Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2002 11:13:18 PM EDT
My little brother want to get into LE as an undercover narcotics officer. People are always walking up to him offering him drugs because of the way he looks. It pisses him off so bad that he's decided he'd like to arrest them all. How would he go about getting into this. He's got tattoos on his forearms, long hair and body piercings. Is there a way he can get in LE without changing his look? It's taken like 8 years to grow his hair. Thanks for any advice.
Scott
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 11:23:11 PM EDT
[#1]
He really would have to go to through everything like everyone else and put his time in. If it is people that he knows, he could call the narcotics division and provide information but they wouldnt let him get involved otherwise. The only other way he could get involved would be to get arrested and work off his charges as a CI. Obviously I would recommend the first one.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 11:56:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I do not know how the LE Community operates in your state however here in Georgia there are some options.  

We have several regional counterdrug units (ex. Northeast Georgia Drug Task Force.)  These units are usually made up of several agencies in an area, usually 3 - 5 counties wide and they draw thier personel from the various involved agencies.  However while in the academy several of us were offered jobs straight out of the academy to go work for them.  I can tell you that the pay sucked, the hours sucked, the benefits sucked, etc...  The only positive aspects I saw were the obvious, getting drugs off the street, get to participate in drug raids all the time and get good experiance.
From what I understand these programs are run through the State of Georgia (GBI and GSP.)  Now I could be wrong as I am really not interested in a detail like that.  This is just what I recall from the academy recruiters several years ago.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 9:21:05 AM EDT
[#3]
With some departments around here, he could work as a civilian making buys.  Obviously, he couldn't be in on the arrests but he would still be doing something.  We also have pulled people straight from the academy to work undercover but after a few months they have to go back to uniform work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top