Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2003 8:42:28 PM EDT
Exactly one year ago I went through the testing process for the department of my choice, the McLean County Sheriff’s Department in Illinois.  The process was four months long, consisting of an orientation meeting, power test, written test, merit commission interview, deputy interview, and chief deputy interview.  Out of 40 applicants, ten were selected to compile the hiring list (I was included among the ten).  Immediately after the list was formed a yearlong hiring freeze was put into effect which ended just last week.   Three of the ten on the list were selected to go before the sheriff for the final interview, and I ended up getting the job offer!  

BTW:  When asked why I wanted to be on a sheriff’s department, I was specific and said, “Through reviewing the conceptual models of policing in America at Illinois State University, I found that a sheriff’s department appealed to me the for three reasons: (1) A sheriff’s department is a militia type model of policing, with the sheriff elected by the community and held accountable to the same. (2) The sheriff’s department is the oldest type of policing in America with roots dating back to the old English common law era.  (3) I have a rural background, and since the majority of the citizens within McLean County are rural residents, I know I can relate with and communicate effectively with those residents within the department’s jurisdiction.

I think what helped me out the most was my prior Marine Corps MP service, my 100 hours of criminal justice sciences credits, and my willingness to just act myself and carry on a good and intelligent conversation.  

Hope this helps those in the holding pattern/testing process!
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 8:47:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Congratulations!  
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 9:10:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Good work.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 9:13:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Congratulations
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 10:38:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Congratulations, Deputy!

Another [i]good[/i] cop.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 3:11:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Congradulations
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:05:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:30:01 PM EDT
[#7]
whoot-whoot!  congrats.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 7:33:47 AM EDT
[#8]
You live in McLean county?!?!?! I live in Bloomington. Wanna get together and shoot someone...er...thing!! And now you are a Deputy? Congrads man!!
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 7:52:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Congratulations!!!!

Let's be careful out there.....
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 12:49:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks guys!  Exciting times for me right now!
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 1:24:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Congratulations and Good Luck!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top