Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2003 5:10:09 PM EDT
Hi all. I'm working on a story for "Police" Magazine dealing with preventing patrol vehicle theft. Can anyone here point me to sources for equipment to perform such a task? Or do you all simply just take the key and lock the doors? (How about when that's impractical due to the necessity of quick egress?) TIA for any help or suggestions. [:)]
Link Posted: 4/21/2003 6:48:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Our city garage installed brake light kill switches in our CV's, and an added bonus is that with the brake lights cut off, the car will not come out of Park (even when running). We've started using this as an impromptu "anti-theft" device (so that we can leave the AC running while on a call, and still have a car to come back to).
Link Posted: 4/22/2003 1:27:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Get the Gall's agency edition, they have several electronic disablers that might fit the bill.
Also, a simple battery disconect can be mounted in a unobtrusive place.
Those are available at any quality auto parts store.

Edited to add:
There is a switch used by K9 units that allows the vehicle to run (for AC or heater), as soon as the gear selector is engaged the vehicle shuts off.
Link Posted: 4/22/2003 2:13:21 PM EDT
[#3]
All of our cars have  a feature that allows you to remove the key, (after pressing a button) with the vehicle running. If someone were to attempt to put the car into gear while the vehicle is in this mode, it shuts down. To deactivate it, the key has to be put back in and turned to "on". It's a really nice luxury.
Link Posted: 4/23/2003 9:11:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/23/2003 9:18:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Our city garage installed brake light kill switches in our CV's, and an added bonus is that with the brake lights cut off, the car will not come out of Park (even when running). We've started using this as an impromptu "anti-theft" device [red](so that we can leave the AC running while on a call[/red], and still have a car to come back to).
View Quote

In violation of the law, common sense, and decency.
Link Posted: 4/23/2003 6:31:10 PM EDT
[#6]
There always has to be at least one.

Jay
Link Posted: 4/23/2003 6:33:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
All of our cars have  a feature that allows you to remove the key, (after pressing a button) with the vehicle running. If someone were to attempt to put the car into gear while the vehicle is in this mode, it shuts down. To deactivate it, the key has to be put back in and turned to "on". It's a really nice luxury.
View Quote

Avondale PD uses the same type of system, but the shifter will not come out of park until you've inserted the key, and returned it to the run position.

Jay
Link Posted: 4/24/2003 12:41:51 PM EDT
[#8]
That's what we have. It's awesome, except when you get 20 things running through your head, and forget to put the key back it. Happens to me daily it seems. :)
Link Posted: 4/24/2003 6:41:43 PM EDT
[#9]
We found a simple solution to the problem. Make a spare copy of your key that you keep on you and always lock your door when you get out. As far as when they're parked in front of your house, use the same methods that you do for your POV. Of course this is in a small southern town, where we frequently have don't have these problems.
Link Posted: 4/25/2003 5:31:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Since we have take-homes, I just have multiple copies of my car key.  i leave one in the ignition when I'm working, so I can leave the car running when neccessary, and not have any problem locking the car.  And I always hit the car lock button on my way out.
dp
Link Posted: 4/26/2003 10:06:15 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm still old fashioned.. I turn the cruiser off and lock it.....

You just never know what the little (or big) F**kers will do while you're inside on a call..

Never, Never leave you windows down either... I and a buddy once relate a story about how they went to bar fight and parked the cruisers outside and went inside to deal with the call. Another responding agency left their rear windows down.. Someone (s) barfed in the back seat.

I've exited bars after fights and found my wheels wet- didn't see no four legged dogs either!
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 11:57:11 PM EDT
[#12]
phrigid,  what small town?  I work in Conway.

Take the key and lock it.  When it's hot, leave the back windows down, and the cage closed.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 1:48:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Leave the K-9 on the front seat?  Although you win the battle you might lose the war.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top