Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2011 1:40:20 AM EDT
30 minutes after the start of my shift I put my CVPI on it's roof. It had been raining for a while and I went around a sharp curve. Guess since it had been so hot recently all the oil was coming to the surface of the asphalt. The ass end swung out, I let off the gas, hopped the curb, went up a small hill, then I rolled over.
Kinda sat there for a second, found my mic, which was still where it was before the crash, and called in to dispatch. I was stuck hanging by the seat belt till fire got the door pryed open. Next thing I know they say they are undoing the seatbelt, and I fall down, crawled out on my own.  I felt fine but the department insisted I go get checked out, got to spend the next 4 hours in the er. What fun that was.  While they were putting me on the backboard and removing my duty belt, the ems folks and fire got a kick out of the other 2 backup guns, and the 3 knives I was carrying.  Later on when my Sargent brought all my stuff out of the car to the house, he was kinda shocked about the amount of long guns, pistols, and ammo I had squirreled away in the car. The only injuries I have are my left arm is cut up some from glass, and I've got cuts and a bunch of glass in my head. The doc says I'll have glass popping out for a while, and that I'm probably going to be sore tomorrow.
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 1:53:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Glad you're ok!
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 1:55:26 AM EDT
[#2]
That fuckin sucks. Glad you're okay though.

So what guns did you have on you?
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 2:01:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

On me personally, Wilson CQB tactical le for main duty gun, Ruger LCP on the vest, Glock 30 on the ankle.
In the car, FN 5.7 in the seat pouch next to me, Rock River AR and FN SLP on the rear of the passenger seat, POF 20" .308 in storm case in trunk, Rock River 24" .223 in another storm case in trunk, Glock 23 and 21, and a browning .22 in a range bag in the trunk. And a 870 as a spare shotgun if I've got a reserve officer riding with me. Plus enough ammo for all to start and finish a small war. Being 1 of 3 or 4 deputies out at night for almost 800 square miles I like to be prepared.
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 2:12:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

On me personally, Wilson CQB tactical le for main duty gun, Ruger LCP on the vest, Glock 30 on the ankle.
In the car, FN 5.7 in the seat pouch next to me, Rock River AR and FN SLP on the rear of the passenger seat, POF 20" .308 in storm case in trunk, Rock River 24" .223 in another storm case in trunk, Glock 23 and 21, and a browning .22 in a range bag in the trunk.

Thank God you're ok and on OUR side.
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 2:16:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the thoughts, I'm more embarrassed than anything, I was only doing about 30mph if that. I'm going to work on a much better story tomorrow about how it happened.
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 2:18:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thanks for the thoughts, I'm more embarrassed than anything, I was only doing about 30mph if that. I'm going to work on a much better story tomorrow about how it happened.

Chasing down baddies always works......
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 3:13:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the car, FN 5.7 in the seat pouch next to me, Rock River AR and FN SLP on the rear of the passenger seat, POF 20" .308 in storm case in trunk, Rock River 24" .223 in another storm case in trunk, Glock 23 and 21, and a browning .22 in a range bag in the trunk. And a 870 as a spare shotgun if I've got a reserve officer riding with me. Plus enough ammo for all to start and finish a small war. Being 1 of 3 or 4 deputies out at night for almost 800 square miles I like to be prepared.

Nice cache of toys.  Our dept and it's policies would never allow such personally owned fun.  One back up and that's it.  Personally owned trunk guns and long guns are a big no-no.
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 3:21:18 AM EDT
[#8]
My department is very friendly towards us having whatever we want. I do remember while hanging there upside down thinking and hoping that the 2 long guns that were vertical on the back of the pasenger seat were not damaged.
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 3:29:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Glad you're ok, brother. Take your time and hope you are back on the street soon.
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 4:02:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Like already said... glad you got out of it w/o serious injury.  I'm also glad to see you are prepared...
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 4:04:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Glad you're ok, brother. Take your time and hope you are back on the street soon.

Thanks, last night was my Friday, I should be good by wednsday to go back. Hopefully I'll be able to get a car, we are short cars at the moment.

Link Posted: 8/7/2011 6:00:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Glad your ok
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 7:05:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 7:11:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Glad your safe.  Been there, done that.  

Anything with optics you will want to check zero before return to duty.  

Link Posted: 8/7/2011 7:15:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Glad to hear you are okay.

Hope your departments accident policy isn't like ours.
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 7:19:44 AM EDT
[#16]
The next day soreness isn't bad - it's the 2nd day that sucks.

