Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2018 8:50:21 PM EDT
Hey guys, what tracking device are you using for k9s/handlers?
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 9:27:05 PM EDT
[#1]
What do you mean?
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 10:26:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Que?

J-
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 8:00:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Trying to nail down a tracking device to put on our k9s.  Something that shows location live that could be watched on a phone or tablet.  Use will be to know where the units are while tracking, know direction they are headed for perimeter set up.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 8:13:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Trying to nail down a tracking device to put on our k9s.  Something that shows location live that could be watched on a phone or tablet.  Use will be to know where the units are while tracking, know direction they are headed for perimeter set up.
View Quote
I use the Garmin one with e-collar feature. Not cheap, but works well.

http://www.gundogsupply.com/garmin-alpha-tt15-combo.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=GARMIN-ALPHA-TT15-COMBO&gclid=Cj0KCQjwnqzWBRC_ARIsABSMVTM2Uh1ZSI6sc0XAkhCcCcMsXCVTWAfzMWyhaUPETUPncN9QV7sPIioaAsZFEALw_wcB
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 8:13:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
Sorry, just answered in your GD thread but I think I misunderstood what you were looking for. If you want a live feed the garmin type collars are what we have but my dog thinks it’s an e-collar (could be a benefit or drawback depending on the dog). I can Get you the model we use if you’d like.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 8:25:40 PM EDT
[#6]
We have used the Garmin type, but honestly they are pretty crappy when its your guys out there you are trying to provide feedback to.  Plus there is no way to use a pad or multiple pads to get a better and bigger picture.  Figured some one out there is using a much better system.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 8:46:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Our K9 guys don't use anything like that nor do any of the dog handlers in our county. We always have a second officer go with the handler and they call out directions, provide cover to the handler etc. Are you guys having your handlers go on tracks with out a secondary officer?

J-
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 8:58:46 PM EDT
[#8]
No they are not alone
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 9:20:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Our K9 guys don't use anything like that nor do any of the dog handlers in our county. We always have a second officer go with the handler and they call out directions, provide cover to the handler etc. Are you guys having your handlers go on tracks with out a secondary officer?

J-
View Quote
I always Have a backup with me... when I start. Not everyone trains to run distance much less through yards, over fences and through woods. If you lose your backup or end up in a wooded area and make contact it’s nice to have someone outside know where you are... and there is always the elephant in the room we all wanna pretend doesn’t exist... if I go Down and can’t transmit... It’s nice for someone to be able to say “they’ve been in these section of woods for a bit with no update and can’t be raised on the radio... someone get in there”. Also comes in very handy for reporting purposes
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 9:25:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I always Have a backup with me... when I start. Not everyone trains to run distance much less through yards, over fences and through woods. If you lose your backup or end up in a wooded area and make contact it’s nice to have someone outside know where you are... and there is always the elephant in the room we all wanna pretend doesn’t exist... if I go Down and can’t transmit... It’s nice for someone to be able to say “they’ve been in these section of woods for a bit with no update and can’t be raised on the radio... someone get in there”. Also comes in very handy for reporting purposes
View Quote
gotcha, according to our radio consortium/dispatch they can locate our preps if needed but obviously prep, tracker etc can be lost, stolen in that situation too.

J-
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 11:31:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Handlers should never track alone and if you lose your cover team regardless of the situation; then you need to slow down or stop and wait. It’s great to get the bad guy but if your dead it means nothing.
Not sure what the point of the GPS is for unless you’re just trying to see your track after the fact.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 10:14:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Handlers should never track alone and if you lose your cover team regardless of the situation; then you need to slow down or stop and wait. It’s great to get the bad guy but if your dead it means nothing.
Not sure what the point of the GPS is for unless you’re just trying to see your track after the fact.
View Quote
Agree completely, only I typically Don’t slow down to wait on my cover, I’ll radio for someone to take their place if they can’t keep up. The real time GPS can be very helpful if used how it should be. If a supervisor or senior officer that knows the area well can see your GPS location it’s a lot easier for them to set and adjust inner and outer perimeters to increase the success rate of your track. It’s hard sometimes to give accurate descriptions and distances while your running through the woods
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 7:09:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Agree completely, only I typically Don’t slow down to wait on my cover, I’ll radio for someone to take their place if they can’t keep up. The real time GPS can be very helpful if used how it should be. If a supervisor or senior officer that knows the area well can see your GPS location it’s a lot easier for them to set and adjust inner and outer perimeters to increase the success rate of your track. It’s hard sometimes to give accurate descriptions and distances while your running through the woods
View Quote
I can see your point, I guess everyone has thier own preference. I’m sure your not tracking in a dead sprint.  I’m lucky enough to have at least 3 people on any tracking team.  Are you in a more rural area? I track more in urban areas with some rural places up here in Alaska. However I know my town and areas so I can choose to adjust the permitted based on what I find on the ground.  I always enjoy hearing other handlers experiences with tracking in different terrain, cover teams, and pace.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 8:21:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I can see your point, I guess everyone has thier own preference. I’m sure your not tracking in a dead sprint.  I’m lucky enough to have at least 3 people on any tracking team.  Are you in a more rural area? I track more in urban areas with some rural places up here in Alaska. However I know my town and areas so I can choose to adjust the permitted based on what I find on the ground.  I always enjoy hearing other handlers experiences with tracking in different terrain, cover teams, and pace.
View Quote
My jurisdiction is largely urban. I’m in the South East. We have mutual aid with all surrounding jurisdictions however and I routinely find myself in the more rural areas outside my city. Combine that with the old school behind the times mentality of southern LE and it’s easy for me to get stuck in the woods with someone who has never done cardio a day in their life. I’m very fortunate however in that I’m also SWAT so typically if one of the other guys from the entry team hears me running to something hot they will come run with me

Edit: and I have a Malinois, EVERYTHING is a sprint!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top