Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/13/2002 2:18:16 PM EDT
This is not in any way meant as a bash against cops. I  many cop friends and have several in the family. But it seems that most of the cops I have met know very little about firearms in general. They seem to have a good working knowledge of their duty firearm(s), but when it comes to most other weapons they are clueless. For example, I took my Ruger Nine in to get a
"safety inspection" (required in MI) and I put down for the caliber that it was a 9 x 19 mm (thinking that writing just 9mm was too vague), anyway the LT. looked at me and asked "what the hell is a 9x19mm). That's just one example.
It seems to me that police would want to know everything they can about something that can kill them so easily. Anybody else notice this or is it just me?
Again, not meant as a bash, I like cops.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 2:35:29 PM EDT
[#1]
To Serve and Protect...

themselves.

Remember Emelio Paz!

Link Posted: 5/13/2002 2:46:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Most police are not gun enthusiast. A gun to most coppers is a tool, nothing more.
On my shift for my department there are only about 5 of us out of 46, me included that are really into guns.
The rest of the officers only know enough about the weapons to operate them and are required to qualify with them and that's it.
I hear a lot on this website of what if scenarios about if a cop finds someone's pre ban rifle and they get arrested for having an evil feature that they are not supposed to have and the reality is most officers would not know the difference between pre or post ban the only thing they care about is if the weapon is stolen and what you are doing with it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 2:54:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I can only speak for my many firends that are police officers. People become police officers for many reasons. It's not necessarily because they are 'gun nuts' of want to carry a gun. To the average police officer his weapon is nothing more than a tool required to perform his job. Many friends of mine, when they go off duty, put it in a locked draw and forget about it until they have to go to work the next day. I actually have to beg them to clean it once and a while. When NYPD carried wheel guns do you know how many police officers carried their pens jammed into their holsters? Can you imagine what would happen if they had to draw that weapon in a hurry? Again, its just a tool necessary for the job and that's what they treat it like.

I'm a paramedic and, as such, carry a stethoscope. Why? because its the primary tool that I use to perform my duty. I know it well enough to use it correctly. Am I a "stethoscope nut"? No. Do i have pre and post ban stethoscopes at home in a display case? No. Why? because its a tool for a Paramedic just like a firearm is a tool for a Police Officer. My .02 cents.

I'm not sure you're going to get an unbiased answer to this question because, by definition, everybody on this board is a gun enthusiast.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 2:57:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I have seen this too. For many in law enforcement, believe it or not, many had never even so much as touched a firearm until in training as a law enforcement officer. So there only experience is with the department weapons. I worked in a small town police dept in Missouri and have spent the past 15 years in the Missouri dept of corrections. Many of our new officers have never even touched a gun before. You cant believe how stressed our instructors are after a day on the range with them. I had one instructor joke to me that one of safest places to be is on the berm with the targets. I could go on for a hour but yes its true many in law enforcement are not familiar with firearms.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 3:03:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Dont get me started. The range I frequent (Classic Pistol, Philly), has a large LE member body. And without fault, every time I bring a class 3 full auto weapon, they cannot believe that someone other than police are allowed to own them. I have actually had officers grill me about it.

I just smile and tell them they are welcome to shoot a few mags through it is they want to.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 3:22:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I got stopped by DPS for exceeding the speed limit south of Midland TX. Since I was carrying
, I had to show my CHL. Needless to say this concerned the young rookie, who promptly informed me he would need to disarm me for my protection. Training officer seeing his trainee put me in a hands on the head, legs spread position and retreiving a pistol from my pocket exited his vehicle with sig drawn. I got a ticket, and had to show numbnuts how to fieldstrip my mousegun so they could give it back to me in pieces. I would have been more upset but the $100 I paid to the JP for deferred adjudication was worth it to watch
those 2 fiddlefart with my little 32. I wonder if that video will ever be on TV?
PS: Dad is retired US Marshall, My bro is USAF SP. Lots of cops in the family. Me? Im the Medic
Lebrew
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 3:31:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm a paramedic and, as such, carry a stethoscope. Why? because its the primary tool that I use to perform my duty. I know it well enough to use it correctly. Am I a "stethoscope nut"? No. Do i have pre and post ban stethoscopes at home in a display case? No. Why? because its a tool for a Paramedic just like a firearm is a tool for a Police Officer. My .02 cents.

