Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2017 10:11:34 AM EDT
Any advice on recruiting for an SO volunteer unit?  We need guys/gals that are self motivated, dedicated, and willing to serve.

How are your reserve unit numbers? Do you have a steady flow of qualified candidates?  

Any info or discussion is appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:03:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I am a Reserve Officer,

Have a couple of questions:

Are you talking about hiring POST qualified Reserve Officers or simply a ready pool of persons you can make short-term deputies?

Our Department has zero flow of qualified candidates for the following reasons:

1.  My Department and most local Departments I know do not compensate their Reserves while performing law enforcement duties (i.e. Patrol).

2.  I do not know of any Police Academy within 200 miles that has a modular program for Reserve Officers (Level 1,2,3,4 etc).

3.  Who would pay out of their pocket for attend a full-time Police Academy just to apply for a non-compensated position?

I would be happy to answer any questions about Reserve Programs.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:23:12 PM EDT
[#2]
We are about 50 deep on reserves. Most do it for the take home car so they can work off duty employment...IE security. Some do it only for the LE aspect of it. SOme are retired and just dont want to give it up 100%. Ours have to work 32 hours a month.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 4:13:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am a Reserve Officer,

Have a couple of questions:

Are you talking about hiring POST qualified Reserve Officers or simply a ready pool of persons you can make short-term deputies? Our numbers are low and we are looking to add on, certified or not. Many go from our reserve unit to full time positions if desired.

Our Department has zero flow of qualified candidates for the following reasons:

1.  My Department and most local Departments I know do not compensate their Reserves while performing law enforcement duties (i.e. Patrol). We do not either. Volunteer position. Deputy provides all equipment.

2.  I do not know of any Police Academy within 200 miles that has a modular program for Reserve Officers (Level 1,2,3,4 etc). Department pays for the academy, close drive and the classes are held at night.

3.  Who would pay out of their pocket for attend a full-time Police Academy just to apply for a non-compensated position?

I would be happy to answer any questions about Reserve Programs.
View Quote
I'm interested in how your numbers are and do you have people applying? If people are applying, what do you attribute that too?
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 4:21:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
We are about 50 deep on reserves. Most do it for the take home car so they can work off duty employment...IE security. Some do it only for the LE aspect of it. SOme are retired and just dont want to give it up 100%. Ours have to work 32 hours a month.
View Quote
We currently have 18, have had as many as 30. Department only requires 16 hours/month. Those that remain do it for the LE aspect or are just not ready to give it up. We lose one or two every month or so going full time. Lots of turnover on the paid side.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 8:31:03 PM EDT
[#5]
The SO here is always looking for AUX/Reserve

Proof here

http://www.pbso.org/inside-pbso/administration/human-resources/#jobs

They have both AUX and RESERVE positions, says both are VOL..wth is the difference ?

The PBSO pays well and as you can see, they run ads everyday for Corrections and Communication. The jail starts at like $48K and commo is $43K..plus great benefits. That is not bad $$ for someone with just a GED. With a little OT, you are easily at $50k The jail will pay your way thru the Corrections Academy, not so with the Commo Academy, they are both the same amt of time IIRC. I graduated the Commo academy along time ago.

Alot of married couples work there, so a couple with just a shitty GED can be pulling down $100K a year. I know alot of professional married couples not pulling that , with big ass school loans on top.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 10:07:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Our SO reserve program does not require POST certification. Reserves are sworn in and legally have same powers as full time deputy, but by department policy requires to always be under the supervision of certified full-time deputy and does not allow a reserve to make an arrest while not working under that full time deputy. What "supervision" means can vary big time big time.

Your duties will depend on trust earned with the full-time staff. Some reserves drive vehicles and 10-55 with full-time deputies on calls, some are on SWAT or other special groups. There are also other reserves that are not capable for a variety of reasons that simply look good in public at car shows and stuff. Most of the reserves do a combination of filling in at public gatherings and riding with a full-time deputy dual. It's up to that deputy what they want the reserve to do when it comes to handling calls, suspects, evidence, whatever.

I have had a bunch of guys that get really interested in joining when they see that reserves actually get opportunities to do some really cool things. Also, most applicants just want to serve the community.

We get a steady flow of applicants and because of the wide range of possible duties, that's pretty helpful to pick guys for what is needed. The reserve classes are usually filled with a wide variety of people from former military, to old and retired. There's a job for everyone.

That's probably more info than you wanted. PM me if you want the SOP. I shouldn't have an issue getting a copy to send to you (at least the reserve portion).
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 11:59:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 3:30:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The SO here is always looking for AUX/Reserve

Proof here

http://www.pbso.org/inside-pbso/administration/human-resources/#jobs

They have both AUX and RESERVE positions, says both are VOL..wth is the difference ?

The PBSO pays well and as you can see, they run ads everyday for Corrections and Communication. The jail starts at like $48K and commo is $43K..plus great benefits. That is not bad $ for someone with just a GED. With a little OT, you are easily at $50k The jail will pay your way thru the Corrections Academy, not so with the Commo Academy, they are both the same amt of time IIRC. I graduated the Commo academy along time ago.

Alot of married couples work there, so a couple with just a shitty GED can be pulling down $100K a year. I know alot of professional married couples not pulling that , with big ass school loans on top.
View Quote
Not sure the difference there, I could see a place like Palm Beach County having plenty of applicants though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top