Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2002 4:51:29 PM EDT
In case you didn't already hear about this incident,  a King County Sheriffs Deputy (Seattle Area) was shot and killed yesterday (Sat. June 22), [u]WITH HIS OWN GUN.[/U]

Apparently, the officer responded to a "naked man in the street" call (PCP ???) who was acting erratically.  Upon contacting the naked man, the officer hosed him down with OC, but a scuffle broke out, allowing the naked man to grab the Deputy's Glock 22.  After discovering that the man had his gun,  the Deputy began running away, but he was shot in the back 3 times.  Once on the ground, the naked man unloaded the magazine on the officer, killing him.  Hours later, the naked man turned himself in.

[b]Keep practicing your handgun retention skills ya'll!![/b]

Stay safe.

Link Posted: 6/23/2002 7:12:33 PM EDT
[#1]
The stats on officers killed with their own weapons are going down, and have been for awhile, but even one is too many.

This is why back-ups should not only be allowed, but highly encouraged. Even though I am "plainclothes" anymore, if I am doing anything out of the ordinary, I carry a back-up.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 8:26:01 AM EDT
[#2]

any update on weather the officer was wearing body armor or not? Do the Sheriffs ride with partners? Did he request additional units before approaching the emotionally disturbed person(EDP)?
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 9:15:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
any update on weather the officer was wearing body armor or not? Do the Sheriffs ride with partners? Did he request additional units before approaching the emotionally disturbed person(EDP)?
View Quote

Officer Richard Herzog was wearing body armor. He was riding alone and he did call for back up.  He was apparently the only LEO working that particular shift in the Newcastle (?) jurisdiction which is a small town near Bellevue, WA on the east side of King County.
Just so you know, alot of people in WA state are grieving over the loss of one of our deputy sheriffs.  It was tragic considering the man who killed Officer Herzog had a violent past and should have been in jail instead of being released early. Search komotv.com or tribnet.com for the full story.  Prayers to his loved ones.-websensei

Updated to include story from komotv.com
'He Wasn't In His Right Mind'
June 24, 2002
By KOMO Staff
KING COUNTY - Some disturbing new information about the man suspected of shooting and killing a King County Sheriff's deputy Saturday. A shooting the sheriff calls an execution.
The suspect, Ronald Matthews, has a lengthy record with police, including previous attacks on police officers.
He's gone to jail twice before on assault charges against cops, the most recent incident less than nine months ago.
Bellevue police had their own run-in with Matthews in late September. He attacked two Bellevue officers in the hallway of his condominium.
The officers tried pepper spray and the less lethal Taser weapon to subdue him, but couldn't.
"It took just the brute force of at least six officers to get him on the ground and get him into custody," said Bellevue Police spokesman Marsha Harnden.
Matthews was sentenced to a year in jail for assaulting the officers. He spent three months in jail in 1994 for assaulting a Seattle police officer.
He has numerous convictions for resisting arrest, a volatile and violent background, according to police.
But King County Deputy Richard Herzog didn't know any of that as he approached a naked man, believed to be Matthews, on busy Coal Creek Parkway Saturday evening.
Not knowing may have cost Herzog his life.
"You don't get notification when a bad guy gets out of jail," said Sheriff Dave Reichert. "You get a call and you don't know who you're gonna meet."
The Bellevue police department is furious. Angry that Matthews got out of jail so quickly following his assault conviction. Serving just five months of a one year sentence.
And Bellevue officers wonder, with a longer sentence, if Herzog would still be alive.
"It's very frustrating when we don't see people held accountable when they assault police," Harndon said. "We're second-guessed when we use force and when people use force against us there seems to be no accountability."
Matthews' wife, Jody Dahl, spoke with our newspaper partner, the Eastside Journal. She was stunned.
"I'm in a state of shock. He wasn't in his right mind," she said.
Mathews was to make a brief court appearance Monday. He is being held in the King County jail.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 1:36:04 PM EDT
[#4]
OK, we've seen this before--the naked crazy man in the streets.  BEWARE, he will kill you.  

Below are some notes regarding Substance Abuse Excited Delirium.  They are from an excellent presentation given by Knoxville PD's OFC. Van Bubel.  I use them with his permission, as granted during the class.  If you want more info and are an officer/EMS/first responder, just send me an E-mail.

Look at the indicators and compare them to what is known about the LODD in Seattle.