View Quote

I see your point, only a stethoscope isn't a dangerous weapon. As a fireman, if there is a good chance that something I run into almost daily has a good chance at killing me, I tend to want to know as much as possible about it. I figured the same was true for cops. Would like to hear from some LE about this. And yeah, you're right about getting an unbiased opinion on this board. Too many gun-nuts here.[;)]
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 3:45:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I live in the Philly suburbs and things are pretty quiet for a patrolman.

At my friends auto repair shop I run into local LEO's on a steady basis. They're great guys and they enjoy busting my balls as much as I do busting theirs. You've got to have a sense of humor in order to do their job!

Anyway, one day I ask a 19 year veteran what he's carrying, Glock or Sig?
Serious as can be he say's "what the fluck do I know?"

Then explains.....
In the 19 years I've been with the PD I've pulled the trigger of my pepper spray almost every week. In 19 years I've only unholstered my gun twice and never fired it.
Amazing huh?

I guess where you live and work plays a dramatic role in what is a priority in life?
I would imagine I should be thankful I live in an area where the local LEO's are more comfortable using pepper spray then guns.
Makes me feel warm inside with a 3 week old toddler upstairs with his mom.

However, I know this "peace" can't and won't last forever. I'll enjoy it while I can.
Philly continues to grow and devour the burbs.

Anyway....most LEO's are good people and I try to support them. I won't belittle them here or on any website.

Link Posted: 5/13/2002 3:50:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I would have been more upset but the $100 I paid to the JP for deferred adjudication was worth it to watch
those 2 fiddlefart with my little 32.  
View Quote

Why were you fined if you had a license to carry? And what the heck does "deferred adjudication" mean.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 3:58:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Many years ago in Michigan I took a CZ-75 in for “inspection” by my then local police department.  The desk officer looked at it, opened the action to make sure it was unloaded (I assume), and let the slide go forward.  Then he played with the safety for a few seconds.  Next he turns to me and asks how to de-cock it.  I told him he had to put his thumb on the hammer, pull the trigger and ride the hammer down.  He looked at me like I had grown horns out of my head.  He preformed said actions, told me that was a nutty way to de-cock a gun, what a poor design that was, and gave it back to me in disgust.  I can only assume that was the first gun he had handled without a de-cocking lever.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 4:21:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Why were you fined if you had a license to carry?
View Quote

Probably for speeding, which is why they pulled him over to begin with.

Link Posted: 5/13/2002 4:32:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I see your point, only a stethoscope isn't a dangerous weapon. As a fireman, if there is a good chance that something I run into almost daily has a good chance at killing me, I tend to want to know as much as possible about it. I figured the same was true for cops. Would like to hear from some LE about this. And yeah, you're right about getting an unbiased opinion on this board. Too many gun-nuts here.[;)]
View Quote

Funny you should say that. Had an EDP grab the scope that was around my neck and tried to choke me with it. Fortunately, he missed the benchmade sidefolder in my front pocket which subsequently found itself embedded in his right thigh. I thought about going for a more viatal area but this is nyc, I would have had an Al Sharpton protest march in my honor. Besides he was an EDP and not necessarily aware of what he was doing. You never know....
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 4:33:22 PM EDT
[#13]
In my experience I find that firearms are just another tool for police officers. Very few of us (like me) are actually gun buffs. Even fewer go out and actually train with their firearms. Sad but true.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 4:45:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Funny you should say that. Had an EDP grab the scope that was around my neck and tried to choke me with it. Fortunately, he missed the benchmade sidefolder in my front pocket which subsequently found itself embedded in his right thigh. I thought about going for a more viatal area but this is nyc, I would have had an Al Sharpton protest march in my honor. Besides he was an EDP and not necessarily aware of what he was doing. You never know....
View Quote

I never heard of a medic stabbing his pt. What kind of trouble did you get in for that one.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 5:00:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

I never heard of a medic stabbing his pt. What kind of trouble did you get in for that one.
View Quote

What choice did I have? Try it for yourself. Piss of your wife/girlfriend first, then have her try and choke you with a Littman Cardiology. See how it feels then decide on a course of action in less than one second. The fact that the EDP outweighed me by a good 100 lbs left me with no choice. I didn't get into trouble. I was exonnerated primarily on the basis of the ligature marks around my neck. Bed-Sty in the early nineties was a zoo.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 5:02:17 PM EDT
[#16]
It's not just you.  It is quite scary to see how poorly the majority of the deputies I work with shoot and maintain their weapon.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 6:10:11 PM EDT
[#17]
You were being way to specific,a nine mm is a nine mm,whether it be a 9x19,9x18 or a lowly 9x17(.308).   What really throws everbody off coarse is their is no 38 cal.

