Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2003 5:15:51 PM EDT
We decided to go with the .223 for our trip to Basic Sniper School.  Ended up going with the Savage Tactical.  Now I need help in choosing a round for the rifle.  It will be used in a Urban/sub-urban setting, with little or no shooting through barriers.  

I looked at the Federal Gold Match BTHP, but the department budget cannot stand it.  I need a round that gives good ballistics but will not break the department.  I read the Evan Marshall book "Street Stoppers" and it gives some good stats on the 40-55 gr JHP.  But we need one that also gives good accuracy.

Any thoughts or suggestions?  Any input will be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 11:59:43 PM EDT
[#1]
SGT830,

Did your savage come with the new trigger? They really make the savage hard to beat.

As far as ammo, have you looked into the Hornady T.A.P ammo. If the price is still too high for the Chief you may look into different manufacturers softpoint/hollowpoint non-match ammo.   If your shots are going to be 200yds and in these regular loads may give near M.O.A. accuracy in your savage.

As far as training your state DOJ can help you or look into a local FBI class

Good luck

Wildthing
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:59:07 PM EDT
[#2]
For accuracy stay with Federal or Blackhills ammo.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 7:30:13 PM EDT
[#3]
While most "Match Grade" ammos are great, your particular weapon may "like" some flavors and "dislike" others because of the sine wave generated by your barrel upon ignition. And just because you have two identical rifles does not necessarily mean that they will like the same brand of ammo. The only way I know of is to try several different types (any of those mentioned above) and see which one produces the best results. (Then buy as much of the same lot# as you forsee yourself shooting until you have to re-zero.) As most police rifle shots take place well under 100 yards, you probably won't go wrong with any good match grade ammo, but I hate the word "Probably" when we're talking about things like CNS shots.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:02:10 PM EDT
[#4]
how long is the barrel and what is the rifling??

most of your .223 will do just fine with a 55 gr bullet -

my .223 has a short barrel (20") and a 1:9 twist - the 55gr is way too light - she prefers 69gr Federal Gold Match ammo ...

to reitorate the comments by pale pony, you really need do need to try a variety of ammo in your particular rifle...there is alot of decent ammo out there for the .223 that won't break the bank...
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 8:30:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Go with the Black Hills ammo it shoots realy well. Federal is my first choice but Black Hills iss a little cheaper.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top