Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2002 8:22:15 PM EDT
I was wondering if anyone knows any states that will accept Ohio's police academy for lateral transfers.  I know that there will be some training needed to get up to speed on that state's laws.  The only state that I know accepts Ohio's academy cert. is Virginia.

Thanks for any input
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 9:59:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Kansas has reciprocity depending on the hours of your accademy.  I know the Missouri 470hr accademy is allowing me to do reciprocity.
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 10:02:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 10:05:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Come on over to the Illinois State Police Academy.  No reciprocity, but I guarantee you'll just LOVE our intense, 26 week, Academy training course, based on the Marine Corps bootcamp...

[}:D]

Integrity, Service, and Pride
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 1:14:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 6:25:26 AM EDT
[#5]
FLA does it like this, 1st,locate a "Selection Center" (SC) and send them all your accdy tng (official transcript), a signed letter on Dept letter head stating you have 1+ years of Full-time Paid LE experience and any college transcripts.  This will cost about $150.00/ $450.00 depending upon which Selection Center you choose.  I went with Sante Fe Community College in Gainesvill, Fl. ($150.00 and really helpful).  A list of Selection Centers can be found on the Florida Department of Law Enforcements (FDLE) web site.

The S/C are the only "reviewing" authorities as FDLE will not do any reviews.  The S/Cwill make a "recommendation" to FDLE as to whether or not you have the required tng to be granted an "exemption" from the "Basic Academy" training requirement, (CJSTC Form 75).

If granted the exemption, you then attened a "Comparative Compliance Coures for Out-of State/Federal Officers" which is two weeks (90 hours).  Here you will have to pass hands on testing in firearms, defensive tactics, driving, and first aid. Mine cost me about $550.00, books included.  The course is only offered by a few authorized schools/training facilities.

Once you pass the course, you then go to Tallahassee for the 350 question State exam and must pass with 80% or better, the test is currently $100.00.

Granted that you 1) got an exemption, 2) pass the Compliance Course, and 3) pass the State exam, you then have to get hired by an agency as, according to FDLE, you are still not "certified" until employed by an agency.  I guess, technically, you derive certification through "employement" rather than passing a course, as is here in SC.  

I was able to secure an exemption and I am scheduled to attn class 27 Jan 03 to 7 Feb 03.  I have family in Fl I will stay with so thats keeping the cost down.  Come hell or high water, I plan on getting back home to Florida!!!

ANYONE NEED A GOOD OFFICER IN THE LAKE COUNTY, FL AREA??

Here in SC, most out of state officers only need a three week "legals" course.  It's quite easy to transfer to SC.

Good Luck!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top