Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/9/2003 11:02:59 PM EDT
OK, got a letter saying thanks for applying blah blah blah, 70% is required to move on, blah blah, and you got a 61.33%. What the hell is that?

Here is why I am confused.

I was only asked one question where I could give more that a 3 word answer. And that question was, "Tell us a little about yourself, and why you think your qualified for this position. I had an answer ready for that question and said it with no problems.

Every other question after that had to do with the following:

Credit history: Do you have a credit card? How much debt are you in $ amount? Do you have any delinquencies?

My Answers: Yes, 2 cards, about 10K in debt. Then had to explain why I was in debt.

Drinking history: Have you been drunk? When was the last time? In the past 2 years how many times have you been drunk?

Tobacco use: Do you use tobacco products?

My Answer: No

My Answers: Yes, I have been drunk. Last time about 4 months ago. In the past 2 years I've been drunk under 8 times.

Drug use: Ever try any drugs? Hold, transport, or sell drugs?

My Answers: No, No and No.

Work related: If we contact your employer would they have anything negative to say about you? Have you ever called in sick when you were not?

My Answers: They would say nothing negative. Once, because I couldn’t get out of a prior engagement.

And the final question, "What was the worst thing you have ever done in your life?" There is one vague subjective fucking question.

My Answer: I stole a magazine when I was 12.

Ok, so I answered all the questions honestly. What the fuck do these people want from me?
What are they looking for? Yeah I have an occasional drink, and I'm in a little debt. Other than that I am a model fucking citizen who wants an honest, paying job as a police officer.

From what I have gathered from talking to other cops and looking on the net, I was expecting some questions dealing with:

Why do you want to be a cop?
Scenario questions
Questions about my knowledge of the city and the department

And I didn’t hear one of those.

Anyone who could shed some light, please, turn on the goddamn switch!
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:52:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't worry about it.  I know it's disappointing and frustrating at times but that's life.  

I applied at an agency about a year and a half ago and they drilled me in the oral board for about 5 and a half hours the entire time treating it like an interrogation and putting me down and trying me to admit to stuff I've never done.  They ended up hiring  newbies with no experience and hired instead a hair stylist, mechanic, to name a few.  Even though I was way more highly qualified and had tons of in service training I just wasn't what they wanted.  

Now I think about it and it was a blessing in disguise.  

BTW....BAYTOWN, TX PD you can kiss my butt!
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 12:59:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Try this, I have been a decorated volunteer down here for 2 years, and was told to apply.  i have en excellent work record and I have been a squeeky clean citizen as you have because I have wanted to be a cop since I was little.

They have no problem with me working for them for free, they just apparently didn't want to pay me.

I did use everyone in the company I know to call the LT and find out why, so for a good month he was getting flooded with calls about me until he finnaly gave in to talk to me.

When I called he made up some BS about me disrespecting a "recent employer" I have one recent employer and they had not contacted them yet, nor did i say anything of the sort, nor did anything happen...

Who the hell knows.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 6:50:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 7:08:08 AM EDT
[#4]
As far as I can tell, there's no rhyme or reason to it at all.  

Unless you're a minority, that is.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 7:16:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Prolly just the opposite. White caucasian male.

"we're an affirmative action employer. THerefore, we must hire someone black, mexican, handicapped, or otherwise a minority. You're qualifications are excellet, but since you are not a persecuted minority, we're goign ot have to pass over you."

[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 7:50:46 AM EDT
[#6]
[aw, fuck it.  If I post what I wanted to post, some asshole is going to come in here and call me a racist....  So instead of that, I've opted for the path of least resistance.  Politically incorrect thought deleted.]
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 9:36:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
...My Answers: Yes, 2 cards, about 10K in debt. Then had to explain why I was in debt.

Drinking history: Have you been drunk? When was the last time? In the past 2 years how many times have you been drunk?

