Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2011 6:33:20 AM EDT
My agency is purchasing TAC outer carriers for us this coming week. For those of you that use outer carriers, what do you wear underneath? I've seen various agencies (railroad police and another local municipal agency) that use their standard Blauer work shirt underneath, but another agency that is not so local uses a Polo-type shirt. If you have the option of both, which do you prefer? If you wear a Polo-type, what brand and model? Also, if you could post pictures that would be extremely helpful as well.

Right now our command staff's plan is to use our Blauer's we've been wearing for years and I'm trying to get the Polo-type option approved. Thanks for any help you can provide!
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 7:26:09 AM EDT
[#1]
We have to wear our BDU shirts underneath.  I would much prefer a polo shirt or t shirt if it was allowed.

Probably an underarmor style would be most comfortable.  Otherwise some decent cotton.

Best,

-Coop
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 8:08:20 AM EDT
[#2]

I'v been wearing an external vest carrier for over 18 months now. Generally, I wear polo shirts under mine but I have worn my standard polyester uniform under it on occasion.

I've got all my badge/name tag/department logo embroidered on the carrier so the shirts I do wear underneath are plain polos in black or blue.

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 8:21:34 AM EDT
[#3]
I've recently started wearing an outer carrier, and overall I like it better. It's not perfect though. We wear our regular uniform shirts underneath, which I think is stupid. All we *really* need is something that has sleeves with our agency patch because that's the only part that shows. One thing I wasn't ready for is that my uniform shirt gets soaked with sweat by the end of the day, so I can only wear my uniform shirt one day or I stink to high hell. I've accumulated 6 or 7 uniform shirts over the years and most are in various states of wear (holes, stains, etc...) but they work as "undershirts."
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 11:14:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've recently started wearing an outer carrier, and overall I like it better. It's not perfect though. We wear our regular uniform shirts underneath, which I think is stupid. All we *really* need is something that has sleeves with our agency patch because that's the only part that shows. One thing I wasn't ready for is that my uniform shirt gets soaked with sweat by the end of the day, so I can only wear my uniform shirt one day or I stink to high hell. I've accumulated 6 or 7 uniform shirts over the years and most are in various states of wear (holes, stains, etc...) but they work as "undershirts."

That's where I'm coming from with my train of thought. These Blauer shirts are going to get downright nasty when its 105 outside. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 12:03:01 PM EDT
[#5]
We wear our standard uniform shirts under our outer vests.  It helps to get the shirts tailored in to pick up the excess baggage from where the under-vest was. At first I just wore my standard shirts but it looked like shit because they were baggy underneath the vest and stuck out underneath. You guys will love outervests though. I switched last year and never looked back, especially during the warm months where you can undo them in car and get some air underneath!
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 1:44:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Polos in summer and mock turtlenecks/ turtlenecks in cold weather.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 5:00:19 PM EDT
[#7]
If I had the option, I would look at one of those "assault shirts" that the Army is running now, its like a regular underarmor shirt over your torso (under the carrier) but with regular looking sleeves.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 7:49:09 PM EDT
[#8]
5.11 Performance Polo under mine
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top