It is indeed a .357 actualy smaller than a .380 in diameter ,and a 9x18 mak is actually bigger than a nine mil in size of bullet cal.  And then again their is a 38 S&W which some call a 38 short about the size of a 9x19.

So you can take a 38 special case and load it hot enough to be a .357 mag ,so there for they made the case too long to put it in a 38 special. keeps a lot of people from swelling if not blowing their cylinders up.

So just because evey LEO out there doesn't the difference between a 9x19 lugar from a 9x21 largo doesn't mean they aren't trying.  Its a lot to know. And I bet that CZ was a 7.62x25.

And Oh yaw I like carrots ,and the 10mm auto.

Bob    [8D]
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 6:12:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

What choice did I have? Try it for yourself. Piss of your wife/girlfriend first, then have her try and choke you with a Littman Cardiology. See how it feels, then decide on a course of action in less than one second. The fact that the EDP outweighed me by a good 100 lbs left me with no choice. I didn't get into trouble. I was exonnerated primarily on the basis of the ligature marks around my neck. Bed-Sty in the early nineties was a zoo.
View Quote
View Quote

Gage and DeSoto never had to stab anyone and they had all sorts of loonies.[;)]
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 6:39:14 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't mean to bash the general public, I mean I like people, I'm on your side really, but I've noticed lately that most people are damn clueless. I mean I like you people, I have several people in my family so we're connected, aren’t we, I mean I like you people but why are you all so very stupid.
Here is an example, I was directing traffic at an accident scene yesterday, did I mention that I like people?, OK I'm OK are you OK, OK we're all OK, so anyway and ah, this PERSON asked me if they could drive their car through the barricade across the fire hose, around the car that was on fire.
I said NO. and they said Why Not?.
I thought that if you were going to drive a car you would understand the word NO! You would understand FIRE! or you would understand the value of basic concepts.
I'm not bashing people, but has anyone else noticed this?

GET REAL SPORT!!

TRODOG
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 6:46:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I don't mean to bash the general public, I mean I like people, I'm on your side really, but I've noticed lately that most people are damn clueless. I mean I like you people, I have several people in my family so we're connected, aren’t we, I mean I like you people but why are you all so very stupid.
Here is an example, I was directing traffic at an accident scene yesterday, did I mention that I like people?, OK I'm OK are you OK, OK we're all OK, so anyway and ah, this PERSON asked me if they could drive their car through the barricade across the fire hose, around the car that was on fire.
I said NO. and they said Why Not?.
I thought that if you were going to drive a car you would understand the word NO! You would understand FIRE! or you would understand the value of basic concepts.
I'm not bashing people, but has anyone else noticed this?

GET REAL SPORT!!

TRODOG
View Quote

Who peed in your cheerios this morning trodog?
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 11:33:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It seems to me that police would want to know everything they can about something that can kill them so easily. Anybody else notice this or is it just me?

View Quote

Hmmm.....
The reason most cops don't know much about guns is, they are not important.
Last time I checked a gun doesn't kill you, the idiot pulling the trigger does.

All a cop needs to know about a gun is which end the bullet comes out of.

A cop needs to know about people. He/she needs to spend his/her time studying why people do the things they do, and what makes them become violent.

The gun itself is a very, very small piece of what actions and events come together to kill a cop.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 11:47:33 PM EDT
[#22]
I had a friend who is a patrolman for APD.  The departments gunsmith/range officer issued all lead ammo to the officers for their range time.  Now we all know that all lead is a big no no in Glocks and H&K's.  I looked in his barrel after a shoot and damn it was nasty.  He said that the gunsmith insisted that this was just fine.  Take what you want out of this.

