Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2017 1:20:00 AM EDT
Im thinking about taking a job at the max prison here near Boise.

Curious to know if anybody here works at a prison or has.

Link Posted: 8/5/2017 11:50:48 AM EDT
[#1]
For a start I would go on the internet and get yourself a copy of the department's administrative regulations, the ones that are public.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 8:33:56 PM EDT
[#2]
State run or private?  The job isn't for everyone, your maturity is a big factor in your ability to handle it. I describe it as soul-sucking. If you do it as a job vs. it becoming your life you'll do better. It is a good job in PA, but the new hires have had a lot of their benefits cut, creating two tiers of employees.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 10:00:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I work in a close custody state facility. the job is what you make of it. things can go from real quiet to SHTF in .0001 seconds. you are surrounded by societies rejects that have nothing else to lose. it was said before its not for everyone i have had more then i can count quit before their 1st week was up.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 6:29:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Spent 5 years in a County jail followed by almost 4 in a Federal joint...  

What do you wanna know?
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 1:39:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I hit 10 years with DOC in December. What would you like to know?
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 2:30:05 PM EDT
[#6]
BOP here
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 2:37:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
BOP here
View Quote
Here too.

Ive heard that Idaho prisons are brutal. Very violent. I cannot verify that though.

Prison isn't for everyone and burn out is for real.  The worst part is many time burnt out/disgruntled staff end up turning into inmates themselves.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 12:05:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I will hit 30 years in October.  Started as a CO, came up through the custody ranks.  Did some management time and a few years ago (10+) went back to the field as a P&P officer.  Best decision I ever made.

Ask away...
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 6:26:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Currently work in a county jail (as a deputy). Pay is steady, hours are readily available (at least here). Would i want to spend a career here? No. Definitely not for everyone. I see a lot of Deputies come and go.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 8:59:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Nine years and counting with state DOC here.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 9:26:03 AM EDT
[#11]
State administrative max prison here.  The job is what you make it.  The rest of these guys are right goes from quiet to crap in a fan real quick.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 9:48:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Worked in prisons for the past 22 yrs.  Texas State first, and now BOP.  Less than 2 yrs from retirement now.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 4:55:54 AM EDT
[#13]
I work for DOC, started off at a medium and transferred to a minimum. if your in Idaho I would suggested applying for OR DOC and try to get hired on at snake river in Ontario.  I know the pay and benefits in OR are a lot better
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 5:54:21 AM EDT
[#14]
The prison, in my town, starts COs out at $11.35/hour. 
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 5:58:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
we start at 20/hr
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 6:05:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Yep, 32 year retiree from the DOC.  Have a thick skin, if you unlock it - lock it and most important learn to use the word NO!
Actually, was very good for me. Not for everyone.   Can be political especially for management.   Go for it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 7:31:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
we start at 20/hr
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
we start at 20/hr
PA starts around 18/hr and we have trouble getting people.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 9:13:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

we start at 20/hr
View Quote
That's more than LT pay at my former PD.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 6:44:30 AM EDT
[#19]
My base salary is $54,5XX...

After all the added fun, I made a little over 60 last year...

New job I start in September pays more... I'm excited...
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 7:05:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Worked in prisons for the past 22 yrs.  Texas State first, and now BOP.  Less than 2 yrs from retirement now.
View Quote
Most of my friends in the BOP have or are within a couple years of retirement. Those who have gone said do it first day you can. Those who havent yet just want the hell out.

I still have 18 years left to hit minimum age. I hope I make it!
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 6:22:35 PM EDT
[#21]
25 years working for the NJ Dept. Of Corrections, I retired 4 years ago at $80,300 as an Officer and starting pay is around $46,000.
Officers have to do 30 years now though.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 8:35:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
25 years working for the NJ Dept. Of Corrections, I retired 4 years ago at $80,300 as an Officer and starting pay is around $46,000.
Officers have to do 30 years now though.
View Quote
Not to be too nebby, but is the 80k your retirement or your last year's pay? New hires in PA have to do 20 years, and can't retire before 55.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 8:43:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Worst job I ever had
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 2:22:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Worst job I ever had
View Quote
I wouldn't say it's been the worst... Not the best though... The worst part is, my problem was never the inmates...
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 5:17:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Not to be too nebby, but is the 80k your retirement or your last year's pay? New hires in PA have to do 20 years, and can't retire before 55.
View Quote
Last years pay. 65% of that at retirement.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 5:43:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The worst part is, my problem was never the inmates...
View Quote
Lol... Some things are universal.

The minagary of weirdos and mental case I've worked with is surreal..

$71k base, but adding in all the holiday pay and premiums most of us gross almost $100k
There are overtime hounds that earn $120-$130k.

Shift work kills you slowly. Eat smart and stay fit.
Leave the job at work.
Firm, but fair.
Shake and bake
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 5:45:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Not one myself but know/talked with a bunch of County/State guys/gals.

It is definitely what you make of it, if you don't find some enjoyment it will burn you the hell out.
Some love it, some hate it and are just doing it in the interim til they figure something out.

