Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2002 2:04:39 PM EDT
Just wondering if your dept. allows personal weapons inside the building. Mine has no problem with bringing them in to clean or work on after the official workday is over and as long as there are no civilians around. Just curious.

I work for a full time paid dept.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 6:14:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I guess I'm the only FF on the forum tonite. Oh well
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 6:42:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I quess that would depend on who the duty Captian ,chief or chiefs driver on dutie that night.  Do you still have night watch and gamewells, and light up company out boards?

Been a long time for me ,rookie class of 1968  Okla city fire dept.

You could then get away with most anything back then,only time I ever missed a call was when I was in the shower ,gamewell came on lights came on I jumped out of the shower jumped into my night pants hit the clamshell slide the pole and the chiefs driver told me to go back upstairs and would be back to get me if i were needed.

We had a three company station(truck,engine,squad) On calif And reno we went out all the time about 1/2 false alarms.

My dad retired 22 years as a fire Captian, I quit after 2 and 1/2 years (marriage probs) But I had five redbooks with a 99.7% redbook average, Iv'e took many a 2and1/2 line looped it into a circle and set down on it and put water on lumber yards untill my yellow helmet (turned backwards ) just keep getting lower and lower(melting).

I quess you also have helped turn many lumber yards into parking lots.       But hell yes we took guns in to the station ,traded them there as well.  

Bob   [8D]
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 7:13:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
 Do you still have night watch and gamewells, and light up company out boards?

Bob   [8D]
View Quote

actually, we restored our old gamewell and it's on display in our new firehouse, along with the old firebox and tickertape machine. No more nightwatch in the "hole" thank God.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 7:32:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I know in Philly no city workers can carry while on duty. That is by executive order by the mayor.

As for having them in the house, I don't know. I'll ask my dad. He is a retired fireman.

He did tell me that one house he was transfered to some of the guys would shoot 38's in the basement. He said they used barrels of sand as a backstop. This was in the 80's. He was a Lt and he ordered them to stop shooting in the basement.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 8:00:37 PM EDT
[#5]
You know FIREGUY The hardest thing I could never teach my new young bride,was that the next door neighbors dog could bark till his ass fell out.

Shoot off a gun,blow up the school next door won't bother me, but when you turn on that light up outta bed I come!   On comes the light then the loud speaker, damn near like that sorry-ass pager sound.  

We had a three platoon system day on day off,for three straight days then four days off.    We were paid 405.00 per month.  Good Thing was you worked nine days a month off 21.

Any way God Bless you Dudes exp those on the flying-mop (truck companies)   We had a sorry cap that took pride in putting Keith Hamburger,Chris Slaw,And myself Robert cole, on the back of the engine and we rode on back hanging on for dear life as COLE,SLAW,HAMBURGER.

And no matter how you stood it always read the same!

Bob  [8D]
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 11:02:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Our rules and regs state that firearms are strictly forbidden on dept property.

Luckily everyone I work with, including the BC, is a shooter/hunter. So I regularly bring in projects to work on during off hours. And so does everyone else.

The admin would all have heart attacks if they knew what we do after hours at the firehouse.

bobbyjack, that's some funny stuff!
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 3:58:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Funny stuff bobbyjack,
I know what your talking about with those damn tones! I'd like to find the sadistic SOB that invented them.  Take it easy.
                             Fireguy
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 4:19:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Our stations are owned by the Department of Energy, so no firearms allowed. Most of us are hunters and fishermen, so there's plenty of stories flying around.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 6:08:36 PM EDT
[#9]
SOP's say negative...We say otherwise!...I moonlight on my days off as a Dispatcher...I have to be awake..so should you!:)"yes there are some really sh!^y tones "
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 2:55:14 AM EDT
[#10]
My dept has no such rules set and being every single member (even the women) love guns and usually pack, there is no problem bringing guns into the station house. Myself (safety officer) and the chief go shooting together pretty often.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 11:20:45 PM EDT
[#11]
No real policy, but one of the guys at the first department I ran with OFTEN brought his Ruger 9MM pistol and slid it under his pillow in the bunk room. I slept soundly until tones dropped. (Of course, Ray was a 310 pound bodybuilder with like 2% body fat.) Never knew why he felt like he needed a piece....

I once saw Ray take a car door off with his bare hands before our crash truck could get out of the squad building. He just rocked it back and forth (hitting the fender when he went forward!) until it came loose...

True story...

Scott

Link Posted: 6/6/2002 8:35:54 AM EDT
[#12]
H*ll I clean my guns at mine,so the nitro fumes won't affect my father with a heart condition who lives with me!

They Get a little nervous about you carrying but there are no rules about it and they don't have the BAlls to say anything!
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 4:24:02 AM EDT
[#13]
They used to allow weapons at the station, until we had a little "incident". This whole crew kept messing with one guy til  one day he woke up his buddy standing at the end of the bed with a Winchester 100 saying "time to get up". It didn't seem like that big of deal I guess, Im sure it really was in play. Poor taste I guess. No one thought it was an issue that morning, but by lunch they had worked it up to something it wasn't and ended up calling the police. The ude with the gun ended up taking an early retirement. The guy that kept jacking with him was let go for multiple bad reviews and ultimately pissed hot.
 I used to trade alot at gun shows and have ARs, H&ks. ZSteyers..all kinds of cool stuff at the station....not anymore :(

Tones??? Hell I cant walk through Sam's Club without them keying up a tone to page someone over the intercom. My heart skips a beat..my pulse races. I guess actualy its still kinda cool.

Never came over to this forum...thanks

Thomas FF/EMT

Paid department 13 yrs
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 10:38:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Welcome aboard Thomas!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top