Just my .02
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 3:18:20 AM EDT
[#23]
I like Cheerios, I like to pee, I just don’t understand why people who eat food and pee don’t know every damn little minor insignificant thing about eating and peeing.

I would think that if your life depended on eating and peeing that you would at least take the time to know everything little thing about it less I call you CLUELESS.

Now I’ll hide behind the slogan that I really like people so that you all don’t really understand why I’m so indifferent to you.

I need some back up here, Quick, somebody post one of those smiley faces punching the crap out of a COP-BASHING smiley face.

TroDog  

Link Posted: 5/14/2002 4:06:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Hmmm.....
The reason most cops don't know much about guns is, they are not important.
Last time I checked a gun doesn't kill you, the idiot pulling the trigger does.

All a cop needs to know about a gun is which end the bullet comes out of.

A cop needs to know about people. He/she needs to spend his/her time studying why people do the things they do, and what makes them become violent.

The gun itself is a very, very small piece of what actions and events come together to kill a cop.
View Quote

Well said schv. makes sense, thanks.
                                 Fireguy
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 9:07:23 AM EDT
[#25]
fireguy,

A lot of people really are clueless.  I've had many a situation like the one TroDog described, like a tourist getting out of his car on a freeway blocked so we could conduct a felony stop on a serial armed robbery suspect.  Tourist walks up behind me while I'm drawing a bead with a 12 gauge as the guy is stepping out of the car and taps me on the shoulder.  It was a good thing my finger was off the trigger.  All he wanted was directions to Disneyland.

I think TroDog's "get real sport" was directed at the morons, not you.  However, it did sound like someone did piss in his Cherrios...[;)]
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 10:02:55 AM EDT
[#26]
If you get away from the great North Eastern portion of the country, the Left Coast, and Atlanta, which isn't really a southern city, you will find the general firearms savvy will increase.
No, the average beat cop is not a ballistics expert. I have been studying firearms ballistics for almost 20 years. I am my departments rangemaster. I am an armorer on the Beretta, Glock, and Colt AR15/M16A2. Next month I'll be certified on the Sig. I used to work part time in a large gunshop. Yet there is still stuff out there that I don't know anything about. There are so many calibers out there now, who can keep up with them all? Rainman?
That is why not everyone is an "expert witness" in a particular subject matter.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 10:12:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Chida, the reason for the "all lead rule" on the APD range is that it has a metal backstop.  Firing jacketed rounds on the range leads to imbedded jacket material in the people on the firing line.  As for the Glocks etc. APD weapons procurement is officer purchase. Your friend was well aware of the rule before he bought his Glock. Don't blame the dept for something caused by your friend's own actions.    
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 11:52:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Firing lead bullet reloads in a 9mm pistol is asking for trouble, steel backstop or not.  Westminster PD switched to the Berreta 92F in the mid-80's.  They used some really crappy lead reloads until they had two case head separations.  Both personally-owned pistols were damaged.  One officer suffered minor eye injuries and both had minor hand injuries.

They had been "shooting the lead out of the bore" by firing jacketed rounds that they believed cleaned the lead out.  That practice is not all that safe either and it does not remove the lead.  The only waty to get the lead out is to use a lead removing tool or solvent.  Even if you use the tool, you still have to remove the lead at the throat with a pick.  Failure to do so creates a short headspace issue that Berreta said caused the case head failures.  Berreta repaired both guns at no charge, but told the PD that they wouldn't fix any more that failed if lead bullets were involved.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 4:36:13 PM EDT
[#29]
DaveG,
I’ll say this, and then let it go.

I detest self righteous  people who look to find any small insignificant perceived flaw about an officer’s knowledge or performance and then point this self made flaw out as if it were a meaningful malfunction on our part.

Piss in my Cheerios huh, well for all of you perfectionists, two of our officers were standing at the rear of their cruiser Sunday night conducting a traffic stop on some perfect motorist when a perfect drunk driver F---ing clueless slammed into both officers.

One officer (25 years of age) lost his perfectly good leg. The other officer is still in intensive care, but don’t let that stop Mr. I don’t bash cops, their just clueless from uncovering some imperfections.

Yea you pissed in my Cheerios son but at least you got two good legs to stand on while your pissing.

End of this topic!

TroDog!
(That was not directed AT YOU DaveG)    
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 4:44:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
\, anyway the LT. looked at me and asked "what the hell is a 9x19mm). That's just one example.

