Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2002 9:21:35 AM EDT
I switched from the Safariland 6280 SLS to the Bianchi 97A Grabber because the hood guard on the SLS was starting to wear a hole in my uniform shirt (I don't want to buy a new $70 shirt everytime I get a hole).  I just switched back to the SLS because the Grabber seemed all too easy for a gun takeaway (the SLS, along with training has saved my butt before from gun grabs).  

I know no holster is completely take away proof, but some models are just more resistant than others.  Yes, holster choice is very personal, but I thought I'd get some input from others.  Here are some questions:

1. Opinions on Bianchi's Pinch Retention Device...  gimmick?  or just an alternative to a tension screw?

2. Opinions on the SLS and the Grabber (or similar model with PRD)?

Thanks in advance.

PS - No one on my department after '96 is allowed to carry the SSIII.  People weren't practicing and couldn't qualify with it so they just banned it for everyone.  Everyone who already qualified before '96 is grandfather'd.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 12:15:12 PM EDT
[#1]
What is your duty handgun?
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 1:30:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the Safariland 295 for my Glock 21 lev.II it has a new design so you can slip your belt through. the old model had two screws on the top which could were holes through your shirt as well. Cost of holster about $130.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 2:47:19 PM EDT
[#3]
1. I carry a Sig Pro 2009.  

2. The two screws on the top of the belt mount aren't a factor because they're screwed all the way down to where they're flush with the mount.  

I tried the belt adapter that lowers the holster like 2" but didn't like it because it makes sitting down uncomfortable and sticks the gun out too far.  The Safariland catalog doesn't list the 6285 (1.5" lower ride) for the Sig Pro.  
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 3:12:49 PM EDT
[#4]
When I worked, I utilized a Safariland 2955 (The 295 a little lower down).

In the Armored Car business, you're up and down and up and down a hundred times a day.  The rig I wore had to be snatch-resistant (since I only had one hand free for weapon retention techniques, my other hand being in use carrying often-heavy cargo), high up enough not to catch on my seatbelt, low enough not to wear on my shirt when my body armor rode up (which it always did), and most of all, had to have an unlocking draw that was fast enough for me.

I couldn't get the hang of the Safariland SSIII;  I'm sure some guys can get their weapons out of their rigs quickly, but I was unsatisfied with the method of unlocking to draw.  When an Armored guy needs his gun, he needs it NOW, not when it's convenient for the holster to release it.

My previous rig had been for a revolver (A Tex Shoemaker & Sons rig which I still have) which is a front unlocker, very very fast.  The 2955 imitated the thumb break position and method of draw of a holster I'd already grown familiar with.  So that was my natural choice.

I did develop a habit of sitting a little bit sideways so that my rig did not conflict with my seatbelt...but all in all the 2955 fit my needs optimally.

I used a Glock 17.

Panz
[bounce]
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 4:58:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I use the SS070 and like it alot. My partner uses the SLS holster, and is always inadvertantly rotating the locking hood down  while in the car, etc. I guess his arm is resting on the hood and rotating it. As far as lowering the holster, I took the holster body off the belt loop on my SS070 and redrilled the three holes that attach the two, thus lowering the holster a bit. Haven't looked at the back of the SLS to see if it's the same. I noticed Safariland is using a new type belt loop made of plastic instead of the style I have that is the same material as the holster.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 5:12:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I think the pinch is just a tension screw, at least in application. I currently use an SSIII for duty and an SLS for tac. I've ordered a SLS for duty and am patiently waiting. What really sold me on the SLS was the ease of operation and the fact that when training another Deputy was criticising my choice and attempted to disarm me(unloaded weapon for training purposes), Of course the harder he pulled the tighter the hood became. That made an impression on me as what he did is exactly what a person trying to disarm me would do, pull harder.

