Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2018 9:44:18 PM EDT
So in May they hope to send me to FTO at the nearest National park to me I was told that it will be 11 weeks and broken down in three stages first FTO. I was given a little information about who might be my FTO. Been in the parks for over 10 years but as LEO full time( Yes we have 6 month deal.) for three years!!!(The ! are them not me.)

So I have to go through FTO with someone who has less LEO experience then I do. Not trying to be stuck up but 5 years working a Res I have ALMOST(Know I'm missing stuff) seen it all! I think I need FTO BUT not going to some other park I need to know how my park does things! Anyway if any of you guys have gone through FTO and know more then the person who is training you give me some tips! I already have to give my higher ups tips when I'm with them and they make traffic stops! Really I HATE doing traffic stops like what they should give the ticket for when they want to be nice to someone who has a lot of tickets and licences revoked.

Told so far to just do as the FTO tells me even if they are wrong(That's is unless its on that list of you should not do!) Suck it up do your 11 and go back home! Yes my home base FTO is giving me a copy of the FTO guide to read over to make sure they don't flunk me on anything! Yet looking for advice on how I should handle or act? Not the same place I was a true house to house LEO in and also people speeding or some low crime is a big deal!

I guess I should be who my FTO wants(thinks) me to be and not the experienced officer that I'm?
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 10:03:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe you're overthinking it. If the other guy isn't a dick, you should be fine.   I wouldn't get all worked up over something that isnt necessarily going to be a problem.
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 11:52:20 PM EDT
[#2]
It was a pita to go through field training again at my second PD.  But if you were successful at your first department you should know how to play the game and whizz through just fine.
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 12:43:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't write reports like you write your posts.
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 1:07:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't write reports like you write your posts.
View Quote
No shit. But do talk on the radio that way, LMAO.

J-
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 1:45:03 AM EDT
[#5]
learn as much as you can about the area from them. He's probably thinking the same "why am I training this dude who has been doing this job since i was in middle school..."

I have had to from some a guy who was a retired sgt from another agency, I caught myself talking about shit and thought the above and just focused on the area stuff and dept specifics.

Just be cool and it will be cool.
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 2:10:29 AM EDT
[#6]
my brain fucking hurts from trying to read your post.

Also, 5 years you haven't come close to "seeing it all".  Just enjoy it, be respectful, pretend you don't know anything even if you do, and finish FTO.  Once you're done, do whatever you want to do.
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 4:16:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 7:33:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Going through your life with a chip on your shoulder will cause a lot more friction than necessary.

10yrs on the job (on any job, not just LEO) is just getting your feet wet.

How about you go to the class with a open mind? Maybe you'll pick up some good tricks of the trade?

Or... Go in all pissy and enjoy being miserable.
View Quote
I am sensing the same thing.  He come off with chip on your shoulder, intended or not.  He also make the ROOKIE mistake of assuming the FTO, who he don't know, is younger/knows less/less experienced, etc...

You have been in the parks ten years, but only three full time as a LEO and you think you have seen "almost" everything.  Time on the job does not mean experience.  There are guys and gals all over the world with badges and guns who took assignments that take them out of the loop of the field police work, and are a complete danger to themselves and others if put out on the street.  In NYC, where you can do 20 radio runs a shift in a busy house, you are a rookie your first five years, and then, its only enough to survive alone- because you still haven't even seen the first act of the show.  You may have seen "almost everything" in your park, but the world is much bigger than that,  Other parks have other issues.  The towns, villages, counties and cities around you have their own issues.  What happens at one eventually happen at yours.  And your way may just not be the right way to handle to it any more.  Many techniques used ten years ago don't work today- and young officer who is not a FTO can teach an old dog new tricks.

The fact you are even thinking about this tells me you are more green/a rookie than you think you are.  There are three types of folks at training:  (1) the hostage who will do the bare minimum the whole time and not get anything of value; (2) those who will keep their mouth shut/eyes open/listen and take any new "tool" they can find and add it to their repertoire; and (3) those who think they know more than their teacher or have a better way, slow the training process down, make everyone miserable and end up learning nothing and leaving as an a-hole to their peers.

Don't be a #3.

Your coming off as #3 here.   Might want to eat a slice of humble pie and think about why you are not being perceived as #2.
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 9:04:11 AM EDT
[#9]
I went through what the OP seems to be talking about. 11.5 years on the job at my first department. Patrol, patrol supervisor, narcotics detective, persons and property detective, firearms instructor.

