Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2018 7:03:05 PM EDT
The LT at my Dept is working on body armor grants. From what he told me, we have a pretty good chance. However, the armor on the grant is a kevlar/Dyneema hybrid. I thought I read that Dyneema is piss poor for body armor due to loosing strength at some ridiculously low temperature. An I remembering right or is Dyneema good to go and I am remembering something else? And yes, I did some googling but all I am coming up with ins manyfacturer's websites that boast that they have armor options with kevlar/Dyneema blends. Thanks.

Bub75
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 9:22:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
The LT at my Dept is working on body armor grants. From what he told me, we have a pretty good chance. However, the armor on the grant is a kevlar/Dyneema hybrid. I thought I read that Dyneema is piss poor for body armor due to loosing strength at some ridiculously low temperature. An I remembering right or is Dyneema good to go and I am remembering something else? And yes, I did some googling but all I am coming up with ins manyfacturer's websites that boast that they have armor options with kevlar/Dyneema blends. Thanks.

Bub75
View Quote
As I recall Dyneema has issues at/above 170deg F (can't remember if there is a time frame involved). But if you have a vest on and hit 170 I'd say the vest is the least of your issues. Leaving it in a trunk/hot car may be an issue. IIRC this was is pure Dyneema fibers not sure how a Kevlar/Dyn hybrid would effect the over all issue.

J-
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 7:41:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, jjc155, but it doesn't matter now anyway. Lt is being the Lt. He asked my opinion, when I told him that the blend may not be the best and I was still researching, he told me that it didn't matter, he's going for it anyway. If it didn't matter, why ask my opinion? I'm convinced, as I have been for years, that when you get a gold badge, you also get your brains and all common sense and decency sucked right out of your head. Whatever. Again, thanks anyway.

Bub75
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 8:05:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't recall anything off hand particularly bad about Dyneema.  Maybe you're thinking of Zylon.  A lot of the commercially available soft armor (like from Velocity Systems at SKD Tactical) is Dyneema.

Regarding the boss going ahead in applying for the grant, the alternative is no grant and no body armor?  What's the problem?  Perhaps unbeknownst to you he sought out opinions/information from other people than just you and got enough input that he decided to make a timely decision before you finished your research.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top