Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/23/2002 3:00:47 PM EDT
I am going to volunteer for the local county reserves and have a meeting in a few weeks.  It is a group thing with about 28 people there, with individual interviews.  I believe they are going to choose 6-8 people to fill the positions.  The positions are voluntary with no pay.

I plan on being myself and being honest.  I like working with people, and think it would be very interesting.

Any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 12:59:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you sure you want to do this????????????

Link Posted: 10/27/2002 7:06:06 AM EDT
[#2]
You got it. Honesty and very forward and sincere in your answers.

Are you sure you want to do this?
It can be a very rewarding choice but understand you will ALWAYS get the shit end of the stick.
If doing for your community is more important than that. GO FOR IT. You'll not be disappointed.
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 7:28:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Tell them you hate minorities and that your taking the position in hopes of beating on them!
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 8:19:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, we are having an orientation session and one on one interview in a week.  We'll get more info on what is involved.  I have a feeling it will be lots of directing traffic at events, helping out on stake-outs, helping out in the new jail and other excitement.  Someones got to help out....and I've got the time and ability to do it, so yes I'm pretty sure I want to do it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 9:16:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Make sure you are a registered voter with the correct party.
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 10:22:09 AM EDT
[#6]
ND doesn't have voter registration.  We do it right up here!  [:D]
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 12:13:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Good for you in wanting to join the reserves!I started my career by joining the reserves.
Just be honest and straight forward in your answers.
Contrary to belief I doubt the reserves get the shit calls. I know ours don't. You WILL get the low priority calls. Take them in stride. Reserves are a vital part of any dept. And they do it with no pay!! Good Luck.
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 6:58:57 PM EDT
[#8]

You want to be an unpaid reserve! Some people will call you nuts, asking why don't you just go regular. [stick] Many regular deputies started out as reserves. Many reserve deputies started as regular deputies but had to change jobs to support their families.
I can tell you it can be one of the most rewarding experiences you can have. You get to give back to your community. I have spent 26 years as a reserve deputy here in Texas. We are trained to the same standards as any other law enforcement officer in the state.
In your interview be yourself, be honest to all questions put to you. But do not be afraid to express yourself and you might ask the persons interviewing you to give you as much insight into the what they expect of you.

Bluedevil [devil]
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 8:21:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, had the interview tonight.  Just 5 questions....  8 people did the interview and one interviewee.

We shall see what happens in the next week.

The big reason for me being in the reserve is because I've always wanted to do some volunteer work, but didn't have the time.  Now I am making the time and really think this could be a direct benefit to the comunity.

I don't want to be full time cuz it would be a huge pay cut...  [:D]
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 5:43:58 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a Reserve who rides with me once or twice a month, the guy is good to go and like you if he went full time he'd take a HUGE pay cut...he's married with kids, so, so much for sacrificing money...in my county we're all 'one man' units, myself, on a good night, there are 3 of us with 180 square miles to patrol...good company can never be beat, I've worked with several other Reserves and have no bitch about them but understand this could be an exception to the rule....Good Luck to you...and as far as the money goes for full time, if I wasn't retired military I'd be pretty hard pressed to make it on strictly a deputies salary...and I don't like 'off duty gigs' much...
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 8:34:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, I made it through the first interview and received a letter yesterday that I am invited back for an in-depth interview in two weeks.  I assume the in-depth interview will be situational, and lots of other stuff.  The plan is to be myself and let them know why I wanna do this for free...  Any more advice would be appreciated, cause you guys and gals are the best (blatant sucking up never hurts [:D]).

Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top