· Cocaine Overdose – LD50 Fatal blood level @ 6mg/liter
· Cocaine Psychosis – Only need .6mg/liter

Physiological symptoms include:
· Seizures
· High body temperatures (Hyperthermia)
· Dilated pupils

Substance Abuse Excited Delirium (SAED) – Resultant behavioral similarities between Cocaine Psychosis and the use of other drugs.
· LSD
· PCP
· ICE
· Methamphetamines
· THC
· Prescription Drugs or lack thereof, such as Lithium.

Symptoms and Behavioral Patterns of SAED:
· Bizarre and aggressive behavior
· Dilated pupils
· Fear (unexplained/unreasonable)
· Hyperthermia (high body temp.) Suspect is overheating inside (frying brain).
· Hiding (often obvious, behind trees, cars, bushes)
· Irrational or incoherent speech
· Jumping into water (high body temp, attempting to cool off)
· Panic
· Paranoia
· Profuse sweating (making it difficult to grab and restrain suspect)
· Public disrobing or nudity (high body temp, attempting to cool off)
· Self-inflicted injuries (oblivious to same, no pain)
· Shivering
· Shouting (irrational)
· Seizures
· Unexpected physical strength (untiring)
· Violent behavior
- Towards others
- Towards objects (especially glass [often resulting in injury & bleeding])

Beware of the naked, sweating, screaming, irrational 200 lb man.  Alone against him, you do not have a chance.

KEEP YOUR DISTANCE, GET ASSISTANCE, TALK, CONTAIN (may have to use mobile perimeter tactics)

NEVER go one-on-one with SAED suspect.  You will need assistance.  TASER may be most effective tool.  Probable solution for arrest is sheer weight and number of officers.

SUDDEN TRANQUILITY - If SAED episode resulting in arrest is followed by sudden tranquility (cessation of resistance, calm, not talking, submissive, etc.) there is a BIG PROBLEM--Very high likelihood of death.  
· Suddenly gives up
· Looks sleepy / rested

Suspect has overexerted himself, body has exceeded physical limits, heart is failing, adrenaline dump.  Suspect is likely in very poor internal physical condition despite external appearance (enlarged heart, poor oxygen efficiency of respiratory system, chemical make-up of blood).  SEEK IMMEDIATE MEDICAL ATTENTION.

This is similar to athletes (most notably basketball players) dying suddenly while playing.  Often have poor heart and history of drug use.

Example SAED incidents:
· COPS classic video of suspect in Barbershop.
· Recent (2001/2002 season) COPS episode with female officer (naked B/M).
· KPD death in field (officers tried and acquitted).
· Bean Station PD 250lb, 6ft + officer vs. 130lb 5ft 5in naked suspect.  5-8 minute struggle.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 3:07:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 7:56:44 AM EDT
[#6]
after 26 years on the dept. It did not take long to figured it out, no matter what you do or did you could be second guessed , so if the brass would not back you, you did nothing, avoided crime and criminals, Let the citizens fend for themselves,if you had brass that backed you up and did not nit-pick your decisions you did your best to get the bad guy, and had a blast doing it.If the media tried to make a big deal out of you shooting a dope dealer scum bag, because he went to church once in 1965 , the brass said forget them, good job, here's your commendation/promotion, go out there and do your job.If they said to much media pressure, you better sit a desk till things cool off, everyone said f*** this and went out and hid for the shift or made sure it took them so long to get to the call that the bad guy was gone on arrival.I guess what I'm saying is this poor Dep got it , most likely because he was thinking about what the brass would think instead of what he needed to do to go home at "end of shift"
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 7:31:19 PM EDT
[#7]
[img]seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/b1herzogmug26_0625203139.jpeg[/img]
Deputy Richard Herzog

[url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=127556&page=1]Seattle PI story[/url]
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 5:24:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Just thought I'd add a positive note to this tragic event. In the days following Herzog's execution, I have had several officers contact me regarding information on back-up weapons. Some of these were individuals who previously thought that their side arm was plenty of protection for their jurisdiction.

Some had even had scoffed at my ankle holstered .38 Chief's Special.

It is a pleasure to see these officers realizing that an alternative weapon might have made a difference in Herzog's death.

Now if I can just get them to carry AR's in their trunks...

Stay safe.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 5:38:20 PM EDT
[#9]
May he Rest in Peace
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top