Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/8/2002 12:26:29 PM EDT
federal law enforcement officers carrying concealed off duty?  I've read conflicting arguments, yes/no/depends on dept.  

Does anyone know what the actual law(s) is/are and if it is governed by agency, where does one go to find out about each agency?

Anyone...anyone...anyone...

[b][red][i]Libertas an Mortis!![/b][/red][/i]
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 1:04:48 PM EDT
[#1]
It depends on your agency.  If you want specifics, go to a specific agency to find out.

For example, a lot of OIGs must be deputized to carry and, in some cases, that is ONLY while on duty.

Link Posted: 12/9/2002 12:55:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Like switchback said, each agency may have different policies.

It will also depend on your position in the agency.

Do you a specific agency you are questioning?

You will find differnt firearms policies at different federal agecnies.

For example the US Park Police may be able to carry off duty in other jurisdictions.

Health and Human Services Special Agents are deputized as Special Deputy US Marshals and only allowed on duty carry typically, unless otherwise warranted and approved.

You'll find most 1811s or Special Agent types from the major agencies such as the US Marshals Service, US Secret Service, FBI, DEA, ATF, US Customs agents, etc are able to and encouraged to carry off duty.

Link Posted: 12/10/2002 1:08:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys!  The actual agency I'm interested in is the Border Patrol. I just found out that I'll be going to their academy in the next two months or so.  I'm sure I'll find out there but I was just curious.

Link Posted: 12/10/2002 11:28:52 AM EDT
[#4]
All the BP guys here say they can carry anywhere they want. They also fly armed most of the time, without hassles.
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 12:47:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies!

Link Posted: 12/11/2002 11:27:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Thier duty weapon is the Beretta DAO 96 .40 cal. I did meet a couple of thier fireamrs instructors at a class and one had a Glock and one had a HK. They were carrying off duty miles from thier posts. I'll ask a couple former USBP guys I work with for the details.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 10:58:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Anyone know the FBI's policy on this?
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 2:00:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 2:25:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Can they carry backup/secondary firearms? I know they carry a Glock (maybe a Sig in the future)and was wondering if I can carry a secondary piece.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 6:21:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Paul,

That, again, depends on agency policy.  I, for example, can carry anything that I have qualified with. For example I can carry my primary weapon(s) anytime, back-up/off-duty weapons while (you guessed it) off duty and backup to primary while on duty.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 6:32:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I guess I have to find an FBI agent to get the exact specs......any here? ;)
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 2:56:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Not a fed, but I talk with the feds pretty frequently. They are usually issued weapons and have to maintain their issued weapon.

FBI-I think that new agents are still getting Glock 23s, but older agents have .38s. They can purchase their own weapons and qualify on them, within reason; I think most major manufacturers, and calibers limited to 9mm, 10mm, .40 and .45. They also get issued 870s and/or MP-5/10s (mostly with Safe-Semi-2 shot burst trigger groups).

ATF-I think pretty similar to ATF. Lots of Glocks, but I have seen all kinds of weapons.

Secret Service-All are issued the Sig P226, though I have seen one recent Agent carrying a P229 (didn't ask what caliber). I think that they are limited to issued weapons.

DEA-Issued weapons but each class gets a different kind so that Agents who are doing UC stuff won't be IDed by what weapon they are carrying. I think they are also allowed to purchase whatever they want, within reason, like the FBI.

Customs-I think Glocks, but I am not really sure.

Marshalls-I think they can carry what they want. They all seem to have been issued seriously cutdown 870s, though, which they all seem to be itching to use on some dangerous fugitive.

INS-I don't remeber these guys bothering to carry weapon; they usually let us locals handle all of the hands-on stuff. One got shot up with a nailgun around here a little while back.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 4:33:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 10:05:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Used to be even a Federal dog-catcher could carry on U.S. flights. Not sure how 9/11 affected that.....

(John Ross has a few comments on it in Unintended Consequences.)

Scott

Link Posted: 12/30/2002 10:09:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
1) MP-5/10s (mostly with Safe-Semi-2 shot burst trigger groups).

2) Customs-I think Glocks, but I am not really sure.
View Quote

1) I think some FBI MP5s/MP10s actually have the Safe-Semi selector (only). At least for training purposes.....

2) You are correct, Sir.....

Scott

Link Posted: 12/30/2002 11:35:28 AM EDT
[#16]
I've only handled one of their MP5/10s; they are all too busy wanting to look at my issued M4.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 7:39:37 AM EDT
[#17]
I hate to tell you this. But INS is the largest federal law agency with around 20,000 sworn. They include Border Patrol, INS agents and detention officers. I do not work for INS, I just happen to know the guys in their firearms technology unit that tests guns and ammo more thoroughly than any other agency, period. They issue Beretta 96D Brigadier .40 Cal pistols (my agency uses 92D Brigadiers in 9mm and don't ask my opinion cause my wife hates when I use bad language)and H&K USP LEM (40's) compacts, custom made Border patrol model Remington 870's and M4's.
The FBI, the second largest federal agency issues Glock 23's and did issue 22's. The SWAT guys are carrying .45's made I beleive by Springfield Armory. The HRT is still carrying the Les Baer cutom 1911 guns.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 4:47:02 PM EDT
[#18]
As was said before, different agencies have different carry policies.   As I understand it, INS and Border Patrol can carry 24/7, but it has to be their duty weapon which means trying to conceal a full size Beretta.  Some agencies like Customs can carry any weapon they choose off duty, but if they shoot someone, the Department of Treasury does not have to represent them in court if they used any weapon other than their issued sidearm.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top