Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2002 6:16:41 PM EDT
Gents, since I'm going to be buying body armor in the next few weeks I thought I'd come here, to the folks who wear it everyday, for some advice.

I'm looking for something I can conceal tastefully under a suit but will get the job done. Comfort would be nice too. What have you had good results with, and what have you wished you'd never heard of? Name brands, model names, NIJ levels, sources, links, etc. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 9:48:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I have been wearing armor for over 15 years.
This new zylon material is incredible.I looked in the galls catalog and 2nd chance is making the thinnest lightest vest. I wear one every day and it is the best I have worn.It is light
thin and more comfortable than any vest Ihave ever worn.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 4:05:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Believe this is what Okie is refering to: [url]http://www.pointblankarmor.com/products/legacy_ballistics.asp[/url]

Mike

PS - better to have it and not need it that the other way around, personally hope ya never need it, but IMHO (and I'm not an LEO) the brand above makes the finest, lightest yet strongest vests.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 8:14:34 PM EDT
[#3]
If you want to have it completely, undetectably concealed under a suit and tie, go with either:

1) Second Chance Ultima in Level 2A or 2
http://www.secondchance.com/prod.asp?action=ballistic&prodID=5

2) American Body Armor Xtreme ZX in Level 2A or 2.
http://www.xtremearmor.com/

Both are made of Zylon and are literally paper thin.  There is NOTHING else that comes close in terms of thinness.    
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 7:46:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I've had a second chance "tri-flex" for a little over a year.  Best vest I've had yet.  It's in level II.  If you aren't going to wear it everyday for several hours at a time, I would reccommend a second chance "sc229" in IIA.  Just my opinion.  Hope it helps.
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 8:02:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quite simply, you buy the "best" that you can afford. I'd go with a latest generation(THINNER/LIGHTER), level II vest from one of the well known makers. My NYPD issue vest is a Point Blank, and my alternate vest is a Safariland...and I can't wait to replace them(out of my own pocket) ASAP!
Link Posted: 8/17/2002 7:48:26 AM EDT
[#6]
I went with the Second Chance Monarch in level IIIa. I got a white six-point adjustable carrier with tails. Thanks for your help, gents.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top