Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2018 10:22:43 PM EDT
OK, I'll readily admit that I used to be an external carrier hater. Didn't see the use. After all, you just put your carrier outside your shirt and everyone could see it and knew you were wearing armor, encouraging head shots. Not for me, no way, no how.

The carrier for my armor was falling apart. Tails were ripping off, elastic was worn out and needed replaced and the carrier was worn through in a few places. When I told my Chief, he made me a deal. He would order me an external carrier and, if I didn't like it, he would order me a standard tuckable carrier. OK, go ahead, with one condition. I wanted a certain carrier that has a zipper pocket in the chest that I can put my backup gun in (Glock 42). He ordered it, it came in Monday, I put my armor in it Mon night and wore it on duty today, fully expecting to hate it.

OH MY GOD, I LOVE IT!!!!! SO much more comfortable than wearing it under my shirt! I can't believe it! I guess I have to admit, I was so wrong! Although the weather here today didn't require it, it will be VERY nice to be able to go back to the Station, take it off and cool off some during the summer, too.

Carrier in question is an Elbeco BodyShield. It probably helps that we use Elbeco shirts and the color match is VERY close to our shirts, which helps hide it from a casual look. It is also very heavily made, which should mean a long life.

Guys, this comes from a former hater. If your Dept will let you wear external carriers, DO IT! SO MUCH MORE COMFORTABLE that I can't believe it! They really are that good!

Bub75
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 10:27:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I tried to get one, and was told by upstairs that it wouldn't happen, the boss wasn't fond of it. Even though the part-time guys all wear them, because they aren't individually issued armor. Concealable armor gets stuffy in the summer around here, I can't imagine further south.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 11:21:21 PM EDT
[#2]
If you havent already, invest in a set of suspenders for your duty belt now to wear under your external carrier. Holy fuck it makes a world of difference. I wont work a shift without them now.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 11:25:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Doesn't everyone know all cops have soft armor on? Also you can tell they have a vest on most of the time (which is fine).

Glad you are more comfortable it sure seems like it would make a huge difference, especially on a hot day.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 8:56:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you havent already, invest in a set of suspenders for your duty belt now to wear under your external carrier. Holy fuck it makes a world of difference. I wont work a shift without them now.
View Quote
That's the next purchase, I think. We have a female Officer who has bad back problems and wears them under her external carrier and swears by them. I have some back problems and, if I have to be on my feet for a while when wearing my duty belt, it kills my back. Dept won't buy them, so I'm waiting till after our vacation in July. Any left over $$$ is going to a pair of suspenders. There should be enough left over to buy a good set, instead of a cheap set that is all I could afford right now.

Chief is also talking about letting Officers buy external carriers with a couple rows of MOLLE, as opposed to covered with MOLLE, maybe next year. Again, Dept won't buy one, but we may be able to if we want. If we are allowed, getting the Taser off my belt and onto the carrier will probably help some, too. The problem is, the Chief has to run it by City Council since they don't want us "militarized". Chief gets it but Council doesn't. I think it will work out, but we'll see what happens.

Bub75
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 9:40:34 AM EDT
[#5]
IM sent.

@bub75
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 10:26:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
IM sent.

@bub75
View Quote
And responded. Thanks.

Bub75
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 10:49:12 AM EDT
[#7]
We've had a love hate relationship (depending on the officer) with ext carriers since around 2000.

Currently of the 32 officers prob 10 wear the external carrier issued.  Everyone gets one in their armor package every 5 years - will be replaced if yours gets worn or damaged - but not all like 'em.

The external carrier that is automoatically issued with concealable carriers (2) as well.

We just approved the use of more "tactical" carriers as seen below.  Oooo.  Scary MOLLE webbing!  LOL.  But its in dark blue and looks great IMO with Class B, high black leather boots, bloused pants. Of course since its my project to acquire new armor and I like gear, the guys/gals are well served.  Hopfully the next person in my rank will continue to care about what works rather than what might be scary.

Link Posted: 4/30/2018 2:06:10 AM EDT
[#8]
you might consider this item, since you now see 'the light' on external carriers:

https://www.221btactical.com/collections/maxx-dri-vests/products/maxx-dri-vest-3_0-body-armor-ventilation

I've been wearing one for about a year now as an armed guard, with an external carrier a couple of months now. Hasn't got consistently hot and humid here yet, and it's very pricey, but with even a little breeze, it goes right up in between the vest and my shirt.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 4:41:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
you might consider this item, since you now see 'the light' on external carriers:

https://www.221btactical.com/collections/maxx-dri-vests/products/maxx-dri-vest-3_0-body-armor-ventilation

I've been wearing one for about a year now as an armed guard, with an external carrier a couple of months now. Hasn't got consistently hot and humid here yet, and it's very pricey, but with even a little breeze, it goes right up in between the vest and my shirt.
View Quote
Can this be worn in this layered order....underarmour shirt (or equivalent), the above mentioned 3.0, concealable armor, uniform top and still be effective in airflow? It's hot in MS!
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 9:21:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Can this be worn in this layered order....underarmour shirt (or equivalent), the above mentioned 3.0, concealable armor, uniform top and still be effective in airflow? It's hot in MS!
View Quote
Thats' how I was wearing it, but I didn't have tails. Do have full wrap / extended coverage though. I'd be standing outside, and the breeze would hit and yeah, without fluffing the neck, you could sorta feel it. I thought if I had a bicycle it would be the tits, but then I finally got a solution that put the vest outside and now no more issues with my shirt getting constantly pulled out
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 11:03:32 AM EDT
[#11]
I hate my outer carrier.  I sweat and stink more than I did with an internal carrier.  The reason is I wear and undershirt and then a uniform shirt under the carrier.  2 layers traps the heat.  I really just need to buy the newer uniform shirts that are designed for an external carrier. Like this
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 4:33:21 PM EDT
[#12]
We can wear them but they have to look like the shirt.  I would love to see a sheriff tan carrier with some molle.  Aren't too many of those out there.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 12:48:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Custom.

Several places will do it.

Only problem I've found is with my grey one, they stain. (Even after I scotchgarded the fuck out of it).

Had I known, I'd had two made.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 1:04:30 AM EDT
[#14]
I definitely prefer the outer carrier.  Ours have lots of small / relatively tight pockets on them that are great for things like pens, note pads, cell phone, pocket knife, etc.  Keeps stuff out of your pockets.  I hate stuff in my pockets when wearing a duty belt.

Since switching to outer carriers, I have seen far more patrols carry tourniquets and med supplies on their body as well.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 8:55:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Just don’t go to the outer and then start loading it up will types of crap and things you’ll never use. Or look like a Christmas tree with all the crap hanging on it. Keep it simple. I’ve been wearing one for 18 years. Custom by a lady up here who since moved away. The new person that does them charges way too much so I just keep fixing the one I have until I retire.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 1:50:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Took me a while to convert to an external carrier, other than the old style winter quilted carriers
I find the modern external carriers to be extremely user friendly in holding all of your daily "stuff" that you carry at work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top