Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2002 6:39:26 PM EDT
I went through BPOC training and passed TCLEOSE.  Part of the training was in the use of the ASP Tactical Baton.  While I was submitting my employment packets to various Agencies in my area, I got a job in the computer industry.  I advanced rapidly and started to make a better salary than I would have as a rookie LEO.  I decided to stay in the computer industry and chalk up my LEO training as a life experience.  I am about to travel and still have my ASP.  Is it legal for me to carry and use it in self-defense, or is it considered a "club" as defined in Chapter 46 of the Penal Code?  How understanding would you, as an LEO be if you pulled me over with the ASP in my possession?  I would normally carry my Glock, but I am going to the coast for a 24-hour fishing trip and don't want to leave my handgun in the car while I am offshore.  Thanks in advance for your advice!
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 6:58:05 PM EDT
[#1]
It's considered a club. Why can't you carry the Glock on the boat?
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 7:09:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for answering!  It's not that I can't, it's just that I don't feel that I could secure it, concealed, and still be comfortable.  I would prefer to not have it become an issue.  I haven't checked with the fishing boat company to see what their policy is on handgun carry...I guess I'll give them a call tomorrow morning.  Thanks again for the response.  I guess it will have to be pepper spray and situational awareness, unless the boat folks allow the carry.
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 8:24:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I really don't see a problem,  ask the captain if he has somplace he can store it (unloaded) like where he stores cameras and stuff.  Where you leaving out of?
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 9:22:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, another story about the soon to be famous "Carl", whom I used to share an ambulance with.

Carl always carried his ASP baton while we worked. He used to pull it out in the office and flick it opened and closed, to piss off our sergeant....

Scott

Link Posted: 6/6/2002 11:23:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought a tactical baton since i can't carry my HK yet (only 20..well next monday) and carry it everywhere I go.. If people do see it under my shirt most think it's a cell phone case on my belt or something
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 3:41:01 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm leaving from the Dolphin Dock in Port Aransas.  I'm going to go ahead and carry the Glock, since I have my CCW.  It seems as if I will get in less trouble with the pistol than the ASP.  I don't think I could articulate my way out of trouble if I was pulled over and it was discovered in my vehicle.  I mean, a club is a club, right?  Besides, this is my only vacation in three years, why take the chance of messing it up?
Here's a good one for you.  I went a gun show here in Austin last month and saw a table where the guy was selling blackjacks and saps.  As I was looking at them, this guy says that if I have my CCW, that I can carry a blackjack or sap as well as my firearm.  I didn't buy anything, but wondered how many people he convinced to put themselves at risk for carrying a prohibited weapon.  I don't remember anywhere in the Statutes where it says this.  Well, I'm off to Port "A" to get some $50.00-a-pound fish!
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 4:21:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Wow, what timing.  I just asked a question about the legalities of an ASP baton on another board.  Does any one here by change know the specifics about when an ASP baton can be carried in the state of Washington?

For example,
Are they legal :

* Concealed in public?
* Carried openly in public?
* In a motor vehicle?
* In a residence?
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 9:37:44 PM EDT
[#8]
You can always carry a four D cell maglite and/or a fire extinguisher in your car. They are both legal just about everywhere you can take your car to like Canada and Mexico. They both work great for dealing with "problems" too.

If I had the instance to come accross you while working and you had an ASP, no biggie, especially if you had a CCW. But I don't know how others may feel and the legalities in other areas. ( unless of course you were swinging it around and knocking out old ladies ) [:d]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top