Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2002 5:12:42 PM EDT
Hi all I am looking for what various departments are doing for there shooting qualifications.  Looking for Handgun, Shotgun, and Rifle requirements.  Also any interesting courses you have shot in the past.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 5:18:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 6:38:06 AM EDT
[#2]
You might be interested in IALEFI’s Tactical Firearms Handbook, First and Second Editions.  Found in their store at [url]www.ialefi.com/[/url].

However, I don’t know if these books are available to non-members.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 9:37:46 AM EDT
[#3]
We shoot pistol at the 15yd, 10yd, 7yd, 5yd, and 2yd.  Mostly have to draw and shoot one or two rounds.  The 15yd is shot from the kneeling.  We have time limits on everything.  Total of 50rnds.

We shoot rifle from the 50yd.  Just 10rnds and have to keep them center mass on an IPSC target.  

We also shoot combat courses.  Most are IPSC or modified IPSC type.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 3:47:04 PM EDT
[#4]
We run a basic qual. every quarter. Our patrol guys are on 12 hrs. shifts and have a 4 hour training day every month. We get 4 of them as range days. We run a basic qual. as well as a combat pistol and a shotgun or rifle qual.

Our guys are required to qual. with the shotgun and rifle once a year as a minimum. Most get more than that.

Basic qual. is 15 rounds in 15 seconds from the 7 yard line from a holstered position. Then 15 rounds in 20 seconds from the 15 yard line from a holstered position. Then 10 rounds in 15 seconds from the 20 yard line from the holstered position. Then 5 rounds week hand standing, 5 rounds strong hand kneeling from the 25 yard line with no time limits.

70% is a qual. must have 35 rounds in the "Coke bottle" of a standard B-17 target.

I did not write this qualification and personally do not like it. I have begun to advocate a more appropriate qualification course. I would like to see all shots fired from the 15 to the 3 yard line with time limits and a 100% standard. I feel that shots taken from the 25 does not fit with what most LEO shootings have taught us.

For the months between our basic qual. we run lots of combat type of courses. We stress movement, cover and communication.

Most shot gun work is done within 20 yards and on the skeet range.

Rifle ranges are from 100 yards to contact range.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 9:21:31 PM EDT
[#5]
We shoot at the 3, 7, 15 and 25 yard lines.  All course of fire are in 3-shot strings.

At the 3 yrd line, draw and fire 3 shots center mass in 4 seconds, 2 handed shooting.  Scan, decock and reholster.  Repeat 3 more times for a total of 12 rounds.

The 7 yrd line has 2 stages.  First Draw and fire 3 shots, strong hand only, in 5 seconds.  Stay aimed in.  Fire 3 more shots, strong hand only, transfer the gun to the support hand, and fire 3 shots, support hand only, in 10 seconds.  Stay aimed in.  Fire 3 more shots center mass in 5 seconds, support hand only.  Scan, decock and holster.

Still at the 7 yard line, draw and fire 3 shots (2 to the chest and one to the head) in 7 seconds.  Come to the low ready pistol.  Fire 6 rounds (2 to the chest, 1 to the head, 2 to the chest, 1 to the head) in 12 seconds.  Come to the low ready pistol.  Fire 3 shots (2 to the chest, 1 to the head) in 5 seconds.  Scan, decock and holster.

At the 15 yrd line, draw and fire 3 shots center mass in 7 seconds.  Come to a high ready pistol.  Fire 6 rounds center mass in 12 seconds.  Come to ahigh ready pistol.  Fire 3 rounds in 5 seconds.  Scan decock and holster.

At the 25 yrd line.  Shooters assume a good prone firing position.  Fire 6 rounds prone, move to strong side barricade kneeling and fire 3 rounds, move to strong side barricade standing and fire 3 rounds.  All to be done in 60 seconds.

That is, essentially, our course of fire.  I am doing it from memory, but should stillbe right.  Some of the times may be a little off, but not by much.  The course of fire is at my desk.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 8:12:47 PM EDT
[#6]
We shoot a TQC with our PD and Sheriffs office.  We have to qualify once a year on pistol and have the option to qualify on the shotgun.  We also have at least one tactical training day too (Shoot house, steel plates, shoot don't shoot video simulator that shoots back, simunitions, etc).  Our basic TQC is the following:
six rounds kneeling transitioning to six rounds standing in 45 seconds at the 25 yrd line behind a baricade.  Move to the 15 yard line and fire two rounds from the holster in three seconds then go to ready gun and fire two more strings of two rounds in three seconds.  Then fire six rounds at the 15 yards in 12 seconds.  Move to the seven yard line.  Fire two rounds in three seconds from the holster for three strings.  Move to the five yard line.  Fire two rounds from the holster in two seconds for three strings (total six rounds). Fire six rounds in six seconds.  Then fire four rounds in six seconds strong hand only.  Finally fire four rounds weak hand only in eight seconds.  That should be a total of 50 rounds.  Min score is 189 max is 250.  Normally using a federal Q target.

Shotgun is from 15 yard line in.  One knelling and one standing at the 15 yard line in eight seconds.  Move to the seven yard line. Fire two rounds standing and one round kneeling.  Move to the fire yard line.  One standing then transition to the handgun stonghand only for two rounds, one has to be in the bottle of the federal Q target.  max score is 54 shotgun and 2 for handgun.  Sorry, can't remember the exact times for the shotgun.

There is also a slug course and a rifle course but I have not been through those yet.  I work in the FD's FM's office as an investigator
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 1:15:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
We shoot at the 3, 7, 15 and 25 yard lines.  All course of fire are in 3-shot strings.

At the 3 yrd line, draw and fire 3 shots center mass in 4 seconds, 2 handed shooting.  Scan, decock and reholster.  Repeat 3 more times for a total of 12 rounds.

The 7 yrd line has 2 stages.  First Draw and fire 3 shots, strong hand only, in 5 seconds.  Stay aimed in.  Fire 3 more shots, strong hand only, transfer the gun to the support hand, and fire 3 shots, support hand only, in 10 seconds.  Stay aimed in.  Fire 3 more shots center mass in 5 seconds, support hand only.  Scan, decock and holster.

Still at the 7 yard line, draw and fire 3 shots (2 to the chest and one to the head) in 7 seconds.  Come to the low ready pistol.  Fire 6 rounds (2 to the chest, 1 to the head, 2 to the chest, 1 to the head) in 12 seconds.  Come to the low ready pistol.  Fire 3 shots (2 to the chest, 1 to the head) in 5 seconds.  Scan, decock and holster.

At the 15 yrd line, draw and fire 3 shots center mass in 7 seconds.  Come to a high ready pistol.  Fire 6 rounds center mass in 12 seconds.  Come to ahigh ready pistol.  Fire 3 rounds in 5 seconds.  Scan decock and holster.

At the 25 yrd line.  Shooters assume a good prone firing position.  Fire 6 rounds prone, move to strong side barricade kneeling and fire 3 rounds, move to strong side barricade standing and fire 3 rounds.  All to be done in 60 seconds.

That is, essentially, our course of fire.  I am doing it from memory, but should stillbe right.  Some of the times may be a little off, but not by much.  The course of fire is at my desk.
View Quote

Sounds familiar [:d]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top