View Quote

holy shit, you don't live in monroe do you?  i had a lieutenant doing an inspection on my .357 look at me like i was friggin' nuts when i told him i shoulda got a .38, because that's mostly what i'll shoot out of the .357.  he looks at me and says,"you know this is a 357 and not a .38 right, because putting the wrong caliber ammo in a gun is dangerous"
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 4:50:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 8:39:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would have been more upset but the $100 I paid to the JP for deferred adjudication was worth it to watch
those 2 fiddlefart with my little 32.  
View Quote

Why were you fined if you had a license to carry? And what the heck does "deferred adjudication" mean.
View Quote

I paid the fine for court cost to be put on probation for 90 days for speeding. Since I didn't get another ticket in the judges jurisdiction the speeding charge was dismissed.
Like it never happened. [}:d]
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 12:18:06 PM EDT
[#33]
It's remarkable how gun touchers are amazed by the fact that most cops don't give a sh*t about guns. Carrying a gun for a living is not the single greatest thing in the world contrary to what some people may think. The fact that many cops have only a passing interest in firearms tells me that they choose the profession for reasons other than being allowed to carry a gun. That's probably a good thing. Guns happen to be a hobby of mine but that doesn't make me a better cop than my coworkers who may happen to be into baking or whatever their hobbies may be. It's been said already and I'll reiterate that guns are a just one of the tools of the trade. I use math every day but I'm no mathematician, I don't have to be. I drive a car everyday, but I'm not qualified to race NASCAR, I don't have to be. I carry a gun every day but I'm no firearms expert, I don't have to be. Trying to make a the point that cops should know guns because they can kill them is ridicules. That makes about as much sense as saying every driver must be an automotive expert because they may get into a crash someday. What difference does it make what kind of gun is pointing at me? They all look like cannons when your looking down the wrong end at the wrong time.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 3:26:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 4:04:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Gone are the days of Firearms training programs that teach and stress true "marksmanship".  Look around in some of the older and smaller Police Departments and you may find a dusty trophy case with pistol marksmanship plaques and trophys...if you do, they will be dated early 80's to 70's.

Those Departments that don't have a display case are the ones who paved the way to the erosion of "Pistolmanship" as a way of life and how to do your job proudly (and also in a manner that will keep you alive).

I have tried to get a pistol team started at my department so we can worship the art of marksmanship all the while bonding and creating a team of committed individuals.  However, no takers...most look at you like you are some type of Tackleberry of Police Accdy.  But hell, mention golf and watch em go nuts.

I guess I was born late.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 4:08:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Sorry I got off track.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 10:13:02 AM EDT
[#37]
So, according to TRODOG, LEO in general do not know more about firearms than the general public, and have no need to.
Fine, I believe this to be true.
You figure out the rest for yourself.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 12:30:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
So, according to TRODOG, LEO in general do not know more about firearms than the general public, and have no need to.
Fine, I believe this to be true.
You figure out the rest for yourself.
View Quote

Why must a the street police officer know the difference between an H&K USP tactical and an H&K SOCCOM or an SAR1 and and MAK 90 or a High Point 9mm and a Bryco .380? You can pull all kinds of B.S. out of your ass but I'm telling you from experience that the average Police officer doesn't need to know how to identify and operate every type of firearm he may encounter on the job. Police Officers have to qualify with the firearms they use on duty that's the way it works. The system was designed by people who know a hell of a lot more about police work and the needs of police officers then you do. There is a reason that firearms identification isn't taught in basic police academies. It's simply isn't needed to do the job. Contrary to what your paranoid fantasies might tell you, enforcing firearms laws is not a high priority with the average cop on the beat. If your caught carrying a firearm illegally we will arrest you, if you shoot someone we will do our best to arrest you. If you rob someone we will do our best to arrest you. If your pistol grip AK doesn't have the correct amount of U.S. made parts most of us don't give a rats ass and wouldn't know how to tell the difference anyway. If you've got an ax to grind with the cops and are looking for a public forum to do it in congratulations, you've found a home.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 12:35:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Sukebe,

Some people don’t get it and others do. I think you made some rather good points and I appreciate your thoughtfulness FOR OUR PROFESSION.

