customer service. Each of mine have had its own problems. Each had to be sent to China for repairs and took 1-3 months time to get fixed and returned.

I haven’t bought one of the newer Streamlights yet, so I can’t comment on them.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 2:42:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Streamlight Stinger HD LED in the charger in the car

Streamlight Strion LED on the belt (well external carrier now)

Streamlight Stylus LED in shirt pocket (also on the external carrier now)
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 9:44:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I’ve tried a ton a lights and so far my favorite is Streamlight’s HL-X but that new Surefire Fury might be on my best soon.

Fuck this site. Now I bought the Fury.
View Quote
Ivebroken one HLX handheld previously. Got it fixed no problem. It has however been relegated to backup because the surefire fury dft is mo betta
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 5:50:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Nitecore TM28 Tiny Monster
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 7:42:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Streamlight ProTac HL (twin CR123) primary and basically a small light with a big bezel.

Streamlight ProTac 1L-1AA (single CR123) backup

Surefire rechargeable Sidekick in the pocket

Streamlight TLR-8 on Gaston Glock

I end up using the primary light and the pocket light and rarely use the backup, not counting frequent TLR-8 use.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 3:28:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Nitecore Tiny Monster TM03, 2800 lumens, $100. On the front of my belt just right of my buckle. I like the user interface and mode switching.
https://www.amazon.com/EdisonBright-Nitecore-Flashlight-Searchlight-rechargeabe/dp/B01HB5O91M

Skylumen Olight X7vn Marauder, heavily modded with all the bells and whistles and 25,000 lumens stuffed in my back pocket every time I get out of the car. It’s got a 3 yr warranty on it and if I kill it and survive, he’ll fix it at a reasonable price and have it back to me inside of a week which no other company aside from Streamlight will do.  It’s also funny when turds make fight or flight pre-indicator movements or gestures and you can instantaneously but temporarily blind them to the point where they need to be guided to the backseat of your car after being handcuffed. $445.00
https://skylumen.com/products/olight-x7vn-maurader-pop-can-king
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 6:24:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Streamlight Stinger HD LED in the charger in the car

Streamlight Strion LED on the belt (well external carrier now)

Streamlight Stylus LED in shirt pocket (also on the external carrier now)
View Quote
This is the correct answer.
Streamlight has the best customer service in the industry.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 6:58:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Get the most powerfull maglite conversion you can from Malkoff and tell everyone you have no idea why theirs doesn't work as well.
View Quote
THIS!! Malkoff conversions are AWESOME. They make conversions for for Surefire 6P's, Maglights, and many others. Check them out. Malkoff Conversions
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top