My Answers: Yes, I have been drunk. Last time about 4 months ago. In the past 2 years I've been drunk under 8 times.
View Quote

[b]The following are not personal just my estimation of what could have happened.[/b]

My guess, these two:

The perception with high revolving credit debt is you are not responsible.  

Drunk 8 times over 2 years is once every three  months and shows a lack of self discipline.

Credit debt is always a hot button.  All you can do is reduce it.  The drinking issues should be countered with, "How do you define drunk."  If you do not met the definition, I.e., legally impaired say no, I have a few from time to time but I do not get drunk.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 9:42:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I agree with QCMGR. Credit debt was a red flag.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 12:44:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah I would feel that the credit question burned you. Many places are big on that.. they don't mind if you are in debt on a house or major ticket item but cringe when its several credit cards....

some places feel its not only a lack of responsibility but makes you more open to graft and taking bribes etc...

I don't feel the drinking question was that damaging...
be glad they did not ask you any scenario questions guys usually smash their dick on those

Question did you have a polygraph before the interview...

Just keep you head up and apply, apply, apply!! Very few of us get hired on the first try.

See if you can get in somewhere as a part timer or aux or dispatcher...
good luck
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 1:59:32 PM EDT
[#10]
It took me about a year and applying to 5 agencies to get hired where i am today.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 4:49:55 PM EDT
[#11]
The last board I sat on had a specific list of questions each of the interviewers had to ask. The questions had been reviewed and approved by the Chief, Legal Dept and the City Council.

We were not allowed to add any question of our own and we were instructed not to answer any questions from the applicant other than to say "you will be contacted if you are selected for the next phase of the testing process."

We had to stay strictly with those questions that were given us so that no personal preferences could be used.

We were a three member board and took turns asking the questions. We had a grade sheet on how to grade the answers (the expected answers were on the grading sheet) to each question with ratings of one to five with the high score of five for the best answer.

After grading the questions, we had to tally all the scores together for the applicants grade.

I sat on another board without any guidelines and the Major who sat next to me (I was a Lieutanant)who has a deeply religious background asked the question of the first applicant, "Do you go to Church?". I instructed the applicant to not answer that question and asked him to step outsie for a minute. The Major looked at me puzzled and I reminded him that no question could be asked that would reflect any kind of discriminition or preference of Race, Creed, Color, National Origin, or Religion.

I hope this gives you some insight of what goes on with these boards. I've only been involved in nine of them sitting on the other side of the table.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 6:29:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I dunno what happened to my other answer.  But I been involved with recruiting/staffing for over 20 years.  Short terse answers aren't usually appropriate.  They'l ask (or should ask) everybody the same basic question bas. Flowery language as evidenced here if used would be a negative.

If they had an EEO/AA target, and if they receive Federal money they probably do, that carries a lot of weight, especially when you have a lot of more or less equally qualified candidates. How many openings did they really have?  If they only have 2 or 3 openings and you came out #4, yer sol.  If it's your first interview, review your bearing and answers and chalk it up to beginners luck.

After a few years I could usually tell within 5 minutes, who was a new interviewer, a BS artist, smooth interviewer and who would be recommended further.

Will you get any official feedback? NO. It's almost guaranteed to start an argument, because the interviewee won't agree.

Try some of the bigger departments that are looking for a lot of people, you can probably at least get interviewing practice.  If you make it you can look at a lateral a few years down the line.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 8:17:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Maybe you should calm down. Losing your temper and using foul language isn't a sign of a good police officer cadidate. There is a reason you didn't get chosen. I'm sure the interviewers had nothing to gain/lose by not selecting/selecting you. Just my opinion. I'm shootin it straight from the hip.

