Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2011 5:02:20 PM EDT
Maybe it's just me or my district....

But are more of the patients or folks you're coming across in your calls, especially those on the lower end of the socio-economic scale, becoming increasingly combative & hostile?

Damn... Just had a fighter.... Turn a simple animal bite call, into a full scale melee.... Dude went full on retard... I'm talking we were all rolling around in the dirt... Well... I wasn't... Can't get my white shirt dirty! I was on the radio calling fire control to send the "Other agency" NOW.. as the scene wasn't 77..... Freaking coppers never showed up either....

Muh'fucker didn't know about that station 10 choke hold!

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:38:14 PM EDT
[#1]
i work on a department that deal with AD airforce and AD army. i have been on one that sticks in my mind where a drunk suicidle army spouse got into a full on brawl with the SP's because she didnt want to give up her drink so we could get a baseline set of vitals. (she had attempted to Barbituate overdose)
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:57:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Several years ago a neighboring department, we are all volunteer and rural area, responded to a call about a kitchen fire. Turns out it had been started by a couple of guys fighting over a girl. They were fighting with knives and the deputy did not want to get into the middle of it with them fighting. After one of the fireman turned a crosslay on them they were begging to get into the back of the patrol car.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:43:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I worked on a very low income department, most of my calls ended up with me either fishing a 14 for the hell of it, pressure points, chemical sedation or good old fistacuffs.

Thank god I'm retired.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 10:16:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Several years ago a neighboring department, we are all volunteer and rural area, responded to a call about a kitchen fire. Turns out it had been started by a couple of guys fighting over a girl. They were fighting with knives and the deputy did not want to get into the middle of it with them fighting. After one of the fireman turned a crosslay on them they were begging to get into the back of the patrol car.

That is such a beautiful story that I have tears in my eyes
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 1:36:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Nothing new here.  Having to subdue the patients here is a regular part of the day.  I enjoy the few quiet days when I don't have to break out the restraints, vitamin H and V.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:09:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:23:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Funny how 150psi from a TFT will shut down most anyone.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:44:54 AM EDT
[#8]
I haven't noticed any more combative patients than usual. I do, however, work in a fairly wealthy town so we don't have nearly as many people of the lower socioeconomic levels.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:07:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I sometimes get the feeling like Im back in Atlanta again, which I really never believed could be possible..

Quote:
BELLMORE, N.Y. - Police on Long Island say a fire department volunteer has been shot and the suspect killed at the scene of an auto accident on Long Island.

A police spokeswoman said the volunteer did not sustain life threatening injuries and was taken to a local hospital. She did not know the nature of his volunteer work with the department.

http://www.jems.com/article/news/long-island-accident-victim-op
http://connect.jems.com/video/ny-accident-victim-fires-on
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top