Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2011 5:45:11 PM EDT
I needed one today on a young female that had a thready pulse and whatnot.  The restaurant we were at didn't have one, I have a decent sized Trauma bag/ FAK in my truck, but no AED.  I was wondering if anyone carrys one in their personal vehicle or in their Patrol car??  I'm thinking of throwing one in my truck as this would've been the second time within a year that I could've used it/ needed it.  If anyone has a good source of supply for one, please let me (us) know as well!!!
-SS

ETA:  We were able to stabilize the girl as best as we could, and the Medics carted her off so I don't know the final outcome.  But she was breathing and had a mildly steady HB when they left.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 5:59:03 PM EDT
[#1]
We have one in all of our cruisers. I believe that our local hospital donated them to us.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 6:28:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Not sure who paid for them but every marked squad has one in our department.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 6:34:32 PM EDT
[#3]
We used to have one in every patrol car.  Unfortunately no one budgeted for replacement batteries and now we are down to 3 that we grab at the beginning of shift.  We are working on a grant to get batteries but they are $600.00 each.  They are a great tool to have.  You rarely think about having one until you need one.

Good work.  Hope she makes it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 7:04:40 PM EDT
[#4]
All of our marked units have them.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 8:14:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I needed one today on a young female that had a thready pulse and whatnot.  The restaurant we were at didn't have one, I have a decent sized Trauma bag/ FAK in my truck, but no AED.  I was wondering if anyone carrys one in their personal vehicle or in their Patrol car??  I'm thinking of throwing one in my truck as this would've been the second time within a year that I could've used it/ needed it.  If anyone has a good source of supply for one, please let me (us) know as well!!!
-SS

ETA:  We were able to stabilize the girl as best as we could, and the Medics carted her off so I don't know the final outcome.  But she was breathing and had a mildly steady HB when they left.

Do you carry Narcan?
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 8:24:44 PM EDT
[#6]
There's one in my squad.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 8:25:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Do you carry Narcan?

Nope. Isn't that an Rx that can only be administered by a Paramedic??

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 10:04:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you carry Narcan?

Far as I know EMT-I can administer it. Nice to see you online bud!
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 10:31:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you carry Narcan?

It can be given by many first responders from Medics all the way down to EMT-B depending on the region. You will always   remember the first time you get to enjoy the authentic Narcan experience , especially if it happens to come while your still a gung-ho newbie early on. Nothin like a little no holds barred crackhead rodeo to liven things up at 0 dark thirty to get yourself ready to work.

I was recently given my own personal unit which I now carry with me off-duty along with the rest of my trauma bag. It is one of only a handful of things that I am willing to administer while acting strictly as a good samaritan only. AED/Pocket Face mask/BSI.  Even though in the eyes of the law it doesn't matter, NY does provide me with some liability protection for off duty AED use. Obviously family or loved ones, I'd use everything ALS at my disposal.

SleeperShooter, PM me if your looking to purchase an AED, I have a relationships Reps for all the major manufacturers through a non-profit I work with and have access to machines direct from the Company for very very substantial discounts.[/b]

I can also advise you on what machine would be best, and which you should absolutely avoid at all cost.
When it comes down to it, there is one company that is head and sholders above the others in nearly every area, price, quality, ruggedness, safety, simplicity/ease of use, additonal  features, accessories and customer service.

AED's are now an OTC purchase and are available from numerous retailers without a doctors Rx. Machines are available online from numerous providers including amazon.com, drugstore.com etc.*

*OTC for everything but dedicated Pediatric use (for dedicated use with a high risk child family member for example) or purchase for use as part of a Public Access program.
neither of these are of any concern for purchase of an individual unit, and both regulations are quickly on their way out or are already gone depending on location.

Link Posted: 9/17/2011 3:46:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Our patrol cars all carry an AED. They're too pricey to consider buying a personal one.
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 5:56:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
We have one in all of our cruisers. I believe that our local hospital donated them to us.

Same.  Ours were given to us by the county fire marshal/local homeland security.
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 6:19:01 AM EDT
[#12]
I was the first in my D to get one. I am a Red Cross CPR/AED instructor and teach regularly.
I cant count the times Ive used mine. (I live where people retire and vacation.)
If you are going to use one, please take a class. I witnesses some community clinic CNAs doing CPR on a guy that was fighting them. Two were holding him down and two were pumping away, "15 and 16 and 17 and. Stay calm, stop fighting us." All with the AED hanging off him. I cant imagine the pain that guy was in.

And X2 on the Narcan. Lots of fun!!!!
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 11:46:08 AM EDT
[#13]
We're issued them and they're serviced every year.
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 2:53:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Pwr2,
I'll send you an I'M when I get back to my computer at the house.

Everyone else, thanks for the info.  
-SS

Link Posted: 9/17/2011 8:30:34 PM EDT
[#15]
All of our marked cars have them.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 6:43:14 PM EDT
[#16]
All of our cars have them. Believe they were donated.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 2:02:17 PM EDT
[#17]
All PD and FD vehicles have AEDs here in town.  

