Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2002 9:33:44 AM EDT
I've been told that if you are a traveling salesman in the state of Texas that you can legally carry concealed without a permit.

Anyone know about this?
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 10:11:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes and no...

In Penal Code 46.15, there is an exception to prosecution for PC 46.02 (Unlawful Carrying of Weapons) if the person is "traveling" (not just traveling salesmen). Traveling is not defined in the Penal Code, so it is left up to the courts to define it. Generally, case law has held that to be considered "traveling," one needs to cross at least two county lines and have an overnight stay. Generally. Courts have used looser and more restrictive standards for is legitimately considered "traveling." Also, local County Attorneys may have a stricter local standard, or may simply decline to prosecute becuase the whole issue is so ambiguous. Basically what I am saying is that the whole thing is a mess and there is no straight answer to your question.

Your best bet is to either carry a long gun in your vehicle (no restrictions) or get a CHL. Since Texas is a "shall-issue" CHL state, if you want to avoid any unecssary entanglements, I would just go the CHL route.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 10:25:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Natez,

Thanks for the info.

I have the paper work for CHL, just not the funds right now.

Long gun won't fit in my laptop bag.

I travel all over TX. and LA. and go to construction sites on a regular bases at 2:00 am for concrete pours.

Sometimes I am the only guy on site that speaks English, so ----- anyway.

Thanks again for the info.

Russell

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top