Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/15/2018 6:58:22 PM EDT
Like the title says, a friend of mine just made detective at a large-ish police force in North AL.  I'd like to get him a gift; what do you LEO guys recommend?

For personal reasons, alcohol of any kind is not on the table.  Say $50-$100 or so.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 7:35:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 8:00:48 PM EDT
[#2]
How about a personalized leather portfolio folder?
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 8:17:07 PM EDT
[#3]
A good pen and personalized notebook cover.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 8:33:49 PM EDT
[#4]

Get him an industrial shredder and a Costco size pack of No-Doz. I've been a "Defective" for a while pushing a desk instead of a marked unit. I get fatter and the case load never disappears.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 8:37:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Small flashlight or a pocket knife or something cool. I got one of my detective friends this pen holder that looks like a revolver cylinder, he got a kick out of it, ha
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 10:53:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
FML, did I mispost this thread to GD???

Link Posted: 4/15/2018 10:55:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How about a personalized leather portfolio folder?
Great idea!  Can you guys make any recommendations?  Other than LAPG, I wouldn't know where to start.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 10:56:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
https://ct.fra.bz/ol/fz/sw/i60/2/9/7/frabz-POLICE-DETECTIVE-What-my-friends-think-I-do-What-my-family-think-d5dd36.jpg

Get him an industrial shredder and a Costco size pack of No-Doz. I've been a "Defective" for a while pushing a desk instead of a marked unit. I get fatter and the case load never disappears.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 10:58:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Small flashlight or a pocket knife or something cool. I got one of my detective friends this pen holder that looks like a revolver cylinder, he got a kick out of it, ha
View Quote
What's the shiznet of small flashlights for plainclothes LEOs?  Something-something Surefire?

As you can tell, I'm looking for some pretty specific recommendations; I suck at gift-selecting.

Thanks,
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 11:15:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

What's the shiznet of small flashlights for plainclothes LEOs?  Something-something Surefire?

As you can tell, I'm looking for some pretty specific recommendations; I suck at gift-selecting.

Thanks,
View Quote
Get him an Olight S1 Baton rechargeable. Small, USB rechargeable with a magnetic tail cap, several brightness levels up to 900 lumens, and a blinding strobe.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 12:02:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Really good pen, he will need it, also a recording device to take statements?
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 3:02:04 PM EDT
[#13]
https://olightworld.com/led-flashlights/rechargeable/olight-s10r-baton-iii
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 8:54:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Every detective should have a decent fedora.

He doesn't have to WEAR it on duty but he should at least have one.

Seriously. Tradition counts for something.

He's a DETECTIVE for God's sake! He needs a fuckin' HAT!

ETA: Kill 'em all. Let GD sort it out

Link Posted: 4/17/2018 10:40:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
https://ct.fra.bz/ol/fz/sw/i60/2/9/7/frabz-POLICE-DETECTIVE-What-my-friends-think-I-do-What-my-family-think-d5dd36.jpg

View Quote
We call our shredder "Watergate."
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 8:08:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Nice leather portfolio. Maybe one with a tablet pocket in it. I have one from colonel litteltons
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 8:52:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
This man knows what's up.

Get him a gym membership to go with that pen and portfolio.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 10:34:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Big magnifying glass!
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 10:06:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Get him an Olight S1 Baton rechargeable. Small, USB rechargeable with a magnetic tail cap, several brightness levels up to 900 lumens, and a blinding strobe.
View Quote
That looks like an excellent gift, thanks!

They're not planning a congrats party (), so I'm going to send it to his home C/O "Detective Dan".  His mom that was funny as heck!

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 3:38:36 AM EDT
[#20]
perfect for those long days in the office while they are "working"

Link Posted: 4/20/2018 3:44:08 AM EDT
[#21]
I'd get him a nice pen.

The Maxmadco is a great looking, USA made SS Pen that's classy, but also durable:

http://maxmadco.com/products/retractable-pen/
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 3:59:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 4:54:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Paper detective or proactive detective?
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 8:16:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
I don't know what that means.