No offense intended, but what about that call makes you think you need an AED?  I do support widespread use of AEDs but nothing about this patient makes me think you should have been hooking her up to a defib.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 2:57:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

No offense intended, but what about that call makes you think you need an AED?  I do support widespread use of AEDs but nothing about this patient makes me think you should have been hooking her up to a defib.

Given that he was in a police car, I assume he wanted to have something that is a) relatively cop proof and since and AED won't work unless it's needed, problem reasonably solved and b) is handy and doesn't require extensive training and experience.  I imagine he had an ambulance rolling.  My department has had several field AED saves in the last few years, both drowning victims.  They are handy for large jurisdictions and rural areas.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 3:19:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

A victim going in and out of consciousness, with a weak and thready pulse, who stated (in one of the 10 seconds she was semi-conscoiu) she had a previous episode of some heart trouble a few months ago... I figured and AED would be a little prudent.  Besides, it's not such a bad thing to have in the event that it's needed.  

Quoted:

Given that he was in a police car, I assume he wanted to have something that is a) relatively cop proof and since and AED won't work unless it's needed, problem reasonably solved and b) is handy and doesn't require extensive training and experience.  I imagine he had an ambulance rolling.  My department has had several field AED saves in the last few years, both drowning victims.  They are handy for large jurisdictions and rural areas.

Nope, I was in my POV as I left my former agency not long ago (which is why I don't have a little badge thingy).  Medics were rolling and I didn't know how far out they were.  And a +1 on the AED only working if it's needed.  I'm not trying to carry a full blown out ALS kit, but a moderately stocked BLS kit with some advanced stuff is IMHO good to have.  In the past 18 months, I've come across a total of two females (one having seizures & nobody around, and this last one), four injury MVA's, and a partridge in a pear tree.  I guess when it rains, it sometimes pours.  
-SS
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 3:52:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
-SS

yep by policy we carry one in each car every day. Had to use it a handful of times over the past 8 or so years we have had them, I think I am have 5 or 6 saves with an AED and only once did it shock and the guy did not make it.

I forget the brand name/model that we have (i'll check and update on wed) but they are idiot proof. All picture instructions and only 2 buttons, on/off and shock (and it tells u when to push that one, LOL)

J-
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 2:06:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
We used to have one in every patrol car.  Unfortunately no one budgeted for replacement batteries and now we are down to 3 that we grab at the beginning of shift.  We are working on a grant to get batteries but they are $600.00 each.  They are a great tool to have.  You rarely think about having one until you need one.

Good work.  Hope she makes it.

thats complete horseshit on the part of your dept brass and that price is a complete load of nonsense. 600 dollars a copy really ?? whose secretly withdrawing a couple bucks every few months on dept issued equipment funding to build that dreamhouse they wanted the week after they put in their papers.

How bout 120-140 a copy tops for a  replacement, as well as an overhaul and diagnostic from teh factory all next day air. After what  AED manufacturers did to get this product out and and available to market, and the one company in particular that fronted the coin to push through the FDA approval process to make these devices available OTC and available to everyone, money which I should add allowed both them and as well as all their competitors to start selling these life saving machines to the general public, the very last thing I assure you that they wan to deal with is any bad press that paints them as the greedy big pharma who wasn't willing to work with these deptarments to keep their devices in service after litle suzy smith, had a heart attack on the softball field and the first LEO on scene was powerless to save her since they couldnt afford the battery to get the machine back in service properly.

Again I don't want to jam anyone up or stick my fat face where it doesn't belong but if you want to pm the make and number of unites that are currently out of service. I'd be happy to put you in contact with someone who can discuss the procurement of whatever you guys need with with whoever is in charge of using the proper channels to do this. I understand the politics and possible grudges for stepping on toes and all that and  If you want to get involved which I totally understand no worries, but when it comes down to the bitter truth. the stats regarding saves the occur from CPR use alone, even immediate CPR on an otherwise faily health victim are pretty pathetic, that's jsut the way it is. AEDs change the game completely. Like I tell regular folk when I go through the CPR and AED use. without quoting exact numbers CPR is marginally effective at sustaining life, AEDs will bring those who are knocking hard on deaths door right back to life.

feel free to pm me for a contact to pass along to whoever would handle this for you guys.
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 3:57:36 AM EDT
[#22]
All of our Patrol units have one in the trunk.
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 4:24:22 AM EDT
[#23]
About half of our cars on a shift have one w/ their med kit.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:40:08 PM EDT
[#24]
I carry an FD issued one in my POV at all times. In our rural area most of our EMT's and up have them. I believe most of our area SO squads have one in them, but not sure if its 100% of their squads.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 9:24:20 PM EDT
[#25]
We have them in all our cars.  They get used a couple times each year too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top