Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2002 7:33:28 PM EDT
I'm currently looking for the news on a web site to post, but I've just heard it on WABC's Eywitness News that the NYPD is recalling thousands of the issued vest because they don't work.
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 10:16:41 AM EDT
[#1]
If you find something about the vests I would lilke to read it.  I came home from my shift last night at 0200 hours and my wife said that she heard something on the news about my vest not working.  I got on the net this morning trying to find something, but have been unable too.  Looks like my vest doesn't apply, because it is made by Second Chance, but it made me concerned.
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 1:32:07 PM EDT
[#2]
NYPD is recalling about 6000 Pointblank vest. Apparently the vest is stopping 5 out of 6 357mag rounds. I saw one of their vests used in testing and it stopped 4 out of six. DHB the parent company of Point Blank is being accused of cutting corners in the manufacturing of their vest to save money. The CEO's are being accused of locking out qualified quality workers, mistreating employees and not using specified materials in order to cut cost and add profit. Sounds like another Enron type management plan. Point blank makes the interceptor vest that our troops are wearing now. Something of interest DHB industries stock collapsed yesterday, I guess several people knew what was happening at Pointblank.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 4:14:43 PM EDT
[#3]
found it:

[url=http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/news/WABC_100202_vests.html]NYPD Taking Action To Protect Cops After Some Bulletproof Vests Found To Be Inadequate[/url]
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 8:17:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the link.  Looks like the department is not going to take any chances and replace any that may even be questionable.  At least the department is looking after it's people.

[>]:)]
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 12:57:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Looking out for its people?  Yeah, right!!!

Right now, there are 6,000 vests that are thought to be defective.  They are sitting on the rest because who are they going to put on patrol with the 2 month turnaround time for a new vest?  Right now in just my precinct there are 17 guys who are restricted duty because they have defective vests.

What would happen if that 6,000 number jumped to 12,000?  maybe more.  The number will go up.  Hopefully no one will die in the meantime.

Steven
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 6:47:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 4:04:45 PM EDT
[#7]
You hide behind the Sergeant?
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 12:25:08 PM EDT
[#8]
First of all, I try my best to NOT be in a situation where Im going to need my vest.  Tactics, Tactics and more Tactics!!!  I dont trust this vest, because everything that the NYPD buys is from the lowest bidder, hence the company cutting corners and putting MY ass in danger.  Whats up Ray?  Give me a call when you get up tonight

Steven
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 7:34:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top