Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2003 5:23:17 AM EDT
My son leaves for the Police Training Institute in Champaign,IL on 6/29 for 12 weeks. Anyone here attended it? Words of wisdom? Tips?  TIA   JS
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:31:44 AM EDT
[#1]
They are all about the same.
Eyes and ears open, mouth shut.
Remember, you are there to learn, not voice opinion.
Yes SIR, no SIR.
Study hard, P.T. hard, stay away from the bars.
Even if you don't agree, do as your told.
Ten years from now, HE can put the wannabes through their paces.
And Good Luck to him.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 2:33:18 PM EDT
[#2]
pay attention and learn what they teach. the firearms program is leaps and bounds better than what is taught at i.s.p.a. , everything is hands on and senerio based from week one now.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 4:07:12 PM EDT
[#3]
The very first lesson I learned in the police Academy is to walk on the sidewalks, and avoid the "shortcuts", i.e. gravel areas.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 11:30:35 AM EDT
[#4]
My department no longer uses PTI, but I attended PTI in 1997.  The handgun training is top notch along with the officer safety training.  I believe we no longer use PTI because of cost considerations.  Alot of things have changed at PTI since 1997, but I have recommended to my department that we return to PTI several times.  

I would tell your son to keep his ears open and mouth shut.  I did scout out some of the bars in the area and discovered that they are quite friendly.  Just remeber to keep the drinking in check and not to violate any of the PTI rules.  When I was there a few guys had to write memos back to their chiefs explaining their behavior.

Good luck to him.      

Link Posted: 6/30/2003 2:56:09 AM EDT
[#5]
pti is about 80% scenario based now.  i went about 2 years ago.  very good instruction.  firearms training is excellent.  they have a web site, too.  i don't know it, but look at University of IL and navigate from there.

All the training in the world doesn't matter unless the pupil is willing to learn.  Tell him to concentrate, apply what he has learned, ask questions, and don't be afraid to fail at PTI.  PTI uses paintballs for "experiencial (SP?) learning".  Better to get shot at PTI than on the street.  Stay out of the bars and remember "To be on time is late, to be early is to be on time."
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 10:16:45 AM EDT
[#6]
I was there just over a year ago just tell him to do what he's told and be ready to change alot of it when he gets back to his department.  The scenarios are good training but get to be borderline ridiculous at best.  They want you to fail even on simple tasks so they can show you a "better way".  Hopefully the instructors have stepped in alittle more now than when I was there to control the volunteer role players and keep the scenarios alittle more realistic.  It is good training though.  What dept. is you son with?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top