Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2012 9:07:50 AM EDT
Just like it says.  Assisted with a traffic stop on a drug suspect.  Details: 3 am, late model minivan, all rear seats removed, air compressor bolted to the floor behind pass seat, and a class III night vision device.  Of course says he picked it up at the flea market, ie swap meet for you non southern folk. although i recognized it as a class III device.  These jokers cant have guns, or ammo, but I swore I read something once about class III night vision one time as well.  Just thought I'd ask, In case someone knew something.  

dont care about punk u a shun, so dont bother.

Any help much app.
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 9:26:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Never heard of such a thing... interested in what others add to this...
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 9:33:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Also never heard of that.

Dollars to donuts that the NVG's are stolen.
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 9:51:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Ah, what's a Class III Night Vision Device.. like a PVS14? or a PVS7?
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 10:14:35 AM EDT
[#4]
OP do you mean gen 3 night vision? I have never heard of class 3 NVG. I bet its stolen .mil property. But I have never heard that felons can't own NVG, only armor...
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 10:22:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Would class 3 nv be a full auto version of regular nv?
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 10:39:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I thought this too but did not want to be a smart ass! I lol'd when i saw it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 12:08:16 PM EDT
[#7]
AFAIK, no restrictions on who can and can't own NVGs.

And you probably mean Gen3 NVGs, not class III.
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 4:16:32 PM EDT
[#8]
You might be thinking of the ITAR restriction. Night vision can not be exported, and as I understand it from Chris at Adams Industries, foreign nationals here in the US may not posses them (even those here legally).
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 3:14:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Ha I meant gen 3. Sorry that's what 10 hr shifts plus OT will do to ya. It was a newer gen 3 nv monocular. Not mil property. Just pricey for a know felon who ain't got no money if you know what I mean. Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 3:16:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought this too but did not want to be a smart ass! I lol'd when i saw it.

Nah it's   the 3 round burst one. Lol
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 6:07:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Ha I meant gen 3. Sorry that's what 10 hr shifts plus OT will do to ya. It was a newer gen 3 nv monocular. Not mil property. Just pricey for a know felon who ain't got no money if you know what I mean. Thanks for the help.

Anything to case a joint and look for LEO while perp'ing around.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 9:52:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 10:27:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anything to case a joint and look for LEO while perp'ing around.

Being able to run your tools off the air compressor, where the sound is shielded inside the van, and not expose any visible light because you have some  badass night vision?  That's probably worth a few bucks to some criminals.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 10:55:17 AM EDT
[#14]
The van is probably on airbags to handle the extra weight of running  dope. The night vision is to run in the dark without being spotted. The air compressor is for the airbags

Honestly i would run that story by the DEA just so they have a heads up.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 12:12:12 PM EDT
[#15]
OP, IM me if you're anywhere near McAllen.  
-SS
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 4:50:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The van is probably on airbags to handle the extra weight of running  dope. The night vision is to run in the dark without being spotted. The air compressor is for the airbags

Your guess on the air compressor for the air shocks is probably spot on.  That sounds like any of the many load vehicle setups around here.  OP,  if you work near the border, I would forward the info on the subjects including pictures of them and any tattoos, and vehicle information to the Border Patrol.  Ask for their intelligence officer or unit because they'll definitely be interested in the NVG aspect.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 4:53:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Maybe you could get a really friendly DA to categorize them as "burglary tools"?

I wouldn't want to set that precedent just to put one guy away. Too much collateral damage for law-abiding guys who own NODS
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 5:09:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 10:53:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Contact EPIC. Pass it along.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 3:39:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your guess on the air compressor for the air shocks is probably spot on.  That sounds like any of the many load vehicle setups around here.  OP,  if you work near the border, I would forward the info on the subjects including pictures of them and any tattoos, and vehicle information to the Border Patrol.  Ask for their intelligence officer or unit because they'll definitely be interested in the NVG aspect.

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner.  Yeah you're pretty spot on to what I did.  I just don't like giving out too many details on an open forum.  and Just so you know "they" responded, took pics of everything ran checks etc, it all happened.  We just kindly let him know that if he even sneezes the wrong way we're bringing the hammer.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 3:41:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Maybe you could get a really friendly DA to categorize them as "burglary tools"?

Double Negative!!!!!  Friendly and DA

Link Posted: 3/27/2012 10:17:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yeah... and a flying monkey to follow you around that pees coffee and poops donuts.

I want one!  I'd name him Russell!  Best partner, EVER
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 10:28:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah... and a flying monkey to follow you around that pees coffee and poops donuts.

'Right turn, Clyde...'
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 11:58:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

'Right turn, Clyde...'

i've heard that before, but i'm too young to know what its from...
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 12:17:29 PM EDT
[#25]

Any Which Way But Loose is a truck driving movie starring Clint Eastwood. He has a pet orangutan that rides with him everywhere they go. He's trained the monkey to hang his arm out the window on the passenger side and give hand and arm signals like a motorcyclist when they're making turns. Later in the movie, a biker is riding up next to him trying to fuck with Clint. Clint looks at the monkey and says, 'Right turn, Clyde'. The monkey sticks his arm straight out the window, punching the biker in the face.

Classic
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 12:27:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Felon with a compressor in a Van with Gen III Night Vision.... lets use that Police academy education you got and put two and two together....

The compressor is for the airbags the van is on to help it support heavy objects while running on "less than desirable" road conditions and the NV is for being able to see while running dark to reduce chances of getting spotted. Yet, the only thing you are worried about is if a felon can legally posses Gen III NV??

Wonder what his prior conviction is for?

Link Posted: 3/27/2012 5:30:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Felon with a compressor in a Van with Gen III Night Vision.... lets use that Police academy education you got and put two and two together....

The compressor is for the airbags the van is on to help it support heavy objects while running on "less than desirable" road conditions and the NV is for being able to see while running dark to reduce chances of getting spotted. Yet, the only thing you are worried about is if a felon can legally posses Gen III NV??

He's off the streets already.  Just don't like to post any stuff about active cases and such.  He aint getting the van back, and everything else that was in it.   His prior was poss cs pg1.  Thats all im putting out for now.  I just swore I had heard about night vision and felons somewhere in my career.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 6:53:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's off the streets already.  Just don't like to post any stuff about active cases and such.  He aint getting the van back, and everything else that was in it.   His prior was poss cs pg1.  Thats all im putting out for now.  I just swore I had heard about night vision and felons somewhere in my career.

I just now saw you were in Texas? What parts of Texas... South, east, north west?
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 8:21:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just now saw you were in Texas? What parts of Texas... South, east, north west?

The South
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 3:25:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Run the numbers and see if they are stolen and arrest him for criminal poss of stolen property.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 3:34:45 PM EDT
[#31]
This topic would be better in the LEO only forum.  

I'd report this vehicle and the setup to some other folks.  Nothing in TX PC that says NV is restricted that I am aware of.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top