Glad your are OK!
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 8:00:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Dam cars just dont handle like they used to.  Sorry to hear that happened.  Now watch them say it was the added weight of the ammo that made her top heavy and caused her to roll over.  If the fire guys took picks while you were hanging upside down - Priceless.   Let me suggest this –– gear that is not securely belted into the vehicle often becomes missles in an accident.   Get Well Soon and get back out there and kick some ass.  Let me also suggest a change try the Glock 30 attached to the vest 511 makes a all velcro adjustable holster that works well and then put the LCP in your off hand back rear pocket or better yet a J frame .357  S&W.  Its always good to have stuff you can get to with your off hand if struggling to retain your primary sidearm and you can bring something out of an off hand pocket pretty quick getting to a boot holster is a little tougher and always a drag in a foot chase unless its sewed to the boot.
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 8:37:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Glad you are ok. Hope nothing of yours in car was damaged and that they get you a replacement soon.
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 1:11:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Godspeed your recovery sir.
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 2:30:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Damn!  Glad your OK.  Heal up and get back in the game.
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 3:14:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Dam cars just dont handle like they used to.  Sorry to hear that happened.  Now watch them say it was the added weight of the ammo that made her top heavy and caused her to roll over.  If the fire guys took picks while you were hanging upside down - Priceless.   Let me suggest this –– gear that is not securely belted into the vehicle often becomes missles in an accident.   Get Well Soon and get back out there and kick some ass.  Let me also suggest a change try the Glock 30 attached to the vest 511 makes a all velcro adjustable holster that works well and then put the LCP in your off hand back rear pocket or better yet a J frame .357  S&W.  Its always good to have stuff you can get to with your off hand if struggling to retain your primary sidearm and you can bring something out of an off hand pocket pretty quick getting to a boot holster is a little tougher and always a drag in a foot chase unless its sewed to the boot.

Thanks for the input, all my stuff is very secured to the car, nothing came loose or flew around. I have even gone so far as to ratchet strap the long gun cases down in the trunk. My Glock 30 is in a Galco lace on holster on my boot. It works real well, it's also set up for support side draw, that way I can get to it easy while seated in the car, my prisoners have to go up front with me since I don't have a cage. This way I've got my right hand free to deal with them or protect my main duty gun, and I can draw the Glock off the boot if need be. The LCP has then pocket clip on it and stays nicely under the vest straps.
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 3:48:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Welcome to the 4 off the ground club.
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 4:12:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Why did you stay in the car?  I released a belt in a rollover and crawled out and the roof was almost completely flat.  My rollover was into a drainage culvert.  

CVPIs have a tendency to catch fire, so that is why I ask.
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 8:15:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Why did you stay in the car?  I released a belt in a rollover and crawled out and the roof was almost completely flat.  My rollover was into a drainage culvert.  

CVPIs have a tendency to catch fire, so that is why I ask.

I was a little dazed, not sure about the condition of the car, I could feel the door against me so I knew the door was not an option, I was also fairly comfy for being upside down, did not know what would happen when I released the belt. And also the fact that it pretty much happened infront of the fire station, I knew help was going to be there real quick. I just figured I was better off where I was.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 1:57:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Glad you made it out ok.

We are going to be bumper cars when it finally rains here.

MPD165
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 2:29:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 2:35:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Glad you are OK.

I assume they will give you the courtesy of a day or so before a review board crawls up your ass?

Just found out it's at 13:00 tomorow. And the county doctor later tomorow to get released, although the way I feel right now, I'm not sure I'm ready to go back yet.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 3:02:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
My department is very friendly towards us having whatever we want. I do remember while hanging there upside down thinking and hoping that the 2 long guns that were vertical on the back of the pasenger seat were not damaged.

love the priorities......Glad you and your equipment turned out safe.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 3:39:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Glad you made it out ok.

We are going to be bumper cars when it finally rains here.

MPD165

This. It won't be a pretty day for us or DPS...
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 3:51:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Glad you are OK.

I assume they will give you the courtesy of a day or so before a review board crawls up your ass?

Just found out it's at 13:00 tomorow. And the county doctor later tomorow to get released, although the way I feel right now, I'm not sure I'm ready to go back yet.

Good god that's quick!  Our accident review boards may be 6 months from the time of the accident.  I'm still waiting on my review board from my accident just before St. Pats...  
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 5:43:11 PM EDT
[#31]
this thread is worthless without pics of crashed patrol vehicle
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 5:53:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
this thread is worthless without pics of crashed patrol vehicle

I will get some shortly, I dont even have any yet.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 4:10:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 7:53:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Any wreck you can walk away from...

Glad you're code 4. No doubt that you'll be cutting paper of the matter, though.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 8:44:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 11:29:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Sorry to hear that but I'm glad you're OK.  

*knocks on wood*
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 5:32:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Glad you are OK.
I've only totalled one in my career. It happens. Cars are replaceable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top