Christy
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 11:21:37 AM EDT
[#14]
It took me the last 15 months of solid applications/testing/interviews with over 10 departments to get a full-time position with the county starting 01 Jun 03. Money is tight for most areas. That is with 7 yrs Army Infantry, 7 yrs USAF SP, 4 yrs part-time police in AL and OK. They just want the best. Show that you are. Try to get experience by part-timing it somewhere. It gives you experience and a leg up on tyhe competition
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 11:30:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Maybe when you introduced yourself as "SexualChocolate" they thought better of hiring you!
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 3:01:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Maybe you should calm down. Losing your temper and using foul language isn't a sign of a good police officer cadidate. There is a reason you didn't get chosen. I'm sure the interviewers had nothing to gain/lose by not selecting/selecting you. Just my opinion. I'm shootin it straight from the hip.

Christy
View Quote

Yeah right. Like I've never been cussed by a cop over a traffic violation.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 3:13:29 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
View Quote

Quoted:Yeah right. Like I've never been cussed by a cop over a traffic violation.
View Quote

If one of my guys cursed at a motorist over a traffic violation, they would be looking at days off, at a minimum.

Mentally stable professionals conducting their normal duties, like performing traffic stops, don't curse at violators. Maybe back at the car. Maybe at lunch, out of earshot of the public. Never to a member of the public, even someone you are fighting with.

Link Posted: 5/11/2003 4:45:56 PM EDT
[#18]
If one of my guys cursed at a motorist over a traffic violation, they would be looking at days off, at a minimum.

Mentally stable professionals conducting their normal duties, like performing traffic stops, don't curse at violators. Maybe back at the car. Maybe at lunch, out of earshot of the public. Never to a member of the public, even someone you are fighting with.

[/quote]

hell where I work if you don't swear at them sometimes you don't get their attention.

How was your driving record? I got turned down once because I had two tickets on my record. even though they were a few years apart the agency's insurance would not cover officers with a crappy driving record (That place ran on a threadbare shoestring!)

If you are really interested call and ask them under the guise of constructive criticism.. the worst they can say is "no" but if they tell you then you won't make the same mistake again.

Sexual Chocolate.. don't worry. Finding a job in LE just takes time and a lot of effort. Everyone here has given you solid advice because we were once were you are now! So don't worry

BTY what is up with the name "Sexual Chocolate?"
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 5:48:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:
View Quote

Quoted:Yeah right. Like I've never been cussed by a cop over a traffic violation.
View Quote

View Quote

Well I obviously don't live were you work. And no, I wasn't a punk or a smartass. And what was I to do?? Call the station and complain? Who's got the time?

I took the ticket and paid it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 12:50:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 6:08:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Well I obviously don't live were you work. And no, I wasn't a punk or a smartass. And what was I to do?? Call the station and complain? Who's got the time?

View Quote

So you don't have the time to complain to internal affairs yet you certainly have the time here to bitch about how mistreated you were. I have a feeling if you were treated THAT BAD you would have complained immediately.

Christy
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 6:44:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

So you don't have the time to complain to internal affairs yet you certainly have the time here to bitch about how mistreated you were. I have a feeling if you were treated THAT BAD you would have complained immediately.

Christy
View Quote

[:K]
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 9:03:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Prolly just the opposite. White caucasian male.

"we're an affirmative action employer. THerefore, we must hire someone black, mexican, handicapped, or otherwise a minority. You're qualifications are excellet, but since you are not a persecuted minority, we're goign ot have to pass over you."

[rolleyes]
View Quote

We must have applied at some of the same places, I've heard this more than once back in the early '90's.

KEEP PLUGGING, EVENTUALLY YOU WILL GET HIRED
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 4:30:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Christy
View Quote

View Quote

Well then you're not as in touch with your "feelings" as you think.

It was a speeding ticket. The officer said "You've just earned a fucking ticket". I was one of three cars lined up along the road waiting for justice to be dispensed and the tax to be levied. It was a State Trooper in South Carolina while I was traveling to Myrtle Beach.

Was I pissed? Sure. Did I feel that reporting the event was worth it at the time? Nope.

