Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2002 8:13:05 PM EDT
Greatings. Im a newbie here at the AR15.com forums, first off, great site. I jumped over here from my other home at the SigForums.com.
 I have a simple, off the record type question. I have a CCW permit in my home state, which allows me to legally carry in 8 other states who recognize my CCW permit.
With my job, I travel constantly. I am usually toting my family around with me as well. My question is, If I am pulled over for a traffic violation, whether its speeding, headlamp infraction, or other reasons. What if anything would you do about my CCW? Obviously I would tell you I had a weapon on me if you asked, but what would you do? I dont have a CCW permit in your state, I have no criminal record, no traffic violations, absolutely clean record. and I carry to protect my family.  What if anything would you do?
This isnt a trick question, Im just looking for some honest opinions from some respected LEO's
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 8:18:44 PM EDT
[#1]
State laws vary widely, you NEED to look up the specifics for each

[url=www.packing.org]This site is one of the better resources[/url]
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 9:11:00 PM EDT
[#2]
A great many LEO's would let you go.  Others would arrest you.  It's kind of a crap shoot as to which kind pulls you over.  I think your chances of getting arrested are much better on the east coast, especially places like New Jersey.  West coast and southern LEO's tend to be more tolerant of this, in my experience.  However, there are cops in every state who would arrest you, so beware.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 9:31:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Im familiar with packing.org. Thats why I stated I can legally carry in 8 other states other than my home of residency.  One reason Im asking this is due to a instance where I left myself and my family open to harm.

Im currently working in South Dakota. They are going to pass a reciprocity law July 1st that will accept WV's CCW permit.
Last week, I had an incident where a man waited for me to vacate my vehicle, after being parked in the parking lot for 8 minutes, then proceeded to sneak up behind my vehicle and attempted to enter the vehicle on the drivers side while my wife and new son were inside. I was exiting the building as he was leaning into the truck. I wasn't carrying, but I confronted the man immediately, and he withdrew. He stated that he wanted to turn off my truck, the fumes were bothering him.

This really left me feeling vulnerable. I carry for protection of myself and family. Even though this incident fizzled without any serious confrontation, it left me thinking. Since then, I have carried in and around town with my family. What if this guy had been a freak wanting to kidnap my family. Do I choose to abide by the law and not carry, or break the law and carry for my families sake and take my chances with the LEO.   I have spoken to the Sheriff in town, and he said off the record, his magistrate wouldn't do anything about it if it came to his attention. I'm just wanting to get some other Officers opinions on what they would do ........
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 5:26:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Dittos with what sparky315 said.
I agree on principle that we should always be armed. However my principle and the second amendments meaning are not the laws of the land. Go figure!
With that being said, check the laws of the land and the morality of your conscience.

Good Luck.

TroDog
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 8:56:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Same here, I've stopped a few folks with CCW's and its a no prob for me...situation dictating, of course...however, last week was on a domestic battery call and by department procedure/ state law, confiscated the CCW...no weapons as there were no weapons involved...but the guy did a damn-damn on his 'spouse's' face, nose and left cheek bone...
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 7:25:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I live in Norman oklahoma and have allways driven within the law,keep my vehicle up to laws pretty much just an old babyboomer. I was driving down our main street (robinson ave) heavy traffic allways as this is a campus town(univ of norman,boomer sooners)

One of normans finnest puts the blue and reds on me, So I do what you are suppost to do (punch it) no i pull over.  Its a lady police person,she says she stopped me because I wasn't wearing my seat belt.

I tell her that I am indeed wearing my seat belt,but not across my chest as it chokes me. She informes me I can buy something from Wall-Mart or such that will keep the belt from eating up my neck.

As she  is running my licence I thing(ordinarilly I'm packing right on my waist) but not today It's a desert eagle .357 mag in its carry case under things in my front seat!

As she comes back to the truck I say oh buy the way I have a conceiled weapon in the truck!  Well then she got really pissed and told me in a very lady like way that that should have been the very first thing that came out of my mouth!

I back stepped gave her my ccw licence and apologized most rightly as I forgot I even had it there.  My insurance company is allways late in giving me new paper work so guess what she gave me a warning on the seat-belt teling me even though I had it on it was improperly worn.

But gave me a ticket for no current auto-insurance,which i went straight to my ins agent got the paper work went to city hall showed it to the clerk,whom immediatly called my insur company to see if it was valid at 12.00am .

And the ticket was null and void at 3.00pm that day.     This is very long and drawn out I know, but the police were very civil and she could have busted my chops for not immediatly telling her I had a gun even though legal.

So in responce If you have a CCW permit and it is recognised buy another state you are traveling through let them know.  And If not keep the bullets away from the gun ,put it in the trunk, and let them know you have it there!

LEOs are just people like you and me,sometimes its best to just let them know.