Due to a bad change in leadership, I decided to leave to another department. My new department FTO had about 3 years of patrol experience. That was it. I kept my mouth shut except to ask him questions. I already knew how to be a cop. What I needed to know was the unique differences in my new department. Yes I knew more about the job but my FTO knew the workings of the new to me department. We got along well and he shared a lot of "secrets" if you will about the inner workings of the department. If I had been a know it all, I'm sure he wouldn't have bothered to clue me in on certain things.

I have no idea how many reports you will write at your new job but if you write reports like you post here, if you were going to work for my department, your lack of clear writing ability would fail you out of FT regardless of how much experience you had. Work on your writing and self editing ability. No one writes a perfect report but your writing is a disaster. Biggest issue I could see you having to overcome. Well,  that and your apparent know it all attitude.

We have had some excellent officers come to my department from other agencies. We have also had some know it alls and most of the know it alls ended up failing FT.
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 2:46:31 PM EDT
[#10]
You’re gonna struggle with that attitude.
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 5:23:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I see the OP has not changed a bit...
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 5:46:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep. He very much seems like”that guy” in many of his posts.

J-
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 5:55:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 8:40:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Lol. Nope. Still the same. I bet he won't come back to this thread but maybe I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 7:41:13 AM EDT
[#15]
I was lucky, when I got out of Baltimore, I went to my current agency. My fto's were cool and pretty much didnt mess with me, just showed me how things mostsly papwerwork were done.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 12:37:46 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm guessing you never have been an FTO have you?  Your FTO has more experience at where you are working now than you do.  I've seen guys with the attitude you appear to give off in your posts in my time in the military and LE, the "at my last base we did ...." and "at my last agency we did ...." type.  So you indicate that you have issues with an FTO that you haven't even met yet and have to try to correct your superiors?  What could possibly go wrong.
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 9:47:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 3:56:40 PM EDT
[#18]
You can always learn a lot if you just stop and listen.  Right now you appear to be that officer that no one wants to be around.  They think they know everything and should be in charge.  Obviously your not as good as you think since you decided to leave your last gig (if you knew as much as you say, then you should have been the chief by now).  Maybe just sit back, look, listen, and enjoy the time.  It is a new beginning so don't be the same person you were before.  This is your chance to excel under new leadership!
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 4:36:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Jr. I had to FTO as a Asst. Chief/Paramedic at my new department, I have 17 yrs as a paramedic working at a metro department.  My FTO Medic had 4 yrs on the job with 3 as a Medic.....I learned a lot.  Just shut your mouth and learn how they operate...it will be different.
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 9:36:59 AM EDT
[#20]
OP delivers the drama, again.
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 9:48:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Shut your mouth.  Make no assumptions.  Be a Sponge for good or bad.  I've had to go through with people I have had more experience and I learned.  I even had one FTO who was 13 years younger than me.  I brought him a lunchable and a juice box (friends told me to) and it was hilarious.  He is a squared away traffic unit and I learned from him.
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 9:14:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
So in May they hope to send me to FTO at the nearest National park to me I was told that it will be 11 weeks and broken down in three stages first FTO. I was given a little information about who might be my FTO. Been in the parks for over 10 years but as LEO full time( Yes we have 6 month deal.) for three years!!!(The ! are them not me.)

So I have to go through FTO with someone who has less LEO experience then I do. Not trying to be stuck up but 5 years working a Res I have ALMOST(Know I'm missing stuff) seen it all! I think I need FTO BUT not going to some other park I need to know how my park does things! Anyway if any of you guys have gone through FTO and know more then the person who is training you give me some tips! I already have to give my higher ups tips when I'm with them and they make traffic stops! Really I HATE doing traffic stops like what they should give the ticket for when they want to be nice to someone who has a lot of tickets and licences revoked.

Told so far to just do as the FTO tells me even if they are wrong(That's is unless its on that list of you should not do!) Suck it up do your 11 and go back home! Yes my home base FTO is giving me a copy of the FTO guide to read over to make sure they don't flunk me on anything! Yet looking for advice on how I should handle or act? Not the same place I was a true house to house LEO in and also people speeding or some low crime is a big deal!

I guess I should be who my FTO wants(thinks) me to be and not the experienced officer that I'm?
View Quote

How many police departments have you been on since you "left" Dallas police academy?
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 10:52:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

How many police departments have you been on since you "left" Dallas police academy?
View Quote

Lol

J-
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top