Does that make the event less true? Sounds like your "feelings" tell you no.

God help someone who makes a slightly negative post about the brotherhood.

Link Posted: 5/14/2003 5:57:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Christy
View Quote

View Quote

It was a speeding ticket. The officer said "You've just earned a fucking ticket". I was one of three cars lined up along the road waiting for justice to be dispensed and the tax to be levied. It was a State Trooper in South Carolina while I was traveling to Myrtle Beach.

Was I pissed? Sure. Did I feel that reporting the event was worth it at the time? Nope.

View Quote

Motor_City_Tactical,

The troll was for littlechristylu not you.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 11:07:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Christy
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Motor_City_Tactical,

View Quote

I know! Thanks!!
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 11:25:23 AM EDT
[#27]
I applied for Gwinnett Police. I passed the entry level test. When we went to do the paperwork for the BG check they told us to answer the questions honestly. Well on the drug section I answered it honestly. I said I'd smoked pot before. Now this was 10+ years ago. I have no criminal record, no DUI, no arrests and have a conceled weapons permit. I receive a letter last week telling me because of my "drug problem" I was being removed from the process. I about laughed to death. First off I'm not a drug addict. I tried it once and left it alone. Not to mention it was over 10+ years ago. I've not tried, or done anything since then. I did everything they required and apparently got removed for being honest. Fucking lame. It's sad when a good citizen with no record except some traffic sitations over the years can't get a job as an officer. While other people that lie, cheat, steal can keep a job and hell even get promoted to a higher level. I've always had a saying and I find it true. Honesty is the best policy, but can fuck you. That's ok I'll find a department that will accept me for my honesty.

Andy
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 7:02:46 PM EDT
[#28]
w30olds...

I am policing here in Gwinnett County and have been for the past five years (I don't work for GCPD).  If you want to stay in Gwinnett the following agencies are hiring: Norcross (needs good people badly), Lilburn and Suwanee.  Of course the Gwinnett Sheriff's Department is always hiring.  The S.D. pays well but plan on spending your first 5 years in the jail before they will consider transferring you to another division (Transport, Warrant Service, Court Services, Family Violence Unit, etc...)  I speak from experiance, 2 1/2 years there.  

Cobb County, Alpharetta and Roswell are good places too.  Walton County S.O. should be opening 20odd positions soon.  Doraville PD is a hoping place plus they issue the FN5.7 Pistol to rank and file.  Walton and Doraville both work 12 hour shifts.

If you don't care about pay or benefits check out Dekalb (good pay, bad bennies)or Atlanta (average pay, average bennies.)  Dekalb works 10 hour shifts.

Insofar as the marijuana 10 years ago that should not be an issue unless Gwinnett recently changed thier policy.  I have friends who work GCPD who have told me, that they told GCPD Background, that they smoked weed multiple times in the past and still got hired with no apparent issues.  All I can tell you is try all over.

Are you employed in Law Enforcement elsewhere?  
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 7:50:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 7:21:10 AM EDT
[#30]
It took me 4X's and three different agencies...I ended up in the S.O. and after a year working in the County Jail...2.5 years on Patrol and for the last 6 months have been in CID, I'm also on the Dive Team/ Water Patrol and Honor Guard...
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 5:52:39 PM EDT
[#31]
I am a Deputy Sheriff here in California and can only give you advise based on our POST guidelines.

To take all the guesswork out of how you did on your orals I would suggest you request a copy of your oral board score card.

Good Luck.

Link Posted: 5/18/2003 6:08:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Yep, it is best to answer those questions in Spanish or Ebonics next time. Might try a little shoe polish for effect too.

Now, my tinfoil hat theory is that you might have appeared intelligent. Police departments do not want overly-intelligent candidates, besides, the New World Order would not work with police officers who MIGHT question authority.