Keep in mind, you're basically doing time with them. You just get paid for it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 7:43:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/16/2017 8:05:19 PM EDT
[#29]
RN supervisor in 2 prisons.  Ask away.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 12:11:27 AM EDT
[#30]
I took a position with the DOC for a short period of time, but was offered a position with a county detention center shortly after graduating the DOC academy.  Spent two years in county corrections before going to the police academy and transferring to patrol division.  Given my state DOC employment was very brief, here are my observations.

County Corrections > State Corrections (this will vary greatly by agency and state)

For my area the county has...

- Higher pay
- No mandatory OT (unless staffing emergency)
- More relaxed rules (see below)
- Lower turnover
- Less dirty CO's

Working at a state facility was horribly boring, and employees moral in general was very low.  Hiring standards were pathetically low, so you will work with some real winners... When you hire in you're the low man on the totem pole, and 16 hour overtime "drafts" are common.  All the positions work on a bid system by seniority, so you get the worst positions first.  For the facility I worked at you had airport style security coming in with mandatory clear lunch containers, take boots off, metal detector, x-ray machine, cell phone detector, no glass or metal utensils, etc.  This is because you essentially are with the inmates all day, and never go outside "the wall".  

Working county corrections was not bad at all, and moral was pretty high.  Hiring standards were very strict unless you are female (due to very high demand for female CO's).  At the facility I worked at you entered the building through the sallyport into a secure booking area.  No metal detectors, no restrictions on metal utensils, cell phones were OK as long as they stay in the break room... Much more relaxed atmosphere in general.  Positions are pretty much "fill the gaps" so we rotated out between booking, the floor, and control tower.  We even had internet access on our booking computers, so when it got slow it was perfectly acceptable to browse the internet in between duties (nightshift).  

Again, these are just from my experience and this will vary greatly between agencies and states.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 2:14:06 AM EDT
[#31]
I teach in a prison..

its a juvenile prison...
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 2:33:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
About 12 in Ky.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 3:29:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
About 12 in Ky.
View Quote
14.23 here in TN

Local jail starts you out at $15.50/hr
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 2:15:54 AM EDT
[#34]
The job is dangerous, stressful, and underappreciated. If you do decide to take it make sure its with the state system; any other system (county, private, fed) is not worth it. Also, make sure you find out what the pay, benefits, and retirement package will be like.

Oh yeah, If the position you're interested in isn't a peace officer position, do not take it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:53:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Most of my friends in the BOP have or are within a couple years of retirement. Those who have gone said do it first day you can. Those who havent yet just want the hell out.

I still have 18 years left to hit minimum age. I hope I make it!
View Quote
December 11th, 2031 is my out-date, not counting or anything...
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:54:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The job is dangerous, stressful, and underappreciated. If you do decide to take it make sure its with the state system; any other system (county, private, fed) is not worth it. Also, make sure you find out what the pay, benefits, and retirement package will be like.

Oh yeah, If the position you're interested in isn't a peace officer position, do not take it.
View Quote
Funny you should say that...   The state guys here all dream of being a Fed because the pay and benefits are substantially better....
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:03:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Worked almost 4 years for the Florida system. Pretty much all of it was working in close management (basically the worst of the worst in the FL system) The hardest part was dealing with state politics dictating how to run a dorm. I got burned out with the state and briefly tried private prisons before I quit corrections entirely. Looking back on it, I dunno how I did it.

The pay system with FL DOC is stupid. Start at $33,500 and retire in 34 years (3 percent pension each year). All throughout this, you don't get a longevity pay increase. The recruitment officer who hired me was making the same pay as me when I started despite her having ~20 years in. You basically have to promote to get more pay. Which no one wants to because they have to recycle back to night shift.

OP, honestly its what you make of it. The morale is low but if you stay focused, it can be a decent job.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:15:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Worked 5 years in SD Prison system before going to a sworn position.  

It was a good job where there's lots of advancement opportunities.  Grass was greener for me on this side, many more benefits but I did take a "pay cut"
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 12:32:27 AM EDT
[#39]
I've worked in two county jails and a city jail (seriously).

Wasn't my cup of tea, but I did it just fine.

Worked in linear and podular setups. I liked direct contact the best.

Forced shower time was the worst. Meds were challenging. Learning how to control a cell or pod was exceptionally instructive. Some of it works on the outside, too. A friend of mine solved some sibling issues by putting their tv on the weather channel (some of you will get it)

I always have said the best road officers came out of the jail with almost no exceptions. Learning how to work with no use of force tools and a shitty radio (if you got one at all), you either learn some skills, or they promote you to the catwalk or something... LOL
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 10:28:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I work for DOC, started off at a medium and transferred to a minimum. if your in Idaho I would suggested applying for OR DOC and try to get hired on at snake river in Ontario.  I know the pay and benefits in OR are a lot better
View Quote
You will be MUCH better off taking this advice if you're in Boise!!
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 7:50:10 AM EDT
[#41]
12 years I've been inside. Trust no one, there are no secrets in jail.

Anything else that you want to know can be seen right here. Good luck. It's not the inmates that you have to worry about 90% of the time.

https://youtu.be/Pfm_upp_c40
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top