Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/26/2003 10:20:44 PM EDT
Greetings,

I am a citizen who received a 15 miles over speeding ticket in May.  I do not believe I was speeding.

Is it possible that the "Genesis GHS" SMD could give a false reading if there are objects like metal signs, metal fences, trees, etc in the foreground and background?

Do any of you LEOs have experience with this Genesis GHS and is it a reliable device?

Any insights or experiences would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 10:37:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't know.  I don't use Radar, I prefer the Laser Speed Detection Units.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 5:27:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Like all Decatur units, The GHS is very reliable and very accurate.

The newer units (like this) use DSP circuitry which eliminates most errors, and also shuts down the unit (will not display speed or doppler audio) if it detects an error.

Plus, it is stationary only:
It doesn't have to worry about calculating patrol and target speed, only target speed.

If the cop did an internal circut test and tested the calibration with the fork before he used the unit, and he is RADAR cert, and the RADAR unit and fork have been bench tested at least once within the past, I can't think of any way to fight this ticket.

You could subpoena the cops' RADAR training cert, and the cert of the RADAR unit and the fork he used.

I can not speak for Decatur, but KUSTOM and MPH units and the forks have to be bench tested at least once a year.

It's the only thing I can think of.

Jay
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 5:54:04 AM EDT
[#3]
The radar used is a doppler radar.  The way it works is by reading things that are moving.  Stop signs etc. don't move.  that line of thought isn't going to help you much.  

Just out of curiosity,  how fast do you think you were going?
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 7:04:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Just out of curiosity,  how fast do you think you were going?
View Quote

My question exactly???  

I do not believe I was speeding...haha!!!

Just playing with you shadows we hear that quite a bit so you can understand why.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 7:20:44 AM EDT
[#5]
It is easier just to take the ticket, I think that model is one of the most accurate models out there. When my uncle was on patrol he used thatAnd my dad has let me use one doing a ride along!

Justin
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 8:40:02 PM EDT
[#6]
One word.....Pre-Pay
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 2:39:05 PM EDT
[#7]
On a curve you can get a cosine error that increases vehicle speed.  This should be no secret, as a stop should never be made on such a reading.  Some units confuse the patrol speed and approaching vehicle speed when the two are very close.  Patrol speed will display  in the approach speed vehicle.  Another reason to be doing the speed limit while running radar.  

The new $4500 laser is sweet.  Incredible range.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top