Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/15/2003 3:49:00 AM EDT
Any of you Border Patrol Agents? Anyone know about the hiring process.I took the test about a month and a half ago and made an 88.What happens next?
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 10:11:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Selection process can take up to a year to complete.
If selected, Twin Falls Minn. will have a background and financial responsibility check done for security clearance.
You will then go on a five month exotic vacation to sunny Charleston South Carolina where you will be wined, dined, and trained by the finest professionals, all at gov't. expense.
Upon completion of the academy you will be issued a weapon, badge and creds.
Then you will be assigned to a duty station, more than likely at least 1000 miles from friends and family. (Naco AZ, or Eagle Pass TX)
When you get to the duty station you will be the FNG with all privleges, and responsibilities due. (get the rookie to do it!)
On your seventh and tenth month, you will be evaluated on your performance and judged for sutability, whether to be retained or released from your duties.
If you are retained THEN you can be considered a true Border Patrol Agent and reap the benefits of a GS-9 paycheck.
Good luck, and welcome to the wondeful world of DHS/BCBP!

Edited to add: Hey rookie, get me a beer! [:D]

Link Posted: 5/17/2003 7:24:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Start listening to spanish stations and taking spanish classes. More guys wash out after the academy from failing their spanish exam than anything else. The academy is considered one of the toughest PT in the FED so start jogging, doing situps and pushups. Way back when the cutoff was 85, I dont know what it is now. You will still have oral interviews. to pass as well.
Bien suerte amigo
Lebrew
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 7:35:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been the rookie before... It usually meant, "Hey, the rookie wore his vest, he goes first."I've been doing my PT at work with a friend cardiac and weight lifting,trying to get back in shape.I had a "secret" clearance as a commo guy in the guard, would that help ,hinder , or dont matter.
I'm working on the Spanish part ,too.I took the artificial language on the test, however.Oh well...
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 8:39:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Prior clearances won't matter, They will re do everything.
As for the Artificial language test, that has got to be some of the craziest nonsense I have ever seen!
Had a new guy bring in his pre test handout and all I could do was act like I knew WTF it was about.
Luckily I joined the service in 86, so all they wanted was willing bodies.
The other thing that's a killer for guys in the academy is the law portion, So be sure to study hard before each test.
Pretty much by rote, memorize it long enough to pass, and then forget it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 5:52:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I took the Art Language because my Spanish is not so good (only what I've been taught at Criminal Patrol schools).It WAS BY FAR, the most goofiest FUBAR'ed test I've ever taken.Besides the fact that I haven't been in an English class in over a decade,all the past participle possessive feminine crap really mind screwed me.I was impressed with my score ,however.I figured I would have done worse.I felt really mind screwed.I'm hoping for the best though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top