Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2014 7:06:40 PM EDT
I've been through what seems like a long, stressful hiring process. I tested for a department with 35+ people and preference points and everything made it second place on their list, passed the background check, and recently had a second interview. I know they were looking to hire two people, and they recently interviewed the top five people. I feel like I did well on the second interview. In addition, I am currently employed in a job that gives me lots of experience in dealing with the public as well as getting to know the entire area geographically. I also participated in a department sponsored activity a few years ago that lasted several weeks and completed the program (this was brought up in the interview, as well).

Yesterday I learned they offered one position to the #1 guy on the list, but I haven't heard anything yet. I feel like I was passed up. I guess i'm looking for encouragement or motivation to keep going. I was told even if they do pass me up that i'll be able to interview again. But what good is that if they passed me up the first time around? I really want this job but I feel like it's slipping away.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 7:18:20 PM EDT
[#1]
HR can work in some mysterious ways.  Don't get discouraged, but also realize that you may be stressing out over nothing.  I've met plenty of people who thought "I would make a great Officer for XYZ Department", but they were either too high-strung, their references didn't check out, or some other reason prevented them from being eligible.  

Don't get discouraged, keep positive thoughts, and don't think that this stuff is an overnight process.  Hell it took me 2-years to get on with the Feds the first time around.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 7:19:58 PM EDT
[#2]
It's not uncommon to have to try two or three times. Sometimes they want to make sure you really want it. Just keep trying.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 7:32:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
HR can work in some mysterious ways.  Don't get discouraged, but also realize that you may be stressing out over nothing.  I've met plenty of people who thought "I would make a great Officer for XYZ Department", but they were either too high-strung, their references didn't check out, or some other reason prevented them from being eligible.  

Don't get discouraged, keep positive thoughts, and don't think that this stuff is an overnight process.  Hell it took me 2-years to get on with the Feds the first time around.
View Quote

Hmm. I"ll take that into consideration. I'm definitely not over qualified and I wouldn't have passed my background if my references didn't check out. They didn't even contact all of them. They contacted 2-3 of the five and interviewed my neighbors. My roommate is a local LEO  and knows the guy that did my background. I definitely passed my background.

But thanks for the encouragement.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 7:34:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It's not uncommon to have to try two or three times. Sometimes they want to make sure you really want it. Just keep trying.
View Quote

I haven't looked from that perspective. It's odd to me though that they would offer the positions to others below me though.

Thank you though.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:04:28 PM EDT
[#5]
There is book smart and street smart.  Many folks are academically aces and people skills dumb.  So while one may ace the written and score higher, they many not do as well in the oral/panel.  Just maybe #3, 4 or 5 did better orally.  Bing realistic, that half is more important than the written part.  Not taking any personal digs, but you have no idea how the others answered.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:21:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Dude....

There is a complete and total undercurrent to the hiring process for any government job, that increases in complexity and velocity the smaller the entity.

Just understand that your definition of 'qualified' and theirs may not even be in the same zip code.

Also, your pecking order means little. Ask a Fed about the rule of three (five??).

Having said all of that, if you want to be a real Patrolman, don't quit. Your future may not lie with that department. And, I'll give you the secret to being hired... go join their Reserve unit.

Hang in there, we've all been there.

Shawn

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 10:45:34 PM EDT
[#7]
You think that sucks?  I've been trying for 3 years (I think) to get on with any department/agency that I'm qualified for.  I've passed tests with high scores, maxed pt test, passed oral boards, made it to eligibility lists, background process, poly's etc.  Still haven't been offered a job.  But I keep trying.  I just applied for two more departments today and am starting to even look out of state.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:36:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Politics often come into play...Sometimes you gotta have some juice. I got my start as a reserve, did well, got hired. Rose my right hand and swore. Been swearing ever since.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:31:35 AM EDT
[#9]
I am with KenM.

Politics are HUGE in LE.

Make friends and polish the friendship. I do not mean kiss ass, I mean be a REAL FRIEND. Build trust, EARN the friendship. In that, those that are in that department your seeking will see who you really are...and yes, they will talk you up.

But if your going in blind, its hit or miss...

Took me three tries to get hired.

Had to realize that no matter what happened the JOB did NOT define ME.

And now I in the same boat as you except from a promotion stand point...

They promote who THEY WANT and not who is "qualified"

So its a gamble brother...

Dont give up!
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:12:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Thank you for your advice everyone. I really do appreciate it. They hired #1 and #4 but I am still on the eligible list to be interviewed next time they hire.
With me being number two I would feel really bad if they hired 1 and 3. So it's a waiting game now and see what I can do to improve myself in the mean time. It's got me down honestly but getting mad isn't going to help.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:39:32 PM EDT
[#11]
How do you even know you are ranked #2?

It's their department until you get hired (only then does it become yours).  They can hire who they choose.  Sometimes, you aren't that person.  