Try it no more than 2 more times and then give up on it, as mentionede before, it's probably a blessing in disguise.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 5:19:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Sexual Chocolate was the name of the band at the chuch meeting in the movie "Coming To America"  which of course takes place mostly in glorious Queens, NYC!
-bill NREMT-B
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 12:56:07 PM EDT
[#34]
I am a firefighter in Northern California; I have sat on a few oral boards and may have some helpful advice for you.
 In my experience 75% of the people that we interview are, as far as we can tell in an interview, capable candidates with no glaring problems. They come across as above average when compared to most people I know in day to day life. The hard part is figuring out the roughly 5% that we send to the chief's interview. I don't know how competitive LE jobs are in your area, but for our fire department, we interview about one hundred people for 2-3 openings. That is after the written and physical agility test has weeded out another 100 or so.
 So in order to 'pass' the oral exam it is not enough to be good, you have to be great. In order to stand out among some really solid people, one must show more enthusiasm and knowledge than others, and do so in a friendly professional way. Remember, these interviewers are looking at the people they will be working with.
 I understand your frustration at not passing, and to feel rejection is normal, it regularly takes people 10+ tests in this area to get learn the interview process and get a job, so hang in there and keep testing.
 A few pointers:
Know the department, if they ask you what you know about the department, talk at length about everything you can, from budgets to staffing and types of equipment, missions, tasks, special groups like SWAT, K-9, etc.  This is one area where it is ok to talk until they stop you, as long as you approach it in a systematic way, don't ramble. It is important to also show why the specific characteristics of the department suit your needs and you suit theirs.
 The candidate who does his or her homework about the department and can show how he or she can benefit the department as described stands way above the people that don't, and many do very little.

I have had candidates, when asked about the department say, "uh, I don't know much about the department, but I really like the area, it is beautiful." This guy has no chance of getting a job compared to the guy that goes into detail about our department and dovetails that with why he would fit in. Like, "You have a Paramedic program that I understand is expanding in the next five years. I am enrolled in paramedic school now and look forward to putting the knowledge to use in this department." Even if the "the area is beautiful" guy was already a medic, I would take the medic student over him.
  Enthusiasm is infectiousness. The oral panel sees many people, and many interviews seem the same for the people on the board, genuine enthusiasm is VERY important to stand out. It is OK to look nervous in the interview, it shows you care, but never look bored or be too laid back, remember to smile a lot and talk about how excited you are for the opportunity to work at that department.
I would say attitude and enthusiasm for the job as specific to the department are the two most overlooked details to present in an oral interview, and make you a memorable candidate.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 7:26:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Motor_City_Tactical,

END

I know that Chrisylu is not a troll from her posts on Glock talk. Perhaps you should take a long look in the mirror. Some times it takes a while to get on. Maybe the interviewers saw somthing in you they did not like. Maybe your not mature enough for the job yet. After the hiring process it just gets harder. First there is the academy. Which may or not be military based and if it is good luck it will be no pleasure cruise. Then there is the FTO program and thats where we lose most of our people. Some people find out later they are good people but are not good cops.
PAT
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 8:00:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Motor_City_Tactical,

END

I know that Chrisylu is not a troll from her posts on Glock talk. Perhaps you should take a long look in the mirror. Some times it takes a while to get on. Maybe the interviewers saw somthing in you they did not like. Maybe your not mature enough for the job yet. After the hiring process it just gets harder. First there is the academy. Which may or not be military based and if it is good luck it will be no pleasure cruise. Then there is the FTO program and thats where we lose most of our people. Some people find out later they are good people but are not good cops.
PAT
View Quote

You need to go back and re-read the post and figure out who you are talking about.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 5:26:01 PM EDT
[#37]
You opened your mouth,,sorry well not sorry. Go out get an Attorney and appeal the decision,, I'm telling you,,put some money down get a guy that specializes in these type of situations
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:45:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Christy
View Quote

View Quote

I'm a troll because I say something you don't agree with? Trademark AR15.com response.

Christy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top