Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/10/2003 2:16:03 PM EDT
Could use some help in finding a sig armorer.  The reason being I need a written statement to submit to my chief stating the Sig factory recomendations for maintenance on a p228.  Looking for things like how often a complete strip and inspect of the weapon should be done, and also after how many rounds should a firing pin,barrel, or springs be changed. I have tried to contact the Sig factory but have had no success.  Thank you for your help

Carlos
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 4:17:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Not a SIG armorer (officially) but I buy the parts and have to fix some things on them. I have OJT'ed tearning them down to the frame, though I haven't meesed with the slides at all. Our school trained armorers say that every 4 years, all springs should be changed on SIGs used as duty weapons, and we are about to do that soon. I don't think that includes stripping the slide, though. Changing all of the springs generally runs about $100 per weapon.

I am surprised SIG wouldn't help you out when you called. Their customer service has always been excellent, in my experience. Call them back and speak with LE sales.

If you get the runaround again, check here [url]http://www.sigarms.com/le-military/SIGARMS_LE_Sales_Reps.pdf[/url]for the contact information for your area sales representative.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 6:56:44 PM EDT
[#2]
While I'm a Sig armorer, I would recommend contacting the Sig Arms Academy and speak with them - I needed the same question answered and they are a pretty authoritative source.

FWIW, Sig recommends that weapons carried for LE duties be detail stripped and inspected every year or every 5,000 rounds, whichever comes first.  As far as springs, the most I've gotten out of Sig is to change the recoil spring every 5,000 rounds (except for the P220 every 3,500 rounds).  The real weak point in the Sig design in the trigger bar reset spring and I'd replace that every 5,000.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 9:56:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm a Sig armorer, just recertified. 5000 rounds is factory recommended detail strip and inspection. Springs are to be compared to a new and unused spring and need not be replaced if they are a good match in length and coiled (wound) springs are showing less than 1/4 inch of the inner spring.This assumes no functional problems are encountered. An excellent time to do this is immediately after annual T&Q. Undamaged barrels that shoot 6" at 75 feet need no replacement. In fact, it is the factory's position that barrels need not be replaced in most officer's entire 20+ year career.

Fred
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 9:58:23 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm a Sig armorer, just recertified. 5000 rounds is factory recommended detail strip and inspection. Springs are to be compared to a new and unused spring and need not be replaced if they are a good match in length and coiled (wound) springs are showing less than 1/4 inch of the inner spring.This assumes no functional problems are encountered. An excellent time to do this is immediately after annual T&Q. Undamaged barrels that shoot 6" at 75 feet need no replacement. In fact, it is the factory's position that barrels need not be replaced in most officer's entire 20+ year career.

Fred
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 12:11:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the help,  I downloaded the link for the LE reps and will be trying to establish contact tomorrow.  Thank you again everyone..
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 6:49:54 AM EDT
[#6]
last friday (6/6/03) I bought my first SIG...226 in .357 SIG, and a 9mm barrel also...I'm so happy...I believe its the finest pistol I've ever fired!!!
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 1:21:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Send an email to Doris at [email protected]

She can help you get the correct information.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:59:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Just an additional question for you SIG armorers out there. Are you guys having trouble with the slides showing surface rust? I carry a 220 on duty and notice that I have to wipe it down almost every day to keep the surface rust away. Is there some type of surface protectant (besides Gunkote, NP3 or anything else expensive) that will keep the rust monster away? I never had this problem when I carried my Baretta or Glock (yes, I know that plastic doesn't rust!). I'm looking for a good lubricant that will last for at least a week because I usually clean my weapon once a week. Are the Tetra products any good, how about Militec? Sorry about the hijack, just curious.

Thanks
Karl
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 11:54:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
... As far as springs, the most I've gotten out of Sig is to change the recoil spring every 5,000 rounds ...
View Quote

FWIW – Several years ago I replaced the recoil springs on the P228’s where I worked and started getting reports of occasional feeding problems.  

I talked to a Sig customer service rep, who suggested that the problem might be weak magazine springs.  Apparently the newer recoil spring increases the slide’s forward velocity, which reduces the time the magazine spring has to “present” the next round for loading.  (And we were using +P+ rounds, which sped things up anyway.)

Replacing the magazine springs corrected the problem.

Quoted:
…  I carry a 220 on duty and notice that I have to wipe it down almost every day to keep the surface rust away. Is there some type of surface protectant (besides Gunkote, NP3 or anything else expensive) that will keep the rust monster away? …
View Quote

Older blued Sigs are notoriously rust prone.  

Recently I’ve been using the Sentry Tuf-Cloth on my blued P228, which gives it a dry, rust resistant coating which seems to be pretty good.  I also use it on the mags, which are also rust prone.  You might want to try that.  Brownell’s sells it.

MilTech-1 has a [b]bad[/b] reputation for corrosion resistance.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 12:10:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the info. I'll get out my Brownell's catalog and see what else I need to order[:D]

Karl
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top