I don't have a problem with the SSIII as I have young children so I lock up my duty weapon at the end of each shift, forcing me to draw and reholster the weapon many times a week. I just thought that it would make sense to have the same types of holsters for both rigs and I think that in some ways the SLS is superior to the SSIII.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 6:10:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Safariland 295 best holster i've ever carried the draw is fast and natural to me. I think the level III is a bit much. we are issued the sls didnt like it so i bought my 295 for 80 bucks.

tnrifleman.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 7:45:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I have worn the Safariland 070 (SSIII) level 3 holster for about 12 years. I does not ride up too high, nor too low like Bianchi holsters do. (at least for me)
It is very secure, and if you practice enough to get muscle memory, it is fast. At Glock transition course, I was outdrawing folks with Safariland 295, and G&G Phoenix holsters by PACT timer.
I have never had the 070 damage a shirt. Wipe it down with some matte Armorall once in a while and it will keep it's looks and be more durable.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 8:37:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Unfortunately, my department does not authorize the 295 or the 070 (anymore at least).  Most of the holsters on the list are the straight draw thumb break with tensioning screw type.  The only retention holsters authorized are the Don Hume break front, G&G Astro (also break front) and the Safariland SLS.  I don't really consider the Bianchi Grabber a retention holster as the PRD doesn't really do anything (the gun just clicks in and out, please educate me if I don't understand it).  The most common holster on the department is the Safariland Top Gun (thumb break w/ tension screw).  

Safariland just released a hybrid of the 295 and 6280.  Hopefully that'll be authorized so I can switch to that (and not have to use the hood guard).  The SLS without the hood guard opens too easily IMO.  

So, your opinions on the PRD and SLS?
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 9:00:02 PM EDT
[#10]
My department pretty much lets us carry any holster we want within reason.  I have carried an SLS for the last 4 years.  I have carried the issue Smith 9, HK .45, and my current Smith .45 in the SLS.  The only problems I have had with the SLS have been the hood rotating forward with the HK and the 4506 being a really long gun to try and draw out of that fit of holster.  The hood would open on the HK because as I sat down my body armor would press down on the button and rotate it forward.  I continually checked the hood with my arm.  I got one of the 2.5 in extenders for the 4506 and that helped.  I can pretty much beat everyone out of the leather which makes me feel a whole lot better out on the street.  I have been looking for the plastic belt loop that has a 1.5 in drop so that my gun isn't hanging so low but I have had no luck.  I still would not trade it for any holster out there.  Now about a half dozen copper have been joining me in using an SLS.  It only took them 4 years.
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 5:57:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Wear a patch of cloth on your shirt where the hole occurs. Tailors can do this to make it look nice if they have the same material for the patch.

This way you can simultaneously keep the superior SLS holster and your shirts nice.
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 7:50:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Since you can't wear the 070, Safariland has a new holster out that might make the cut. The new Raptor series. It comes with a removable SLS device. It can be configured into different levels, up to a level IV. It should ride like the 070, a mid ride so it won't wear on your shirt.
It really sounds like you need to do some basic research. You make it sound logical, and show the current number of officers killed with their own firearms. You then point out the current trend in litigation, failure to train/equip. If your department is only allowing inferior safety devices to be worn on duty, they are setting themselves up. Not only to get someone killed/injured needlessly, but sued.
If they are not allowing the state of the art in officer safety devices, you might point out to them, with tact, that they are setting themselves up.
Until then, you need to be practicing holster retention. Good luck, been there. We were issued the Top Gun when we went to the Beretta 92D because they were $3.00 cheaper than the 070!
When I worked out the trade for Glock 22/23, I made damn sure I got to order the 070 for it.
It's a matter of penny proud, and pound foolish.    
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 10:20:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Stg44,

Believe me, I've tried to go through the steps and suggest new gear to the "brass."  I've been shot down too many times already.  Too many officers on our department are not wearing their rear panel of their vest cuz it's "too hot."  I proposed a vest that would be cool enough and light enough (like all the new vests out) that those officers would wear both panels.  I got shot down cuz it was "too thin" and because they would have to change distributors.  

At least I got them to approve the hood guard for the SLS holster.  I'm aware of the new raptor series and think that it's an excellent system.  However, due to the look of the holster, it'll never be approved on our department.  The "brass" is too set in their ways.  

Link Posted: 7/30/2002 6:49:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Can't qualify with the safariland level III!!!!!!!!!???????. maybe it's time to keep the good holster and ditch the bad shooters/instructors!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top