Bob  [8D]

Link Posted: 5/13/2002 7:48:59 PM EDT
[#7]
this is a campus town(univ of norman,boomer sooners)
View Quote

I have never heard of a "univ of norman." Where exactly is that in Norman? I am aware of a University of Oklahoma, which happens to be located in Norman, Oklahoma.

As she comes back to the truck I say oh buy the way I have a conceiled weapon in the truck! Well then she got really pissed and told me in a very lady like way that that should have been the very first thing that came out of my mouth!
View Quote

Nice going, meathead. That's covered in the 8-hour CCW course and is in the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act manual, too. Hand your CCW license over along with your driver's license and proof of insurance.

TITLE 21 § 1290.8. Possession of license required-notification to police
of gun
POSSESSION OF LICENSE REQUIRED-NOTIFICATION TO POLICE
OF GUN

C. It shall be unlawful for any person to fail or refuse to identify the fact
that the person is in actual possession of a concealed handgun pursuant
to the authority of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act when the person
first comes into contact with any law enforcement officer of this state
or its political subdivisions or a federal law enforcement officer during
the course of any arrest, detainment, or routine traffic stop. Any
violation of the provisions of this subsection shall, upon conviction, be
a misdemeanor punishable by a fine not exceeding Five Hundred
Dollars ($500.00), by imprisonment in the county jail for a period not
to exceed ninety (90) days, or by both such fine and imprisonment. In
addition to any criminal prosecution for a violation of the provisions of
this subsection, the licensee shall be subject to a six-month suspension
of the license and an administrative fine of Fifty Dollars ($50.00), upon
a hearing and determination by the Bureau that the person in violation
of the provisions of this subsection.
View Quote

I KNOW this is covered in the CCW course, because a BIG deal is made of it. Hint: stay awake next time.

I'm not sure if I buy your "insurance" tale either.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 8:18:46 PM EDT
[#8]
JIMsmart ass DANDY    I quess you probably never heard of USA,Of course it's really United States Of America.      And do you have a CCW,or would just like to have one?   Allways nice to meet one in my own state with such brotherly love .  

Have a nice day by the way.

Bob [8D]
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 8:21:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Didn't someone offer you a hot cup of SHUT THE FUCK UP awhile back? How 'bout taking a big drink and beatin' it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 8:28:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Was that you,you little shit that indeed offerd me that cup of joe?  As we are both local,I'm sure we could meet and have that cup of joe in person .   What do you think about that?

Bob[8D]
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 8:30:40 PM EDT
[#11]
[b][size=6]LET'S GET IT ON!!![/size=6][/b]
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 8:34:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Let's keep it civil if you please.  This isn't GD.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 8:34:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Well like i said,I'm here in norman.  Where would you be?     Bob
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 8:38:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Dave G  I thought i was keeping it very civil,but I guess I'm not being very mature here.

Thanks for reminding me of this.    BOB [8D]
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 8:38:17 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm like Santa Claus: I'm everywhere.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 8:39:12 PM EDT
[#16]
It's so easy to be tough on the internet, isn't it?
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 8:42:16 PM EDT
[#17]
It's so easy to be tough on the internet, isn't it?
View Quote

[b]bobbyjack[/b] thinks so.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 8:42:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Bobby, you should have just "forgot" about it once you realized you had not disclosed it at the beginning of the stop. They have no right to search your car in the first damn place.

Hey Jim, so he forgot to comply with a stupid law, who the hell cares.

The best advice is to comply with what you can and not get caught doing what your not supposed to.

Hell, we have all been drinking underage and violating countless stupid laws our whole lives.

Again, just don't get caught, it's not that hard. I had a gun in the car illegally for many years till I was of age and got a permit, 2 traffic stops back then, never had a problem.

Slavery was legal

Prohibition was legal

The War on Drugs is legal

Income tax is legal

The 1934-1994 gun bans are legal

Legality means nothing. Do what works.

Just MY humble opinion.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 8:47:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Hey Jim, so he forgot to comply with a stupid law, who the hell cares.
View Quote

Apparently [b]bobbyjack[/b] does, 'cause he brought it up.

Hell, we have all been drinking underage and violating countless stupid laws our whole lives.
View Quote

Not me. I don't ever play my music too loud either.

Again, just don't get caught, it's not that hard. I had a gun in the car illegally for many years till I was of age and got a permit, 2 traffic stops back then, never had a problem.
View Quote

Well, if you did get caught, you could've sought out [b]bobbyjack[/b] for legal advice. Just don't ask him to write a court brief or habeas corpus for you. You might get the death penalty.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 9:25:56 PM EDT
[#20]
GUNPLAY    You are so right being a small time stop,and with no back piors I should have just been cool.    But being caught with a loaded gun kinda gets scarry at any time,and little things get bigger sometimes.   And I did tell her just not right out of the chute, so all in all I learned a good cheap lesson.

bob [8D]
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 10:32:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Jim_Dandy,

I asked you to be civil.  You're acting like a troll.  I'd like to refer you to the Forum Conduct Guidlines, specifically the following:

3) Threats of violence against another member written in a serious manner. (If its a joke, make sure that point is VERY clear.)

