Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/6/2003 3:34:08 AM EDT
Does anyone know of a Level one holster that will protect the magazine release on a G21/G17. I have a left handed officer on my department who carries his G21 in a Safariland Top Gun Mdl 200. the magazine release button IS ON THE OUTSIDE. He's constantly having the magazine become loose inside the mag well without his knowledge. Yesterday he had to draw down on a idiot who pulled a knife on him during a traffic stop (he didn't want his mommy to be arrested) Guess what fell out of his G21 (thank GOD it wasn't a SW with those fucking worthless magazine disconnects) Thankfully the idiot became a genius and complied with the officer's commands. All ended well.

Does anyone know of a holster that's level one and will protect the magazine button release. It must be able to be bought in Black leather basketweave  we are forbidden to wear nylon.

thanks in advance
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 4:53:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm left handed and carried a Glock 17 in a Safariland Top Gun Holster. I have a level I and later went to a level III. I've never had that problem.

If you look at both the left hand and the right hand holsters, you may find that the magazine release is exposed on both. The problem is that the left handed officers sometimes bump against something and it hits the magazine release. It's easier to do because the magazine release is now on the outside on left handed officers holsters and less protected. My biggest problem was catching the seat belt on the holster and pistol when I was getting out of the car. I had to modify my actions by moving the seat belt completely out of the way before getting out.

There are several manufacturers out there that make holsters. Safariland, Don Hume, Bianchi are the top three that come to mind.

You may also find what you're looking for in the Galls Catalog:

www.galls.com

Also, check www.officer.com that site has bunches of links to Police Equipment supply.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 7:35:17 AM EDT
[#2]
We have quite a few left-handed officers and we have researched that problem and haven't been able to find any that cover the mag release.  We made the suggestion to several of the manufacturers but I haven't followed up with any of them to see if they have made any changes.  Good luck in your search.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 8:15:51 AM EDT
[#3]
It is likely that he is hitting the seatbelt, or door and activating the release. If the holster is "anchored" have him move it a 1/2" froward or back on the belt and try it like that for a while.

Also he should get into the habit of checking the magazine several times a shift.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 7:33:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Andrew, Also look into the opposite of what alot of people do--trim the release button down some. Although this may make it a little harder to do a magazine change, it would be better to have a sure 14 vs. 1.

Mark
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top