Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2002 11:17:49 AM EDT
I'm volunteering with the local Sheriff's Dept, and took the psych exam this morning.  Wow, I have a headache.  Does everyone usually feel this way when you get done?

Edit:  And I haven't got the foggiest idea if I passed or not!
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 11:31:35 AM EDT
[#1]
It's been a about 5 years since I took mine but yes it gave me a headache too.  

It lasted about 6 hours and they still can't prove I was crazy!
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 1:32:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 1:45:36 PM EDT
[#3]
About the only question I remember is:

Do you sometimes look into a dark corner and see someone staring at you and then look again and there is nothing there?

That one creeped me out...  Who answers yes to that?  I guess someone who doesn't pass the test, huh?
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 2:21:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll be doing the same here in AZ soon!  I have been wondering what that part was like!
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 2:26:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I think I answered about 500 questions.  It was a ton of stuff.  Took over 3 hours.  
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 2:52:11 PM EDT
[#6]
What other questions do they ask? What was the room like? How about if they let you have something to drink and such
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 3:35:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Just the conference room in the office.  I could visit the head or get food if I wanted too.  It's not like you can cheat on the thing.  "Could I borrow your personality while I take this test?"  Some of the questions were way out there.  Now remember, this was a sheriff's test.  I didn't have to see a shrink, Like the local police dept does.  They just send it off for grading, I guess.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 3:46:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I took this test a couple weeks ago. It was over 1000 questions, many of them repeated and worded differently. This was followed by a session with the psychologist the next day to review your questions and basically interview you. They asked if I would be able to shoot someone if the situation neede it, asked me about all my lifestyle habits and such. I guess I passed since I was accepted into the academy. I start In 4  weeks!
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 1:57:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Yep, when I took mine about five years ago there were 6 different tests.  I added it up and it was close to 1400 questions.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 6:33:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Took my test on Dec 17. 5 hours starting at 8 AM followed by 50 minute interview with the shrink. fun fun fun. asked me about the answers that stood out from the 600+ questions and don't forget the timed 12 minute IQ test!.
still don't know my score..
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 6:52:15 PM EDT
[#11]
So which questions are the "trick" questions?
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 6:56:47 PM EDT
[#12]
I have no idea which questions were the trick questions.  I think I did a brain dump after I got out.  I think all the questions are related on the tests..  There were 4 seperate tests though.  The first was IQ.  The second was situations, agree with, no opinion or disagree and the third and forth tests were really odd.  Word association and statements and choose the word you think goes best with the statement.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 7:20:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

and the third and forth tests were really odd.  Word association and statements and choose the word you think goes best with the statement.
View Quote

And I'll bet that it was in these sections that the shrinks think your "true" personality comes out.

I'm not a psychiatrist or psychologist, but I'd be willing to be that they find out more about you through these word associations than the "agree/disagree/no opinion" questions.  During the word associations you can't try to give them the "right" answer.

I'd like to hear what some people in the know have to say about this.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 8:59:29 PM EDT
[#14]
The first question should be:

"are you a member of AR15.com?"

If you answer yes, then you're fucking out of there, man!
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 9:13:49 PM EDT
[#15]
NO lie: actual question was :how many "assault type rifles eg. ar-15, ak-47,uzi, do you own?
1 ,2, more than three?

oooooops
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 10:39:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Ah yes, the lovely psych test.  I took one for a local department and was told that I didn't meet their "profile."  When I asked WTF that meant, they said, "Sorry, we can't tell you."  (I have since gone on to another department that hasn't yet figured out that I'm psychotic ;)).

I did some research on one of the tests given to me.  It was called the "Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory," or MMPI to its close friends, and came out sometime in the 1940's, IIRC.  It has 566 mind-numbing, utterly irrelevant questions.  Only the first 400 count; the rest are just fluff.  There are four things they graph on the test, but I can only remember "Lie" and "Validity."

Some of the gems they ask include, "Evil spirits possess me at times," and, "I think I would like to do the work of a florist."  One of the questions I still haven't figured out is, "I like to play Drop-the-Handkerchief."  I'm assuming it's some kind of 40's game or reference, or else it's something convicts play in the state prison shower....

I've been told by another deputy (who was a background investigator before going back to patrol) that after 10 years on the job, almost all cops fail the same test.  I guess something about this jobs tends to make us a little warped...;)

Anyway, psych tests blow.  They are about as fun as jogging home after your own vasectomy.

Link Posted: 1/4/2003 5:15:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Ours was a 500 question test...when I finished and walked up to hand in my test the intercom in the doctor's office paged someone and I looked around with a puzzled look on my face and asked the nurse if I could change a few of my answers....she was not amused.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top