4) No pissing matches. Its fine to disagree, but once a thread has run its course, and degenerated into little more than an insult fest, it will be locked.

6) Pure trolling. Either to piss someone off or simply for your personal enjoyment. If you're here to cause trouble, it will be a very short stay.

7) No personal attacks towards ANYONE. If you have a problem with someone, then take it offline with them. If it's with a member of the staff or a moderator, then contact someone from the Senior Staff. Attacking a person, ANY PERSON, in a non-joking manner (clearly visible as a joke) will not be tolerated. Joking and teasing are fine, but if you cross the line, apologize before things get worse. This includes provoking someone into an attack.

This is your warning.  Keep it civil.

Dave G
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 8:24:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Schlep,

I am a LEO in upstate NY.  I carry my off-duty weapon pretty much anywhere I go.  I don't carry in MA, as most of the MA troopers are brutal.  I am sure there are good ones and those who look out for their fellow brothers and sisters, but a mandatory 1 year in jail, causes me to leave it behind.  I carry pretty much everywhere else.  I don't care where your a cop, whether your full-time or part-time, any LEO will have no problem with me.  I feel that your out there fighting a lot of scumbags like me, you should have every right to defend yourself and your family.  I hope that someday HR 218 will make it through.  That would eliminate the whole issue.  Stay safe!
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 12:16:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Schlep,

I am a LEO in upstate NY.  I carry my off-duty weapon pretty much anywhere I go.  I don't carry in MA, as most of the MA troopers are brutal.  I am sure there are good ones and those who look out for their fellow brothers and sisters, but a mandatory 1 year in jail, causes me to leave it behind.  I carry pretty much everywhere else.  I don't care where your a cop, whether your full-time or part-time, any LEO will have no problem with me.  I feel that your out there fighting a lot of scumbags like me, you should have every right to defend yourself and your family.  I hope that someday HR 218 will make it through.  That would eliminate the whole issue.  Stay safe!
View Quote

I'm feel pretty much the same way as Jake75.

My best advice to Schlep is to not get pulled over in the first place. If you do, be advised that it really depends on the personality of the officer that pulls you over. Some are cool as hell and will chat about guns with you all day(like me) and some are straight up JBT's(I've been pulled over numerous times to prove it!). Just be careful out there.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 1:35:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Don't know about your state. Here in MI you must say you have a gun with you, if you have a CCW. Courts have decided that anytime during the stop, even after I give you the ticket and you are about to drive away. Remember your family. I carry everywhere I go. It is the first thing out of my mouth. I don't if the guy at gas station where I filled up called the Police or it's just a traffic/equipment stop; or if the pistol was seen when I got stopped. I know that when I see a gun in a car or one is reported my Sig is out when I exit my car.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 1:45:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Here in Wa its considered polite etiquitte to inform a LEO your carrying in your car but its not required . Once I handed an officer my license , CCW and insurance at the same time and he promptly handed my CCW back saying its not necessary but thanks for the thought anyway .
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 6:19:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I live in Norman oklahoma and have allways driven within the law,keep my vehicle up to laws pretty much just an old babyboomer. I was driving down our main street (robinson ave) heavy traffic allways as this is a campus town(univ of norman,boomer sooners)

One of normans finnest puts the blue and reds on me, So I do what you are suppost to do (punch it) no i pull over.  Its a lady police person,she says she stopped me because I wasn't wearing my seat belt.

I tell her that I am indeed wearing my seat belt,but not across my chest as it chokes me. She informes me I can buy something from Wall-Mart or such that will keep the belt from eating up my neck.

As she  is running my licence I thing(ordinarilly I'm packing right on my waist) but not today It's a desert eagle .357 mag in its carry case under things in my front seat!

As she comes back to the truck I say oh buy the way I have a conceiled weapon in the truck!  Well then she got really pissed and told me in a very lady like way that that should have been the very first thing that came out of my mouth!

I back stepped gave her my ccw licence and apologized most rightly as I forgot I even had it there.  My insurance company is allways late in giving me new paper work so guess what she gave me a warning on the seat-belt teling me even though I had it on it was improperly worn.

But gave me a ticket for no current auto-insurance,which i went straight to my ins agent got the paper work went to city hall showed it to the clerk,whom immediatly called my insur company to see if it was valid at 12.00am .

And the ticket was null and void at 3.00pm that day.     This is very long and drawn out I know, but the police were very civil and she could have busted my chops for not immediatly telling her I had a gun even though legal.

So in responce If you have a CCW permit and it is recognised buy another state you are traveling through let them know.  And If not keep the bullets away from the gun ,put it in the trunk, and let them know you have it there!

LEOs are just people like you and me,sometimes its best to just let them know.

Bob  [8D]

[/quote

Hey, my sister is a police officer in Norman!!!!!!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top