Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2018 11:26:44 PM EDT
Cross posting from team for more insight from those in the know.

Short story long of it is I am in the hiring process for a large department.  The list is out and I'm in the top ten with the CPAT, medical, and psych eval left.

The red tape rolls out with a recent diagnosis of UC that resulted in 3 months missed work.  I was a complete idiot and waited until the flare up was very severe before going in and getting it checked out.  We worked through the more mild medications to see if we couldn't find a "cheap and easy fix" but they weren't strong enough.  I've been on prednisone for two weeks now and am currently being weaned off now that the flare up is all but gone.

I know UC falls under inflammatory bowel disease in the NFPA guidelines as a class B condition.  I never had any trouble with the conditions listed in 9.11.2 which makes me think I should be ok for the medical but I want all my homework taken care of before the appointment.

My doctor and I are both of the opinion that I'm a complete idiot for waiting so long to get in which is what caused this flare up to be so bad in the first place, but given how well I responded to the prednisone in the future if I have any issues and get back on the medication right away it should clear up very quickly, likely without any missed work even.

Should I talk to my GI doctor about getting a note from him to take to the exam?  Is there anything else I could/should do to help my case?

And on an unrelated note, what is the actual NFPA stance on vision?  I see they require 20/100 uncorrected or better(which would DQ me without surgery) but I am also reading that if you wear soft contact lenses that requirement is waived.  Is that correct?

The department I am going through the process for goes straight to the NFPA guidelines for their medical requirements.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 8:12:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I work for a large department in middle Tennessee and we just hired a guy who has UC and spent about a month in the hospital with a flare up. He went through the same NFPA physical our department puts everyone through.
As far as contacts, you can wear them for the physical.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top