Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/29/2002 6:41:24 PM EDT
another topic got me wondering about this one.
in michigan , we have what is known as PA 330 this allows hospitals, shopping malls and other entities deemed neccessary by the state of MI to have "security police" and "private police" this basically extends (with proper training) full arrest power to officers certified through the state and hired by the business.
at first, i thought this seemed kinda pointless.
but i got to know a lot of the guys at hospitals and shopping malls and IT IS REALLY neccessary, hardened shitheads don't cause trouble when they know they can be arrested, without this certification, you get a lot of "asshole activity" by your average dirtbag, because he knows the average "guard" can't arrest him, and he can take off before the "real" cops get there.
this act prevents that, and is a great idea, for example, one of the hospitals in downtown detroit logged over 600 arrests last year!!!!
just wondering if any other states have such an act or provision.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 10:55:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Private companys around here can arrest, carry firearms etc.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 6:51:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Here,  any tax entity can set up a police dept. Cities, airports, school districts, heck even the Hospital district.  They are all full fledged peace officers.  Security guards are just regular guys with no arrest authority.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 8:18:21 AM EDT
[#3]
The only one I know of here is Disney PD.

The malls and hospitals only have guards.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 8:34:21 AM EDT
[#4]
yeah, i heard about TX, and a friend of mine left one of the malls in detroit to work for broward co FL, and they honored his time at the mall as peace officer experience.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 9:08:41 AM EDT
[#5]
In Virginia registered armed security officers do have arrest authority on their contract sites, the catch is they must be a registered security officer with firearm certification.

Also circuit court judges can swear in individuals as Special Police Officers in their respective judicial districts, these SPOs have arrest authority but do not have to complete academy. I know of only a handful of these mostly Armed security officers with road patrols and one Paramedic who was sworn, basically so he could perform emergency custody arrests.

Jake
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 1:58:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I was an airport cop here in Texas a while back, same powers as PD.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top