Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2003 9:12:13 PM EDT
Was watching 44 minutes and they said LAPD has M16 'machineguns'.  Do any LE agencies have automatic weapons?
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 9:20:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes. Some do have those toys. The local SD has MP5s and 9mm M16s.

Oh, and old Tommy guns.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 11:29:17 PM EDT
[#2]
My agency has access to automatic weaponry as well as an armored car kept at the county S.O.,
We have AR-15 in every patrol car and each comes equipped with three 20 round magazines of ammo.
My SOG team carries AR's with a plethora of ammo including frangible and A.P. and other speciality ammunition.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 2:14:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, ANY LE Agency can purchas/own fully auto anything. My small PD just bought a few...Never to be used, of course.

Be careful though. Most of the media will report various agencies, and even criminals and or citizens, have/own/sell, 'automatic weapons. Most of the time, they just leave out the 'semi' part, just to make the weapon sound evil. I do believe, though, that LAPD has many full auto weapons.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 2:28:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My agency has access to automatic weaponry as well as an armored car kept at the county S.O.,
We have AR-15 in every patrol car and each comes equipped with three 20 round magazines of ammo.
My SOG team carries AR's with a plethora of ammo including frangible and A.P. and other speciality ammunition.
View Quote

Mind if I ask what county? I just recently left Blount.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:22:31 AM EDT
[#5]
It depends on the administration, Chief, City Council etc. (Politics) I've seen some small departments that have issued them to the officers. I've also seen some that allow officers to carry their personally owned NFA weapons. I spoke to a an officer yesterday who said that his Chief would not do the CLEO sign-off on NFA's even for their own officers. They had to go to the Sheriff for it.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:44:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes, we have several M-2 Carbines. A couple of M-16's and MP-5's for the Tac. team. We have a 1921 Thompson with several original drum magazines. We also have a few that have been confiscated over the years including two MP-40's, Two Sten's, Three Beretta M-38's and a Thompson M1A1. Most of them have been neglected and haven't been touched in nearly 20 years. We also have a Boyes anti-tank rifle though only a few of us know what it is. Our arsenal is woefully inadequate and out dated. Unfortunately, most of our C3 stuff is not transferrable outside of Govt agencies because they were never registered. That can be blamed on apathetic and lazy armorers of the past. It's a shame too because we could fund enough C3 weapons to fill the needs of our Department with just the sale of the 21 Thompson. It's transferrable but the Chief won't sell it because it's factory stamped as property of our Department.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:35:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes we have M-4s and HK UMP 45s. I have the HK.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:02:57 AM EDT
[#8]
My dept has about 15 m16 commandos, 2 a2 battle rifles, & 4 colt 9mm smg's.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:14:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:31:49 AM EDT
[#10]
TCSD has a few UMP's we bought a couple of years ago.

My part time agency has an old grease gun they seized from somewhere; non-transferable unfortunately. They want to get rid of it too...

as for the thread starters comment on LAPD, it should be noted that the majority of the "machine guns" mentioned on the show were the  500 M16A1's the gov't gave LAPD after the shootout. Those were restricted to semi fire only and only issued to supervisory personnnel, I recall. Other than those weapons, I am sure their SWAT team has a full
selection of full auto weaponry.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:40:32 AM EDT
[#11]
My department, a metro Atlanta area Sheriffs Office, has a great patrol rifle program. Most deputies who can pass the patrol rifle course (no cake walk) are issued an AR 15. Some of us old timers with a SWAT or military background carry M16s. A couple of stooges like the two that shot up L.A. would be in a world of hurt in my county these days.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 6:06:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Our Special Operations has MP5s, M4s, Commandos, M16s, G3s and even an M60 or 2!  Now, why we need an M60 who knows!

Some districts have some MP5s and UMPs... some in semi and some in burst.  There may be some M4s and M16s out there in burst too.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 10:24:28 PM EDT
[#13]
we have 2 tommy guns that where acquired during the Prohibition days and apparently can't be transferred.  We just got rid of 2 m-16 a2 in exchange for 6 BM 16in CARs.

our cheief range officer is kicking around the idea of getting a glock conversion, just so we can all play.  probably wil never happen, though...until I'm Chief!  HAHAHA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top