In my current department, I wasn't picked the first time around.  I was disappointed but kept hoping and calling them occasionally asking if there were any openings.  Eventually my time there came and I was hired.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:56:45 PM EDT
[#12]
I've done backgrounds on people high on our list to have them passed over even though they were good candidates. It's why they have backgrounds done on multiple people. Here we interview 4 for two positions and 5 for three and so on. The guy in question didn't go over well with one of the panel during the second interview. He thought he was cocky. The job isn't guaranteed because of a position on a list. Keep plugging away. If you find out that you were passed over contact the department and ask why. Don't demand cuz that won't get you anywhere.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 6:56:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I applied for a PD in March 2013, made #2 out of about 175. I just received the call to start background/interviews about a month and a half ago and I start their academy this Monday 9/29. 18 months for someone ranked #2 on the list seems crazy when they said they were hiring 3 when I took the test. Keep applying and find a job you enjoy doing in the mean time, your time will come eventually but it won't be overnight.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 1:51:31 AM EDT
[#14]
hr is stupid. hang in there.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:22:34 AM EDT
[#15]
I spent 18 months in the process with a local county agency.  I was #3 on the list and they were filling 4 positions.  Everything was a go and even my BI said they were just waiting for the paperwork to be signed by the Sherrif.  2 weeks later I get a phone call along with everyone else in the process that we did not get hired.  They lateralled 4 guys from the jail over.  The entire thing was a dog and pony show just to move the lateralls.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 1:10:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I spent 18 months in the process with a local county agency.  I was #3 on the list and they were filling 4 positions.  Everything was a go and even my BI said they were just waiting for the paperwork to be signed by the Sherrif.  2 weeks later I get a phone call along with everyone else in the process that we did not get hired.  They lateralled 4 guys from the jail over.  The entire thing was a dog and pony show just to move the lateralls.
View Quote

You didn't work there before the process was over so nothing was a guarantee.  

Most likely what happened is that the sheriff decided that he wanted to move some from the road instead of hiring from outside.  Maybe the ones in the jail were more qualified.  Who knows.  But, departments don't just test and do background investigations for the fun of it or for a "dog and pony" show.  The boss made a decision....sure it sucks for you but the guys in the jail were already working for the agency....makes sense that they would be moved to patrol if they have already proven themselves.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 4:01:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I finally got hired by my 6th department.  It was a long road but you just need to keep applying other places.

Quoted:

I spent 18 months in the process with a local county agency. I was #3 on the list and they were filling 4 positions. Everything was a go and even my BI said they were just waiting for the paperwork to be signed by the Sheriff. 2 weeks later I get a phone call along with everyone else in the process that we did not get hired. They lateraled 4 guys from the jail over. The entire thing was a dog and pony show just to move the laterals.

At least you got the chance to test.  My SO only holds road hirings with jail people.  They don't advertise or have outside people test (for the most part).

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 4:03:13 PM EDT
[#18]

Follow up shot.

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 7:39:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Man sure sounds like things sure are different now a days. I got conditional offers from the only 5 places I applied to back in 1995. They ranged from depts with 20 sworn to 200 sworn. Coming up on my 19th anniversary with my dept next month.

I can tell you this from being the senior FTO at my dept, an oral board member, member of our recruiting team and an academy instructor, and I'm not saying this is the case with the OP, but A LOT of applicants come into the hiring process these days thinking their poop doesn't stink and that they are "owed" the job. Again  Not saying this is the case with OP but there was a huge shift in the quality and attitude with new hires that started in about  2000ish. Oral board and background knock out about 9 out of every 10 applicants that get to that point at our dept.

J-

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:21:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Man sure sounds like things sure are different now a days. I got conditional offers from the only 5 places I applied to back in 1995. They ranged from depts with 20 sworn to 200 sworn. Coming up on my 19th anniversary with my dept next month.

I can tell you this from being the senior FTO at my dept, an oral board member, member of our recruiting team and an academy instructor, and I'm not saying this is the case with the OP, but A LOT of applicants come into the hiring process these days thinking their poop doesn't stink and that they are "owed" the job. Again  Not saying this is the case with OP but there was a huge shift in the quality and attitude with new hires that started in about  2000ish. Oral board and background knock out about 9 out of every 10 applicants that get to that point at our dept.

J-

View Quote

I just would like to say that I did NOT come to the oral board with this attitude. Like I said in the OP, I have a current job that gives good experience in dealing with pissed off people, education, department activity involvement, I am FROM the town the department serves, etc. I have 2 years on the list so I will get chances again. Maybe since they've never seen me apply before they didn't want to hire me right off the bat, and they wanted to make sure I'm still determined the next time I interview with them.

As far as being "owed" the job, I guess you could say I feel like I have earned it to an extent. I also worked VERY hard earn my spot on the list, and I personally feel that the candidates who worked harder to get a higher spot on the list should have that considered in their selection process. (If I'm willing to work that hard for a test, wouldn't one think I'd apply that same effort to my career?) I will say there is a bigger gap between my overall score and the next guy down than any other two consecutive people on the list.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 11:55:01 AM EDT
[#21]
I had a 5 month hiring process and never once did I hear anything encouraging from the department. Bottom line is regardless of how good you think you are, their may be someone better for that department.