Neolock,
I would suggest that you try to GO FIGURE out who is saying what.
None of my comments were aimed at firearm knowledge or job requirements.

For the rest of you I’ll make my point with more clarity.
MY POINT:
I detest people who manifest, insignificant matters and then bash all police as clueless; all the while claiming that they are not bashing the police.

It’s called BEING A HYPOCRIT.

Sukebe makes an excellent reference as to irrelevance and total ignorance of assimilating a particular job function, with the overall ability to perform and carry out the law enforcement mission statement.

TO PROTECT AND SERVE.

I need some coffee here.

You all take good care!

Trodog  

Link Posted: 5/16/2002 1:09:13 PM EDT
[#40]
neolock,

Sukebe and TroDog are completely correct except on the point of finding a public forum where you can air any antimosity toward law enforcement.  If you have a question, or want something clarified, then this is the place.  If you want a civilized exchange, you can have it here, too.  Insults don't play here, though.

If you're going to post here, please be civil.

Dave G
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 1:56:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Becuse  cops like all other sections of society has only so many people interested in guns. Being one of the ones that is really into guns I personally don't understand those cops that are not.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 2:09:29 PM EDT
[#42]
I've had a couple of days away from the computer to think about my original post, and I've come to a few realizations.
    1. I shouldn't have worded my question
       so carelessly, after reading it several
       times, I can see why some people took it
       as anti-cop. Not my intention.
    2. It was a foolish question from a LEO's
       point of view. However, I am not a cop
       so it sounded reasonable to me.
    3. I was educated about something I was
       ignorant of. Police don't need to know
       everything or even alot about firearms
       to accomplish their job. I was putting
       too much emphasis on a very small part
       their job.
    4. TroDog - I don't blame ya for getting
       pissed. I tried putting myself in your
       shoes, and guess what? - I would of
       been pissed off at me to. My apologies.
       Also, my condolences to the officers
       who were injured. I know first hand what
       it's like to have a friend and coworker
       seriously injured in the line of duty.

To everybody else - thanks for all your great responses. Everyone take care.
                        FIREGUY

Link Posted: 5/16/2002 2:23:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Trodog you got some mail....Is everything ok?
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 3:42:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
neolock,

Sukebe and TroDog are completely correct except on the point of finding a public forum where you can air any antimosity toward law enforcement.
View Quote

I believe I agreed with TRODOG, Did I not? Reread my post if you think otherwise.

If you have a question, or want something clarified, then this is the place.  If you want a civilized exchange, you can have it here, too.  Insults don't play here, though.

If you're going to post here, please be civil.

Dave G
View Quote

How was my comment uncivil? Yours seems to me to be more of an attack on me. I didn't disagree with anyone. I guess opions that do not fall right in line with yours are not allowed. Is that what you are saying?
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 5:44:56 PM EDT
[#45]
neolock,

If you think my last post was an "attack" on you, you are seriously mistaken.  It was just a reminder that this isn't GD.  The standards of conduct are the same, but civility is maintained at a higher level.  Negative attitudes, especially confrontational ones, should be left at the door.  That applies to everyone.

Opinions expressed in a civilized manner and intended to engender other than hostile discourse are welcomed, but if you're looking for a fight, you've come to the wrong place.

Like I said before, if you're going to post here, please be civil.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 10:18:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 11:06:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Doublefeed,

You cover the ejection port while clearing an auto so you can catch the ejected round.  It's evidence if the weapon was confiscated, it keeps the round clean and uncontaminated by dirt and debris on the ground and prevents damage to the round.  Most important of all, you don't have the chase the damn thing and pick it up after ejection.

Common sense if you're thinking like a cop...
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 12:57:10 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 7:50:16 AM EDT
[#49]
Fireguy,
No hard feeling here, just informative and lively exchanges. Asking a well meaningful question never hurts; however, sometimes the answer can, but-- NO GUTS NO GLORY!

I'm sure a lot of people learned something new!

Welcome aboard!

You all take good care!

TroDog
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 4:39:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Doublefeed,

It works any way you try it.  You don't have to eject the round into your hand, simply drop the magazine and cover the port, rack the slide back and lock it with the slide stop if the weapon has one.  You can either tip the weapon on its side to dump the round out or let it drop out the mag well.

There's more than one way to do most things.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top