Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2018 12:02:46 AM EDT
So, what's the SOP for introductions here?

I guess I should just start by saying hello to everyone.

Hello everyone.

I'm an LEO who stumbled across this site researching doodads to bolt onto my new rifle.  Started lurking and figured I might as well create a profile and interact a bit.  So yeah, here I am.  Hope everyone is well (at least as well as we can be considering what we do).

Stay safe.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 12:31:16 AM EDT
[#1]
What was your old user name?
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 12:32:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Sorry for that, I thought I was in GD. Welcome to the party.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 12:46:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sorry for that, I thought I was in GD. Welcome to the party.
View Quote
Yep, never had a username before this one.  Thanks though.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 2:11:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Welcome to the site. Can you own an AR in your part of NY?  We are pretty much unencumbered in VA.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 6:18:55 AM EDT
[#5]
It's for a cop
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 8:17:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Welcome to the site. Can you own an AR in your part of NY?  We are pretty much unencumbered in VA.
View Quote
Quoted:
It's for a cop
View Quote
Yes, as a JBT I am exempt from the SAFE Act, so I am able to legally own a stock AR with the dreaded shoulder thing that goes up.  No, it isn't fair and I would change the situation if I had the means.  In the meantime, I procured the same model rifle I ride with every day at work for personal use.  You know, the one that the government trusts me with, but that has no place in the hands of a "mere" citizen, which I magically become when the costume comes off at the end of my shift.  Crazy, huh?

I've owned guns since I was a young teenager growing up in MT.  Moved to NY in '02 (thereabouts) and have never really adjusted to the culture shock, or the amount of gun violence here.  I don't understand why so many people keep shooting each other when NY law is so strict.  It's almost as if strict gun laws actually might make violent crime worse...

Anyway, there are two main reasons I recently (and finally) obtained an AR for personal use.  First, I don't trust that Albany won't slide new legislation through outright banning ALL new sales (LEO or not), and second, it's my right to do so.  It's everyone else's too, but that gets into that whole fairness thing I mentioned previously.  It helps that I'm a newly-certified Police Firearms Instructor as well as a Patrol Rifle Operator (yeah, I'm an "operator" baby), should I ever need to use my personal rifle for anything besides non-human targets, which I pray I never have to.

My wife has a couple friends who are just getting their pistol permits and who want to learn.  Going to take them shooting this summer, and really looking forward to bringing the evil black rifle with all the super-deadly-rail-mounted-accessories.  Nothing educates quite like trigger time.

Anyway, while my kid was napping yesterday I fixed my new taclight to the rifle, and am waiting on an optic and a 5.11 COVRT backpack so I can transport the thing without drawing too much attention.  The looks our unsheathed rifles garner in this place is amazing.  Back home in MT you get indifference or genuine interest, while here people shit themselves and call 911.  I *really* miss living in America.  Retirement isn't too far off...
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 1:51:34 AM EDT
[#7]
"It's for a cop"

is a line from a movie, and not necessarily a statement.

Welcome aboard! Look at the top of this forum, and there is a non-public room where you'll get better answers from the peer group. Ask for access.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 12:43:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
"It's for a cop"

is a line from a movie, and not necessarily a statement.

Welcome aboard! Look at the top of this forum, and there is a non-public room where you'll get better answers from the peer group. Ask for access.
View Quote
LOL.  Yep, got the reference now.  I've sent my credentials in.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 7:16:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top