Apply to as many local departments as possible and see who wants you.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 12:28:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I just would like to say that I did NOT come to the oral board with this attitude. Like I said in the OP, I have a current job that gives good experience in dealing with pissed off people, education, department activity involvement, I am FROM the town the department serves, etc. I have 2 years on the list so I will get chances again. Maybe since they've never seen me apply before they didn't want to hire me right off the bat, and they wanted to make sure I'm still determined the next time I interview with them.

As far as being "owed" the job, I guess you could say I feel like I have earned it to an extent. I also worked VERY hard earn my spot on the list, and I personally feel that the candidates who worked harder to get a higher spot on the list should have that considered in their selection process. (If I'm willing to work that hard for a test, wouldn't one think I'd apply that same effort to my career?) I will say there is a bigger gap between my overall score and the next guy down than any other two consecutive people on the list.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

J-

So you didn't come to the oral board with the attitude that you are owed the job....but you think you've earned it?  

There is a lot about the hiring process that you don't know about....and won't know about it either.....because they won't tell you.  You might think you know what's going on...but you really only know what they want you to know.  

You can work as hard as you want to....it's their department....not yours.  If you think you've earned anything in the hiring process, then it might never be YOUR department.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:39:29 AM EDT
[#23]

Like I said I was not specifically refering to you. But after having sat on over 100 oral boards (both for hiring and promotion) have been an FTO for more that 3/4 of my career and having trained close to 50 officers in that time I feel that I am a pretty good judge of the overall type of applicant that applies to be an officer nowadays. Again there are exceptions to the rule, you may be one of them.

I however question the fact that you know the approximate scores to the other applicants test/interviews. May be different where you applied but at our place we don't even let you know what your rank on the list is and telling you what other applicants scored would get you shit canned quick, fast and in a hurry.

Do you know if they have hired anyone else? You said that you were #2 and they hired one, but you felt passed over. You are not passed over until the list expires. You may be "#2" on the list but if they hire by the rule of 5 (or 3) once the process starts the ranking matters very little. I'd hire a veteran officer who scored a 70 on the test over a completely green person who scored a 90. Some people are bookworms or test takers but that means little on the street.

Keep trying and hopefully it will work out.

J-

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:58:42 PM EDT
[#24]
I found out that one of the selected candidates for some reason didn't make it into the academy. So I will get another shot at it. Fingers crossed.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:23:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I found out that one of the selected candidates for some reason didn't make it into the academy. So I will get another shot at it. Fingers crossed.
View Quote

As the other guys were saying, you never know what could happen, case and point. Best of luck.

One of my good friends applied 3x over the course of 2.5+yr before getting into the academy. It's not easy to get in most places, and I believe that's by design.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:33:44 AM EDT
[#26]
a lot of guys go to different states to get leo jobs, lots of guys from up north come down here.

You could have been exactly what they wanted, but if there is no room, there is no room. Heck, they could have had a position cut while you were applying.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:44:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:59:22 PM EDT
[#28]
I got hired 4 years after taking the exam, had to wait until I was old enough.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:12:41 PM EDT
[#29]
It's one of those things that you're better off not trying to understand. Apply long enough and you'll be convinced they put up pictures on the wall and throw darts towards the end.

I applied to a huge metro dept on the west coast, finished everything, passed everything. Waited so long to be "selected for hire" that I had to renew a couple of the earlier tests. Nothing ever became of it.

Long story short, a few short years later and with only one more "substantial" job to add to my resume I moved to a different state and was picked up by the first department I applied to. Literally applied the month after I moved to the state and figured that might hurt my chances. They did ask during the interview if I planned on sticking around. A stable job would be the deciding factor so clearly the answer was Yes, if you guys hire me :wink wink:

We had a handful out of state guys in the class, a few prior LEO and at least a couple that weren't. Lot's of military vets as well. You just never know but you might have to make a move.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:37:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Don't sweat it. I applied in August 2007 and they finally decided to hire in May 2014. I waited almost 7 years! and the only reason they hired was politically motivated. It'll come. Just be patient.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:38:39 PM EDT
[#31]
It was almost two years for me.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:41:05 AM EDT
[#32]
8 years ago when the economy was different they were desperate for qualified applicants.  Now we have hundreds vs the 20-30 we used to get.  
Having sat on oral boards, I can tell you your first impression makes a big difference.  In that interview you have 20-30 minutes to show you best stuff.
Wear a suit, be early, sit up straight, don't be drunk/stoned, look them in the eyes, remember names, be confident, but not cocky, and know something about the department/area (who the chief/sheriff is, boundaries, population, etc).

It's not always about who knows the most "cop stuff."  It's about who they think has a solid foundation that they can build upon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top