He's in Property Crimes right now; suit, unmarked car, regular hours and shifts - 'bout all I know from a 5 minute conversation with his dad.  He's been trying to get it for a while, I know this was at least the 2nd time he took the test.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 9:04:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 12:28:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

He's in Property Crimes right now; suit, unmarked car, regular hours and shifts - 'bout all I know from a 5 minute conversation with his dad.  He's been trying to get it for a while, I know this was at least the 2nd time he took the test.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A paper detective is someone who does follow up on other people’s cases (sounds like he is this) and a proactive detective goes out and buys drugs, guns, hookers, or looks for other similar illegal activity.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 8:33:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

A paper detective is someone who does follow up on other people's cases (sounds like he is this) and a proactive detective goes out and buys drugs, guns, hookers, or looks for other similar illegal activity.
View Quote
Ok got it.  Don't know other than he's currently in Property Crimes.  Thanks,
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 8:37:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
No such thing as the second one. The ones you mention still work off others cases. Some poor guy in patrol arrested the doper.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 12:41:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
No such thing as the second one. The ones you mention still work off others cases. Some poor guy in patrol arrested the doper.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Perhaps in your department.  We have units that are 100% proac.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 10:28:25 PM EDT
[#30]
A bottle of fairy dust for the retarded (FWD to CID) cases sent by patrol.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 8:48:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
@NoImpactNoIdea, I no longer work for a agency that even responds to calls. We don't wear uniforms. We're a plainclothes investigative agency.

When I worked for a Municipal Agency. We had our GIU and VIN squads. The GIU guys worled their cases off patrol and VIN was "proactive". They still needed info from patrol.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 9:28:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Has your friend done his desk pop yet?
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 10:18:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
This, large departments usually have street crimes units or something similar that is a detective grade but still does street work
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 10:47:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Has your friend done his desk pop yet?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=948-2Vzgi3w
View Quote

I'll have to ask him the next time I see him!!   LOL!
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 10:56:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Large Gift Card to Dunkin Donuts !
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 11:05:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 1:10:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Gift certificate to a business card website.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 7:57:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Membership to a Gym. Every dick I know (myself included, 10years total) gained weight while in the DB. Long hours, shitty food, crappy coffee etc can take a toll lol.

Oh some Rogaine may help, most dicks go in with a full head o' hair and come out not so much, lol.

J-
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 9:15:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Membership to a Gym. Every dick I know (myself included, 10years total) gained weight while in the DB. Long hours, shitty food, crappy coffee etc can take a toll lol.

Oh some Rogaine may help, most dicks go in with a full head o' hair and come out not so much, lol.

J-
View Quote
+1 on the gym (and the long hours, crap food and stress).
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 10:24:33 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

J-
View Quote
Already pretty much bald since he shaves his head.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 7:25:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Already pretty much bald since he shaves his head.
View Quote
That's where I ended up too, lol. LE in general and Detective work specifically is rough on the hair line.

J-
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 9:49:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

That's where I ended up too, lol. LE in general and Detective work specifically is rough on the hair line.

J-
View Quote
Both he and his twin shave their heads and I've never seen them with hair, so I have no idea what they're natural state is.  Their dad has a full head of hair, FWIW.  And neither one of them is very old, early 30s maybe?  I could look it up, but persec for them.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 8:35:41 AM EDT
[#45]
View Quote
Get a matching set:

Attachment Attached File

A BIG bottle of Excedrin would work, too.

Honestly though, he's a guy.  If you get him a gift card, you make him happy.  I've been trying to convince my wife of this for two decades, but she just refuses to understand.

If you insist on something more personal, get him one of the above suggestions (small flashlight is always a good idea), or something engraved for his desk.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 2:29:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Gift certificate to a business card website.
View Quote
Why? My agency and the majority of others issue them.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 2:48:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 12:16:04 AM EDT
[#48]
Take your pick.

Or:

Or:

Link Posted: 5/1/2018 1:23:53 AM EDT
[#49]
You'll have to find out if he's supplied one or not, but a leather badge holder on a dog-tag type of chain necklace that also holds cards and a work ID.

A lot of agencies only provide a crappy belt clip for the badge. He'll want one that displays the badge right in the center of his chest. Blue on blue shootings go way down with the badge displayed correctly.

Something like this:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 4:50:14 PM EDT
[#50]
a fucking flashlight, nice little one that clips in his pocket so he actually fucking carries it...drives me crazy when I'm at a murder at 11 o'clock at night and one of the fucking retards on my team asked to borrow mine

ETA: I use the four sevens quark with deep pocket carry clip...it's perfect for a suit and regular EDC when off duty
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top