Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/20/2003 2:56:12 PM EDT

The below information was received from the FOP-NLC#2.  For additional information, please contact Tammy Michelson via email at [email protected]

http://www.e-thepeople.org/a-1/p/7346/

In response to the planned closure of 6 Postal Police facilities in the cities of Birmingham, Buffalo, Denver, Hartford, Jacksonville and Seattle, we have an online petition seeking support from all postal customers and employees.  With enough influence, (and numbers are influential) we intend to stop these closures.

I hope to see ALL your names on this.  Just follow the link above, or copy & paste into your browser address bar.

Deadline is fast (July 9, 2003).  Petition will go to Postmaster General Potter, Government Reform Committee Chair Tom Davis and Committee member John McHugh.

Consider sending this petition:
To your friends
To your family
To your coworkers
To a relevant email listserv
To a relevant Usenet newsgroup
To everyone you know, especially in the 6 affected cities.
http://www.e-thepeople.org/a-1/p/7346/

Thanks everyone!!

Tammy Michelson
National Secretary-Treasurer
Fraternal Order of Police-NLC #2
Representing U.S. Postal Police
Chris L. Granberg
Senior Legislative Liaison

Fraternal Order of Police
National Legislative Office
309 Massachusetts Avenue, NE
Washington, DC  20002
(O) (202) 547 - 8189
(F) (202) 547 - 8190

grandlodgefop.org
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 5:19:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Uh, why?

It's a federalized system that has not yet responded adequately to competitive pressures.

In their bag-o-tricks is a proposal to tax email transmissions and the long-standing refusal to ship firearms (handguns) is primarily because too many of their employees can't be trusted.

I have other options available to me than the USPS. The service is almost always better.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 5:39:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
In their bag-o-tricks is a proposal to tax email transmissions and the long-standing refusal to ship firearms (handguns) is primarily because too many of their employees can't be trusted.
View Quote

While I don't have any feelings one way or another regarding the Postal Police I'd like to point out the your listed reasons for not caring are kind of odd, because the first is based on an old Internet hoax ([url] http://www.snopes.com/business/taxes/602p.htm[/url]) and the second is a Federal law not a USPS regulation (in fact, you can use the USPS to ship handguns FFL to FFL, with no special charges). It was UPS and FedEx that decided to require next-day shipping on handguns because it was cheaper than hiring employees that wouldn't steal.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 8:50:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes If you knew how much the Postal Police and Postal Inspectors do and how much crap they stop (especially mail fraud) you would raise a [beer] to their efforts.

Dealing with the FBI, INS and ATF is like pissing in the wind, banging your head against the wall and smashing your balls in a spiked vise coated with iodine. When you deal with the Postal Police you get great service and response. If you need them to do something and they cando it you can consider it done...right. They are one of the few really good Federal Law Enforcement agencies.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 9:58:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Uh, why?
View Quote

It's an LEO thing!
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 11:16:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Uh, why?
View Quote

It's an LEO thing!
View Quote

LEO thing? Like as in we stick together because we are all public servants? I dont buy into that.

Are they part of the USPS? Or are they a seperate LE agency that deals with all mail service fraud?

I have never personally dealt with them so I have no understanding of what they do. I am sure im not the only one so please explain.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 11:31:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
LEO thing? Like as in we stick together because we are all public servants? I dont buy into that. explain.
View Quote

While I was being (or attempting to be) a little humorous, leos like any other group (including gun enthusiasts) tend to support one another.  

The postal police are different than postal inspectors.  Postal inspectors are essentially special agents who conduct investigations involving USPS crimes.  USPS police are uniformed police officers who provide security and protective services.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 12:58:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yes If you knew how much the Postal Police and Postal Inspectors do and how much crap they stop (especially mail fraud) you would raise a [beer] to their efforts.

Dealing with the FBI, INS and ATF is like pissing in the wind, banging your head against the wall and smashing your balls in a spiked vise coated with iodine. When you deal with the Postal Police you get great service and response. If you need them to do something and they cando it you can consider it done...right. They are one of the few really good Federal Law Enforcement agencies.
View Quote

I have had the exact opposite experience. The postal service guys around here don't ever seem to want to work, but the other feds, espeically the FBI, ATF and INS (I think they are "ICE" now, for Immigration and Customs Enforcement) have all been extremely helpful. Every time I have called any of those folks for help, 2-10 agents show up within a half hour, but they really do help, and haven't (yet) tried to take over. They are pretty good sports, and I have pawned many very crappy cases off on them. Now the postal guys, on the other hand, can turn a minor traffic accident into a three day nightmare of paperwork, and can't even be bothered to come out and lock up the Post Officer after a Burglary.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 9:14:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

While I don't have any feelings one way or another regarding the Postal Police I'd like to point out the your listed reasons for not caring are kind of odd, because the first is based on an old Internet hoax ([url] http://www.snopes.com/business/taxes/602p.htm[/url]) and the second is a Federal law not a USPS regulation (in fact, you can use the USPS to ship handguns FFL to FFL, with no special charges). It was UPS and FedEx that decided to require next-day shipping on handguns because it was cheaper than hiring employees that wouldn't steal.
View Quote

Actually, the urban legend has to do with a non-existent Senate bill. The USPS did float a trial balloon in the form of a strategic plan that included a tax on internet transmission. The supporting documents were obtained under a FOIA by members of the media.

Most FFLs tell you to by-pass the USPS entirely. As for FedEx's rationale, maybe so-but I don't want my firearms sitting in some package bin for more than a day, anyway.

I think the union is more interested in protecting revenue stream than anything else.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 10:44:15 AM EDT
[#9]
I suppose the Federal agencies differ from locale to locale. Up here it's pretty much the exact opposite. I had to hound a local FBI agent for four days to get an incident report/complaint sheet that was my PC for a crappy case HIS OFFICE DUMPED ON ME. He kept blaming his secretary for the delay.... yeah right. But in the Cleveland Area the Postal Guys are A-OKAY in my book.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 10:49:51 AM EDT
[#10]
How many more armed federal agencies do we need?

Link Posted: 6/22/2003 3:50:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top